• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MASK 2 (rarely seen) sells on ebay

14 posts in this topic

I rarely ever see this book up for sale. This is a very decent looking copy except for the obvious missing corner....it sold for 564.00.

It was described as being unrestored, with tears by the staples.

I would love to have both issues from this title one day.

Does anyone own either/both copies ???

mask2cv.jpg

mask2bc.jpg

The condition of the copy you posted above would not be one that I would consider for my collection due to the faded colors and black. I'd rather have a copy with a Cole "poster color" cover (Mask 1 and 2, Contact 12, Power 3, etc.) with missing pieces and/or cover tears instead of a faded one. The colors are why most people want the book.

My Mask 1 is about a VG+ and Mask 2 is a CGC 4.0. I can't find my scan of the latter, though. #1 is my favorite comic book cover, and #2 is probably in my top 10.

I actually saw low grade copies of both books at the Philadelphia show, but I thought they were overpriced. Conditions were Fair or Good- at best and prices were over $400 each, if I remember correctly.

801743-MaskComics1.jpg

Everytime I see this book I want to kick myself in the butt. (Mask 1) I had the opportunity to buy a fine/vf copy of this book from a dealer named Clay Kimball back when I was living in Greensboro, NC. The time was around 1990....and the price?

50 bucks!!!!!!!!!

However, it might as well have been 1000 to me back then as I was in college and starving. I still remember holding that black covered beauty in my hands and trying to get Clay to lower his price, but he wouldn't. Where is my time machine when I need one?

Scott

We all have situations like that.... I kick myself thinking of some of the original art I could have purchased. The prices seem cheap today, but like you said, it could have been a million bucks... I just didn't have it!

A combo set sold a few months back by a forum member here on ebay. They were both slabbed, and I think the #2 was in better shape than the #1.

Awesome covers on both.

The 2 was a 7.5, the 1 was a 5.5. I saw them before he shipped them. Somebody in Vegas won the auction. I ended up buying the 750 other 40s and early 50s comics he had in that collection.

I like to mess around doing photo-editing, I came up with this, I thought it looked pretty cool

MASK2.jpg

Before ever REALLY looking at the image on the cover, I discovered some interesting things....

1. Is the guy in the bottom left corner covering his mouth in fear or is that a CREEPY HAND grasping at his face, dragging him under.

2. The devils tale is VERY long, an ominous SHARP tip.

3. The flames in the LOGO are super cool

4. The smiling and frowning characters to the sides of the logo are cool

5. The devil pointing STRAIGHT DOWN adds a horrific effect

6. The angst and agony on the lonely souls faces emote a troubling feeling

7. The use of multiple colors on everyones faces is eerie

8. The red, green blue, black face of the devil is peculiar

9. The green girl in the bottom right, with her hair bursting into flames, swirling up the right side.

10. The way the devil seems to take such GLEE with the suffering people

11. The way the devil was drawn to look so muscular and utterly in control

12. The spear (trident ?) he's holding, also pointing down, weird.

Just one of the coolest comic covers ever !!!

Plus, you NEVER see it in high grade.

I wonder if there was ever an issue number three planned.

October tells us: "Mask 2: This is truly L.B. Cole's greatest masterpiece. Its imagery remains unparalleled in the genre as the cover somehow manages to be basic yet detailed, primary yet colorful, and aesthetical yet profound. The central figure is none other than Satan himself, portrayed in classic fashion complete with tail and pitchfork. Here he is rendering his punishment on those souls who sinned during life. Some are burned by hellfire, some immersed in strange liquids, some menaced by his spear. The Devil's face has an almost theatrical design to it, perhaps playing off the title and the Greek comedy and drama masks beside it. His shading and musculature are rendered wonderfully, and the black background really makes the figure pop out with its deep reds. Cole favored the use of jet blacks on his covers, as he felt it created a "void" on the comic stand that drew the buyer's eye. This one is certainly no exception. Not only does it stand out as being one of the first black covers, its overtly evil content, strong use of primary colors (a Cole trademark), and absolutely wonderful layout make this one of the greatest achievements the medium has yet produced. For me, this cover represents the absolute pinnacle of comic book cover art, superhero or otherwise."

That's right. My all-time favorite cover from any genre and any age. cloud9.gif

....too bad I don't have a copy. The one that just sold was in my price range, but the blacks looked washed out and the chip really marred the eye-appeal. frown.gif