• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another hilarious eBay auction - thanks, CharltonGuy

63 posts in this topic

HAH! Just as I suspected. He cracks me up too, so I'm glad to see people egging him on. He was the same ebay seller with the Restor-o-lator that used a microwave oven, a bottle of cream soda and a pancake griddle or something like that a while back, right?

I'll get back to you if he doesn't take you up on the Hawaii offer.

I know no-zing about Batman Hush, so can't judge whether you got burned on two books or a bargain on 50!

Jack

never forgets familiar Fays

Jack, hi.gif

That's a good sign you don't know no-zing about modern books, so that means you must be a GA collector if I remember you correctly. Do you have any SA books because I would need something to read on the beach. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

GA, SA, all the way to modern. More or less omnivorous, but haven't run into Hush, probably because it hasn't hit the cheapo bins.

Most of the GA comics I own would be in no lower condition after a trip to the beach.

And I wouldn't have to work ever again correct. thumbsup2.gif

[What does she mean by "again"?]

This would be an interesting offer, Hawaii for six months and I could buy as

many comic books as I liked, within reason of course.

hm. I may have gotten some details of the offer wrong. I thought I was the one who'd get to lounge on the beach reading funnybooks.

I would really have to think for a few seconds before I got back to you. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oh yea, I nearly forgot one more small little tiny request, could my Husband

come along. I think you might like him even if the Prik doesn't like funny

books. insane.gif27_laughing.gif

flowerred.gif

That would be a perfect arrangement, since it would give my wife (with similarly odd taste) someone to talk to.

Jack

I just asked him what Pedgree collection it was from. That will determine my bid.

27_laughing.gif

This was his response.

Hello and thanks for your interest in this item. This is indeed a Pedigree copy, from the Green Mile High Pedigree collection. I came upon it (sorry about that) early in 1868 when I was shopping for figs at a small street market in Maine. A strange little fellow came up and said that he had some comics for sale. This little feller's name was Hermann P. Grummond. He had once owned a news-stand in Portland, Maine and had a volumnuous warehouse where he had carefully archived five of each comic book ever produced by D.C. comics. He offered me some lobster, I gave him some of my figs, and we struck up a fast and close friendship that lasted until his death in 1983. If not for those figs, I might never have met Hermann, and thus might never have gotten into comic collecting at all. At that time, I much prefered reading old tran station timetables. However, after our fig and lobster snack, he gave me this comic book, which I have since kept and preserved (yes, and pressed, see previous question), and cherished ever since Hermann's passing. So it is with great regret and much nostalgia that I part with this beauty. In case you didn't know, the Green Mile High collection didn't hit the greater comic collecting market until 1997, when Hermann's cousin Ethyl decided it was time to cash in on this rare Pedigree collection so she could buy some new teeth. These Green Mile High books are now cropping up in some of the highest priced comic book showrooms from coast to coast, but as far as I know, this is the only Green Mile High comic that has ever been offered up on ebay. Direct form Hermann P. Grummond to you. With love and nostalgia written all over it. Well... not ACTUALLY written all over it, but you know what I mean. I am sure that if this book is sent to CGC, it would be appropriately noted as a "Green Mile High Collection" Pedigree copy. A book for the ages...sigh... Thanks again and best regards, The Charlton Guy

Too funny. 27_laughing.gif

this is what he said when I asked if it was pressed....

A: Yes. It has. See? I'm not afraid to disclose any and all work that has been done on this book. But please note, both CGC and a good portion of the greater comic collecting community does NOT consider pressing to be restoration. They are so wise... so wise... Thus, my QUARANTINED UNRESTORED IRON-CLAD GUARANTEE! is still in effect. I love it when that happens! As to the extent of the pressing, it was accomplished as follows: 1) I kept the comic in a long-box that was so tightly packed that you couldn't slip a 2mm plastic shim in there if you tried. 2) I continued the pressing process with the application of a Sunbeam Model 6-F120 steam iron with an intermediary piece of treated acid free paper to ensure that there was no scorching (I hate it when that happens). 3) I took two large 1/2" plates of stainless steel, put the comic in-between them, then ran over it repeatedly in my driveway with my 1992 Fifth Avenue. 4) I then used a Cuisinart Model 360 garlic press to ensure that those razor sharp corners stayed razor sharp. and finally, 5) I put it back in the long-box for one more year until I took it out to scan it for this auction. You couldn't press this baby any flatter if you tried! Should you be lucky enough to be the winning bidder, I would suggest that all of this pressing pedigree would be better verified at a local Dry Cleaners than at CGC, as they turn a blind eye to pressing. They are so wise... so wise... I just LOVE flat comics! Don't you? Thanks for your interest and good luck in your bidding. Best regards, The Charlton Guy

this book from another auction looks like it's from the same pedigree!

Ebay

xmex6.jpg

It looks like it's had its spleen removed.......,

I just asked him what Pedgree collection it was from. That will determine my bid.

27_laughing.gif

This was his response.

Hello and thanks for your interest in this item. This is indeed a Pedigree copy, from the Green Mile High Pedigree collection. I came upon it (sorry about that) early in 1868 when I was shopping for figs at a small street market in Maine. A strange little fellow came up and said that he had some comics for sale. This little feller's name was Hermann P. Grummond. He had once owned a news-stand in Portland, Maine and had a volumnuous warehouse where he had carefully archived five of each comic book ever produced by D.C. comics. He offered me some lobster, I gave him some of my figs, and we struck up a fast and close friendship that lasted until his death in 1983. If not for those figs, I might never have met Hermann, and thus might never have gotten into comic collecting at all. At that time, I much prefered reading old tran station timetables. However, after our fig and lobster snack, he gave me this comic book, which I have since kept and preserved (yes, and pressed, see previous question), and cherished ever since Hermann's passing. So it is with great regret and much nostalgia that I part with this beauty. In case you didn't know, the Green Mile High collection didn't hit the greater comic collecting market until 1997, when Hermann's cousin Ethyl decided it was time to cash in on this rare Pedigree collection so she could buy some new teeth. These Green Mile High books are now cropping up in some of the highest priced comic book showrooms from coast to coast, but as far as I know, this is the only Green Mile High comic that has ever been offered up on ebay. Direct form Hermann P. Grummond to you. With love and nostalgia written all over it. Well... not ACTUALLY written all over it, but you know what I mean. I am sure that if this book is sent to CGC, it would be appropriately noted as a "Green Mile High Collection" Pedigree copy. A book for the ages...sigh... Thanks again and best regards, The Charlton Guy

Charlton Guy is my hero!

Question: is Charlton Guy someone on these boards? Come on, fess-up.

27_laughing.gif

This was his response.

Charlton Guy is my hero!

apparently so. he is rather active on the Stlcomics.com messageboards as well

27_laughing.gif

This was his response.

Charlton Guy is my hero!

apparently so. he is rather active on the Stlcomics.com messageboards as well

Look above, he beat you by 45 minutes tongue.gif