• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An Apology to Superman

12 posts in this topic

Okay, go back to either your childhood on the playground or that time you drank too much beer with a fellow comic book afficienado. Remember the debate about who would win in a fight: Superman or Batman? I was the one always railing against Superman. I still do now and then. smile.gif I always felt he had all the bases covered, and the kryptonite angle was a copout to give him a fatal flaw, where as Batman was just a regular guy (you know, minus the millions of yearly revenue, oh-so-convienent investigative and *spoon* kicking training). Last Sunday, was a positive experience for me as a collector, however, as I was cataloging and grading my mother-in-law's collection.

While I might not be wild about Supes, I had no idea there were so many cool cover pages in the Superman title. I've been going through her collection (of predominantly Silver Age DC titles), and finished the Superman books then. I'd seen the 199 cover before, and admittedly, liked it. One of the books that really stuck out (in my mind) is the cover to 240 (which actually might be a very early BA now that I think of it). Anyhow, just really great work. A few of the other numbers are eluding me, but I was just really surprised with the quality of some of it.

After reading the thread regarding the impact of these forums, however, is that my story isn't too different from many people here who have rediscovered old titles previously ignored. Still, always cool to find something "new" that's been around for years.

grin.gif

Always been against Superman...for the same reasons.

Couldn't stop cheering when he was forced to "kneel down to Zod" all those years ago..

Felt cheated when I bought the "Last Superman story" by Alan Moore and then the next month more appeared Christo_pull_hair.gif

Any my fav piece of oa is the one where Doc Doom makes fun of him cloud9.gif

I've never collected Superman, but there have been a lot of great covers and a lot of great stories over the years. And like it or not, he's the one who started it all. If he hadn't been as big a hit as he was, chances are none of my favorite characters would have ever been created.

grin.gif

Any my fav piece of oa is the one where Doc Doom makes fun of him cloud9.gif

Do you have a scan of that by chance? Is it from the Superman/Spiderman crossover from the 70s?

That it is !

You know your history thumbsup2.gif

here it is

buscema.jpg

Don't ya just love how he calls Superman "Alien" cloud9.gif

That's great! I still have my copy of this and thought how cool it was to see Doom v Superman! I believe this is the sanme book where The Hulk punches Supes into orbit!

Thanks for sharing that Chrom! 893applaud-thumb.gif

That's great! I still have my copy of this and thought how cool it was to see Doom v Superman! I believe this is the sanme book where The Hulk punches Supes into orbit!

What book is that? The dialogue is gag-inducing. But I've always wanted to see a Hulk/Superman fight.

What book is that? The dialogue is gag-inducing. But I've always wanted to see a Hulk/Superman fight.

supermanspidey2ndcomic.jpg

It's funny though the shift in art from 1968 to 1969 how it moves from the still somewhat campy look to a more realistc, human look. A nice shift in cover artists.

And that really is a funny @$$ website grin.gif