• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frazetta

71 posts in this topic

Here's my Vampi purchased from Doug Sulipa a couple years back.

And a Vampi Annual too, a bit lower in grade.

Great copies! And the hard to get annual.

Frank hated the costume on Vampi. and later re-painted her nude.

Yeah, over the original!!! :pullhair:

The pic has been posted before on the boards if you search for it.

Here's my Vampi purchased from Doug Sulipa a couple years back.

And a Vampi Annual too, a bit lower in grade.

Great copies! And the hard to get annual.

Frank hated the costume on Vampi. and later re-painted her nude.

Yeah, over the original!!! :pullhair:

The pic has been posted before on the boards if you search for it.

(shrug)

Norman Rockwell certainly stirred the collective consiousness of America. I appreciate his work but don't really love it. It just had nothing to do with the life I live or the way I was brought up.

Frazetta on the other hand, means infinitely more to me as a lifelong lover of fantasy adventure stories. Most Americans though don't love him the way I do. It's understandable.

I wonder what we would know about Frazetta had he been born 300 years ago in Italy, and painted religious masterpieces. I think he would have stood up with the best of them.

Norman Rockwell certainly stirred the collective consiousness of America. I appreciate his work but don't really love it. It just had nothing to do with the life I live or the way I was brought up.

Frazetta on the other hand, means infinitely more to me as a lifelong lover of fantasy adventure stories. Most Americans though don't love him the way I do. It's understandable.

I wonder what we would know about Frazetta had he been born 300 years ago in Italy, and painted religious masterpieces. I think he would have stood up with the best of them.

Joseph would have been a lot more muscular and Mary would be wearing a metal bikini? (shrug)

Search Baroque Italian Painting or Caracci, Crespi, TItian and Reni and you will see a lot of parallels. I assume that Frazetta, had he been hired by the Vatican in 1650 would have toned down Madonna's h00ters but still left the anatomy, shadow and sense of motion that is identified with the Baroque. I further assume that those Baroque painters were a bigger influence on him than even Foster or Roy G. Krenkel.

His helmets and other metallic objects are reminiscent of Dutch still lifes. The lighting sometimes reminds me of Rembrandt.

I really think that Frazetta is that good. Had he been alive 300 years ago, he'd be in the history books.

I studied art history in the mid-seventies. I remember asking a professor why we don't pay any attention to Maxfield Parrish. I remember the start of esteemed gentleman's replied, "Though Maxfield Parrish is not without ability..." before he discounted him. I asked also about Rockwell and remember him being compared to the bourgeous realists of the latter half of the 19th Century and also being told that he was "literary". Well, Parrish and Rockwell are getting some attention today. They're going to stay around for quite a while.

Frazetta will stay around too. It could be that the prices his work is getting now is only a reflection of the fanboy geeks of the late sixties now becoming fanmen geeks and spending their inheritance on these things. It could be that they will continue to rise in value and reach a still broader market. However critics and historians choose to keep score on Frazetta, he has real ability. His painting, while influenced by N.C.Wyeth, Foster and Italian Baroque have synthesized their qualities and are unique unto themselves. He is the best drawer in the history of the medium.