• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League of America Collecting Thread
2 2

2,058 posts in this topic

Over the last 3 months, I've picked up a couple JLA's in the 60's in CGC 9.6

for $250-275---I thought I could pick some more up on the Clink auction for around $250-350----winning bids were in the $700's :o

:o Maybe it`s time to slab some of my raw JLAs from that period!

Tim, you have JLAs post '64?? I thought you limited yourself to the first 30? Or am I confusing you with Scott(Acesilver)?

As for the price jumps, there aren't too many vets left to boost this stuff, right Tim :baiting:.

So, there must be an influx of new blood on the scene (just lookie-loos, or ready to get in & mix things up? hm )

Rick

Here's a paperback book I bought in the late 70's. Along with a World's Finest one. I must have read these numerous times.

jlab.jpg[/img]

I bought those two books at a book fair in the 5th grade!

"JLA Role call"

doh!

Good eye! lol I never noticed. I must have been too enthralled as a kid. These were great to have back then but the Marvel Pocketbooks in color were even better.

please explain the utter lunacy in the clink bidding. thanks

(shrug)

I have no idea Mike

Hopefully this is not a trend, otherwise I will never finish my JLA run

for $250-275---I thought I could pick some more up on the Clink auction for around $250-350----winning bids were in the $700's :o

yes, those prices were mindboggling- it's not like these books don't come up in grade. who pays 2-3x gpa?? i suspect it's talk of the movie but maybe it's something else.

The trend seems to be continuing. The 9.6 JLA 87 just sold on Heritage for $310, including the BP, which is almost 8X Guide. I don't follow the market for BA JLAs, but this seems like it must be a pretty strong price.

(shrug)

I have no idea Mike

yes, those prices were mindboggling- it's not like these books don't come up in grade. who pays 2-3x gpa?? i suspect it's talk of the movie but maybe it's something else.

The trend seems to be continuing. The 9.6 JLA 87 just sold on Heritage for $310, including the BP, which is almost 8X Guide. I don't follow the market for BA JLAs, but this seems like it must be a pretty strong price.

That's a strong price for #87. It seems any copy in CGC 9.6 is trending way up.

I still can't believe some of those issues in the 60's broke $700. At least, the CGC 9.4 issues don't seem to have gone out of control. So maybe I will be able to win something in the November heritage auction. :wishluck:

(shrug)

I have no idea Mike

if you consider "strong" 2.5x what the last one sold for in mid 06 or 4.5x what a 9.4 sold for in mid 07, then yes, "strong" is one word you could use. "nuts" is another.

I was looking at the registry points for my JLA's and have noticed that the price

I have paid for a particular book is pretty much consistent with how many registry points were awarded.

For example, JLA # 50 CGC 9.4 270 registry points (paid $262).

hm

I was looking at the registry points for my JLA's and have noticed that the price

I have paid for a particular book is pretty much consistent with how many registry points were awarded.

hm

So the moral of the story is if you would pay more for your books, your registry points would increase and you'd soon overtake Rick at the top of the mountain. :baiting:

hm

So the moral of the story is if you would pay more for your books, your registry points would increase and you'd soon overtake Rick at the top of the mountain. :baiting:

Rick beware! I'm only 27,000 points behind you :baiting:

After seeing all the "classy books" posted in this thread, I thought I'd add a few for the common man.

jla11frg.jpg

jla15p.jpg

I did pick up this copy fairly recently:

bandb28cgc4.5.jpg

I love the early JLA's. I have a JLA #12 in about that condition. I got to

get myself a BB 28 :cloud9:

hm

Guys, I just recently discovered that they just added "JLA 100-200," so...uh...that's gonna be another mountain for y'all to climb!

*Coming soon in the Bronze and/or Copper forum: Justice League of America Collecting Thread * :applause:

Rick

hm

Guys, I just recently discovered that they just added "JLA 100-200," so...uh...that's gonna be another mountain for y'all to climb!

*Coming soon in the Bronze and/or Copper forum: Justice League of America Collecting Thread * :applause:

Rick

Rick,

I'm trying to decide on whether or not to pursue #101-200. I would be looking for

CGC 9.6 or better, but they seem to be sparse on the CGC census and seem to sell for too much when they do appear. How available do you think these issues are in ultra high-grade?

hm

Rick

Rick,

I'm trying to decide on whether or not to pursue #101-200. I would be looking for

CGC 9.6 or better, but they seem to be sparse on the CGC census and seem to sell for too much when they do appear. How available do you think these issues are in ultra high-grade---as Raw books

Rick,

CGC 9.6 or better, but they seem to be sparse on the CGC census and seem to sell for too much when they do appear. How available do you think these issues are in ultra high-grade---as Raw books

Remember the trickle-down factor: As the earlier, hard-to-find issues continue to rise in value/price, it will bring up the books underneath. Also, bear in mind that -currently- low Census numbers in this range mean they're not yet worth it to slab 'em. But with talk of the movie bringing the title to the forefront, that will all soon change.

I think finding these in "ultra-high grade" will be tougher than normal because JLA was not a 'speculative' title, so neither dealers nor collectors hoarded them. But I'm referring to 9.8, not 9.6. Plus, I'm sure prices will soften on NM+s after the movie is released...even if it's a monumental success. So of course, timing is important. And I'm referring to both slabbed as well as raw. 9.6s should not be that tough.

As for 9.8s, try this example on for size:

I have a 1976 CGC #136 (Joker cover) which was the 1st 9.8 in 2003 (1 of 2 out of 19) that I wouldn't even think of letting go for less than $300.

'Course that's just me...I'm biased. :cloud9:

Rick