• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League of America Collecting Thread
2 2

2,059 posts in this topic

Mound City JLA 14 soon to be pressed. A few scratches on the case, slight spine roll, I am very pleased with the book.

I thought I could bate Tim into a rant on pressing by my comment on this book. It's going to be pressed but under archival glass.

With this:

jla14cov.jpg

Impressive! JLA cover OA, huh? hm

Rick

I'm glad to hear that your in-person inspection shows the MC copy is indeed structurally better than the Toth copy. I can only point to the ginormous raw scan that the MC folks posted, before it was slabbed, and I wasn't the only one who was stunned when it came back with a 9.6 label.

You guys had me convinced that it was an automatic re-sub (with or without pressing?) until I had it in hand. If it was truly over-graded compared to the 9.4, I was ready to flip it -at a loss?- knowing for certain I had the better book regardless of the label.

I'd offer to buy your 9.4 Toth copy now that I know it's your spare copy, but I just sold off most of my best remaining JLAs.

So much for that option, Tim :mad:

Instead, go ahead & PM the buyer of your JLAs to me. Thanx buddy, you're the best.

Rick

Instead, go ahead & PM the buyer of your JLAs to me. Thanx buddy, you're the best.

He`d only be interested in your 9.6 copy. He`s got a real fetish for top of census.

Great, just what I need...more competition.

Willing to provide any details as to why you've dropped out?

I know "JLA sucks" but this is kinda harsh?

PM if need be.

Rick

Me too.

:hi:

He`d only be interested in your 9.6 copy. He`s got a real fetish for top of census.

doh! Is that Brulato guy now buying DC's?? :censored:

PM if need be.

Rick

Me too.

:hi:

Me 3

:gossip:

PM if need be.

Rick

No great mystery, Rick. My disenchantment with the hobby has been growing exponentially, for reasons that are pretty well known and don`t need to be rehashed here.

I`ve been a net seller since 2006, so this just continues the trend. It`s actually kind of startling (and saddening) when I think about what I`ve sold off over the last 3 years.

Sorry to hear this, Tim.

Though I have noticed an...edgier tone to your posts, I didn't realize it had gone this far. I hope you can somehow re-capture the passion you once had & not let outside circumstances (I can think of a couple) dampen your enthusiasm.

I should be happy that I no longer have to bid against you or AceSilver anymore...

I should be.

Rick

I should be happy that I no longer have to bid against you or AceSilver anymore...

You probably would've picked up your Toth JLA #6 a lot cheaper if I'd bailed out a lot earlier. lol

Unfortunately, Scott definitely got the worst end of bidding against me.

He ended up winning the #5 and #15 for nosebleed prices because we were both going for the books, and then ended up indirectly selling them to me at much lower prices when he sold off his collection. The same thing would`ve happened with his #9 except that it became a 9.6 upon resub and he made a very tidy profit off of it.

I guess the moral of the story is don`t outbid me because I know I`m overpaying, which means you must be seriously overpaying! lol

Edited by tth2

Wow Tim, how much you get for selling your sensitivity?

Overpaying is relative to time & resources, but if it makes you feel better trying to make others feel bad...

Sounds like sour grapes, dude. Whatever's making you so bitter lately, I hope you get things worked out. Seriously.

Rick

PS: Thanx for "letting" me have the #2 9.6 "POS" so cheaply.

Chill out Rick, it was just meant as a joke that I used to be willing to pay crazy prices and therefore by definition anyone who was willing to pay more was even crazier.

Scott and I were friends. I was never trying to punish bid him. In fact, after the JLA 15 auction, we realized what we were doing was crazy and I stepped back from the JLAs because he clearly wanted them more than I did. It just turned out that when he sold the books, I ended up being the winning bidder at less than what he paid (and less than what I'd been willing to pay when they were up for auction the first time). He accepted the results with good humor, realizing that's always the risk you run when you pay really aggressively for books and then put them up for auction instead of trying to do a direct privately negotiated deal.

When it came to JLAs, I was never really the market-maker, and in most cases was the underbidder. First to Scott, and then after he pulled out, you suddenly upped your game in recent years and suddenly I was unknowingly underbidding you. If you'd have let me know beforehand, then I could have pulled back the same way I did with Scott. But the first time I realized you'd won the Toth #6, and the 9.6 #14, and then the MC #6, was from reading your posts on these boards. And I'm glad you won the MC #6 at a relatively reasonable price.

:foryou:

Let's put this thread back on the positiveI Posted this elsewhere, but it definitely belongs here (recently from Pedigree, Doug was very patient when my cc suddenly froze without warning. Thanx, you just made the top 'o my list!) :

(worship) Awesome copy Rick.

Thanx all!

As I stated in the "HG addiction" thread, I decided to go with either the Best (as long as I can afford it) or readers.

Tim gets partial credit for my decision to dive into the deep end of the pool. I thank you. (thumbs u And my wife thanks you. :mad:

Rick

Hi guys, new to these boards.

I have just bought JLA 1-5. I got 1 from Mark Zaid. The others are ebay purchases. All are in transit and I have fingers crossed on grading.

Other that B&B 28, any other recommendations for comics to be picking up?

Thanks

Sanj