• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League of America Collecting Thread
2 2

2,060 posts in this topic

I agree that it is a fugly miswrap, but prices paid on 9.8s or 9.4+ "HIGHEST GRADED COPIES" do not surprise me any longer. :P

It looks like there is a segment of speculator/investor collectors that want the highest graded runs possible and just buy the label, not the book.

Edited by kimik

Are these prices strong, weak, or in line with other recent results? Any surprises to the low or high side?

Here's my take on a few, for what it's worth.

14 9.2 ow/w $1300 :owow, I can remember when nearmint was shopping his very solid 9.4 copy forever for less than this!

Mound City JLA 14 soon to be pressed. A few scratches on the case, slight spine roll, I am very pleased with the book.

JLA14.jpg

Edited by linmoth

Uh, Tim, this IS the Mound City copy! Are you assuming I did a crack/press/resub with the 9.4? Either your grading is a bit off on this one, or the slabs hide defects really well???

And hold onto your hat...the 9.6 is better than the 9.4 (to me anyways).

True the 9.4 has better centering & White pages, but it also has more noticeable spine stress (where the word balloon hides it) and a chipped UL corner. It's a close call & I wouldn't argue with someone preferring the other. But with both books in hand, the 9.6 deserves its superior grade.

Funny, after your comment about the POS MC 9.6, I thought your eyes were better than mine and I was looking at a possible pressing. But after receiving it, it is better structurally and IMO visually than the 9.4 copy.

When I get the time I'll post gigantor scans of each to get a board comparison.

Rick

Are these prices strong, weak, or in line with other recent results? Any surprises to the low or high side?

Here's my take on a few, for what it's worth.

14 9.2 ow/w $1300 :owow, I can remember when nearmint was shopping his very solid 9.4 copy forever for less than this!

Mound City JLA 14 soon to be pressed. A few scratches on the case, slight spine roll, I am very pleased with the book.

JLA14.jpg

I thought I could bate Tim into a rant on pressing by my comment on this book. It's going to be pressed but under archival glass.

With this:

jla14cov.jpg

Uh, Tim, this IS the Mound City copy! Are you assuming I did a crack/press/resub with the 9.4? Either your grading is a bit off on this one, or the slabs hide defects really well???

Nah, I was just confusing myself. Indications of early onset of Alzheimer's. When you posted your book, I somehow had it in my head that the Toth copy, which I knew you had, was a 9.6 too. I'm glad you clarified that this was the MC copy, though, because I remember thinking as I made my post that I thought the "9.6" Toth copy was well centered.

And hold onto your hat...the 9.6 is better than the 9.4 (to me anyways).

True the 9.4 has better centering & White pages, but it also has more noticeable spine stress (where the word balloon hides it) and a chipped UL corner. It's a close call & I wouldn't argue with someone preferring the other. But with both books in hand, the 9.6 deserves its superior grade.

Funny, after your comment about the POS MC 9.6, I thought your eyes were better than mine and I was looking at a possible pressing. But after receiving it, it is better structurally and IMO visually than the 9.4 copy.

When I get the time I'll post gigantor scans of each to get a board comparison.

Rick

I'm glad to hear that your in-person inspection shows the MC copy is indeed structurally better than the Toth copy. I can only point to the ginormous raw scan that the MC folks posted, before it was slabbed, and I wasn't the only one who was stunned when it came back with a 9.6 label.

I'd offer to buy your 9.4 Toth copy now that I know it's your spare copy, but I just sold off most of my best remaining JLAs.

I thought I could bate Tim into a rant on pressing by my comment on this book.

I had a feeling something was up and thus I resisted my initial urge. ;)

It's going to be pressed but under archival glass.

With this:

jla14cov.jpg

Day-um!

(worship)

Edited by tth2