• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy 15 / Amazing Spider-Man 1- LOW Grade Prices

28 posts in this topic

Setting aside availability problems, I'm just trying to get an idea as to the estimated prices on raw copies of Amazing Fantasy 15 and Amazing Spider-Man BELOW 2.0 GOOD (i.e. 1.0 - 1.5)?

Any and all feedback appreciated!

I have been seeing some CRAZY high prices on eBay over the last couple of months, but on the other hand I got a pretty sweet deal on a very low grade copy of AF #15 through private messages with an eBay seller...

You could spend as little as $500 or as much as $3000 from what I have seen.

I was also curious as to what grade of these books one could get for around $250-$300 with slight-to-moderate restoration or if I'd still be out of my league?

Anything with a cover will still be out of your league, restored or not. As far as Spidey 1's, the only sales on GPA at $300 or less are for a coverless copy, and a copy with the wrong back cover. An incomplete 0.5 sold for $425 in January, and restored 1/1.5's look to be going for like $500-800. I don't know about raw sales, but it looks like that would be the way to go to get a low grade/restored copy under $500. confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah... I'm really hoping to avoid eBay if possible given the risk factor. If I do buy online, it would be from someone on the boards since I've had a number of very positive experiences buying here and no lemons. People just generally have a much better idea of what it means to legitimately grade a book here.

I think that's part of why I'm even entertaining a restored copy just because I know they have a much lower resale value (unless it's high grade in which case it will still fetch far more than I've got available).

Silver Surfer, just out of curiousity, but what sort of figures are you looking to get on your copy?

Nerf- I haven't received the call yet- 1 of 15 chance I might though. After catching that update last night, I'm just going to get myself back into the regular run of things- dwelling on possibilities won't change anything. lol, I was reading the article and surfing the CGC forum simultaneously, hence last night's rant-ish post.

Thanks for the figures DrBanner. Yeah, despite collecting only raw, I knew the way CGC slabs sell, it would be the only viable option on these. So who knows, maybe a 1.0-1.5 copy MIGHT be possible in the raw wink.gif

Quite honestly, I would hate to see what a $250 copy of ASM 1 looked like, restored or not! crazy.gif If it's really a grail of yours, you should aim to raise your budget to the $500-800 range at least.

Might be worth exploring more of those great deal SA books you got at your LCS...purchasing & flipping some more of those, as long as you know what you're doing & your grading is tight, might be a way to raise some capital. (Nothing wrong with that, as it's how many of us here finance our grail books!)

lol! I'll leave that distinction to those boardies who are still in smile.gif

PointFive, I should have been a little more clear- error on my part. $250-$300 is the cash I'm willing to spend right now... I might look towards including a trade or two in order to help make the deal more appealing though. The Avenger's #4 is a fantastic book to own, but I'd be willing to trade it towards one of my two grails smile.gif And I'm patient, so if nothing surfaces before the holidays, I'll just keep looking smile.gif

Here are some of this month's prices from Comiclink for an AF15

I only included the books that were selling or had an offer on them, as not to soil the water with some "out there" asking prices

CGC 1.5 FAIR/GOOD has a sale pending for $1,700

CGC 2.5 GD+ has an offer of $2,350 (but hasn't been accepted by seller)

CGC 3.0 GVG has a sale pending for $2,900

A restored CGC 5.5 FN- has an offer of $4,100 (but hasn't been accepted)

Anything with a cover will still be out of your league, restored or not. As far as Spidey 1's, the only sales on GPA at $300 or less are for a coverless copy, and a copy with the wrong back cover.

I've purchased two coverless ASM #1's on eBay over the years. Probably 9 or 10 years ago. I was able to buy them for less than $100, and sold them on eBay for profit. I saw that $300 sale and about flipped my lid! Don't tell anyone, but I think there's a market for very low grade comics, which otherwise would cost you $1000 or more. People realize they don't have $1000 for a G copy, so $500 just to own one sounds good.

I spent 700.00 on a raw Amazing 1 about three years ago. I grade it a solid 3.0/3.5. Ebay Grade 4.0, CGC, maybe 3.0. Got a deal, cause buyer only accepted check/money order.

I'm saving up 3K for my AF15. When I get around 2K, I'll actually start looking, but not before, and probably won't buy till I get a little more money. It's my one true grail.

I spent 700.00 on a raw Amazing 1 about three years ago. I grade it a solid 3.0/3.5. Ebay Grade 4.0, CGC, maybe 3.0. Got a deal, cause buyer only accepted check/money order.

That's a great price, you can't find a nice CGC 3.0 ASM #1 these days for even double that amount 893whatthe.gif

That's a great price, you can't find a nice CGC 3.0 ASM #1 these days for even double that amount 893whatthe.gif

I think they are about $1700-1800 now.

I think they are about $1700-1800 now.

Exactly.....