• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Board... Anything anyone likes so far?
2 2

298 posts in this topic

Someone that understands color psychology and how that impacts mood and personality could potentially lend some useful insight.

I'm not versed on this subject, but I can imagine that a TURD colored forum scheme is not going to put anyone in a good mood.

Certain colours are better than others. From what i remember, pinks are soothing, but only for short periods. Blues are aggresive. Reds are stimulating while yellows and oranges are "digestive" colours. Greens are healing. I think the reason the old yellow board was so appealing was because it was "light", bright and uplifting. It was a "feel good" colour. Arch did mention in his "list to do" that optional colours will be an upgrade.

I miss the old site though....anyone have a snap shot so I can revisit?

:cloud9:

Someone that understands color psychology and how that impacts mood and personality could potentially lend some useful insight.

I'm not versed on this subject, but I can imagine that a TURD colored forum scheme is not going to put anyone in a good mood.

Certain colours are better than others. From what i remember, pinks are soothing, but only for short periods. Blues are aggresive. Reds are stimulating while yellows and oranges are "digestive" colours. Greens are healing. I think the reason the old yellow board was so appealing was because it was "light", bright and uplifting. It was a "feel good" colour. Arch did mention in his "list to do" that optional colours will be an upgrade.

I think we can put the color scheme being used now in the Mundane catagory... :crazy:

I was thinking the exact same thing... :cloud9:

Go here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070125000240rn_1/boards.collectors-society.com/categories.php?Cat=0

Oh man, it's so freaking clear and easy to read.... :D

Dude, there's gotta be someone that's put it on you tube by now! I remember a few months ago seeing a waterspout/twister in singapore on youtube about 3 or 4 hours after it happened!

:headbang:

Go here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070125000240rn_1/boards.collectors-society.com/categories.php?Cat=0

Oh man, it's so freaking clear and easy to read.... :D

Home sweet home

Okay, after looking over the "old" CGC Forums and some other forums I enjoy, here are a few observations:

1) The message text area MUST be white. No question there.

2) The font is small and somehow *wrong* for the new format. It's like the open space is defaulted to around 30 and the actual font is only 8.

3) More sharp colors are needed, like reds for highlighting titles, blues for borders or other ways to spice things up. Right now the CGC Forums look like a turd floating down a mud river.

I like that it is free, and the PM system. The preview feature for both posts and pm's is also very nice. But if they install a bubblegum machine type coin slot on our computers and make us pay by the minute.. I'm outta here.

*insert sarcasm graemlin*

All kidding aside this change reminded me of when I played EA Golf online years ago. When 2k3 came out all the big clans switched to it.. a large faction who liked 2k wanted to keep the old version and hated the new. Eventually everyone had to comply or else not play in ranked tourneys. After a month nobody remembered what the old version was even like, same thing will happen here I assume as time goes by.

I am just hoping to see a change made in relation to the font size, or how the page is laid out. As it is now if I make the font larger so I can read it more easily with the resolution I am running, it pushes the right side off screen making me scroll to read it like it would if somebody loaded an extra wide image. I assume this happens because I am using a wide screen monitor?.. or does that happen to any monitor no matter the shape?

There are numerous little things that I am not overly happy about, but most of them are hopefully being addressed and I look forward to seeing them implemented.

Ze-

• Administrator

The changes marked here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1786782&an=4&page=1#Post1786782

Will be addressed.

Well, for me, almost everything about this new version is better minus the bugs with the exception of some color contrasts and a font tweak. WHICH, I fully agree needs adjustments and should be happening on Monday. But frankly isn't that big of a deal in terms of fixing it, so the heavy reaction is a bit much for me.

Here's my list so far.

1. Threaded PMs

2. More convenient "jump forums" drop down at the top

3. Ability to attach multiple files to a post

4. System automatically "inlines" your attached images

5. Highlight text and click a format button, and it adjusts the highlighted text.

6. Faster performance - no it's not just the hardware and install. The new boards have an improved database structure and cleaner code base as well as more extensive use of caching to create faster page loads.

7. Improved ajax-driven post preview function.

8. Some nice new admin features, like the ability to merge two threads into one.

9. Better navigation. The drop downs (aside from the IE6 bug) are a big improvement.

10. Scrollable quote boxes and image boxes to prevent people from forcing a whole thread to scroll sideways with their excessive quoting or overly large pictures. Anyone tried that yet? Post a big picture like the one I have.

11. More posting icons.

12. Easier controls to watch a thread.

13. Better security and various bug fixes.

14. Cool drop down menus on user names in threads to offer a variety of options.

15. Fun little mood indicators on people.

16. Online/offline status visible in threads by people's names.

17. Easy access in the "My Stuff" menu to a list of your own posts. (Hint: if you post something and can't find it... try this before PMing an admin? :) )

18. Better calendar layouts.

19. Cool new picture display in the user list.

20. "Active text" which allows the system to automatically create links to specified words. Like say, CGC will link without me doing anything. Or registry. Helpful.

21. The ability to create "sub forums", which I haven't used yet except to make a sub forum in the testing forum... Not sure what we'll use it for, but it SEEMS cool. ;)

Thanks for the info Arch. From a functionality standpoint, I'm enjoying the enhancements...I know you'll get the cosmetic stuff done in due time. I appreciate your hard work on the upgrades...

So, why would I watch a user??

I love the multiple file image capability...what would be cool is if it could automatically add the image to the post with the image tags automatically...now THAT would be sweet!

10. Scrollable quote boxes and image boxes to prevent people from forcing a whole thread to scroll sideways with their excessive quoting or overly large pictures. Anyone tried that yet? Post a big picture like the one I have.

1ASM307400DPI.jpg

1ASM307400DPI.jpg

Yikes. Doesn't kill the vertical...only the horizontal

Wow... I wasn't even aware of more than half of these. :applause: Nice work.

I'm looking forward to Monday to see how the visuals improve.

Thanks again for the effort Arch

BTW :baiting: why didn't you use the "bullet point list" option in your post? :Dlol

The changes marked here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1786782&an=4&page=1#Post1786782

Will be addressed.

Well, for me, almost everything about this new version is better minus the bugs with the exception of some color contrasts and a font tweak. WHICH, I fully agree needs adjustments and should be happening on Monday. But frankly isn't that big of a deal in terms of fixing it, so the heavy reaction is a bit much for me.

Here's my list so far.

1. Threaded PMs

2. More convenient "jump forums" drop down at the top

3. Ability to attach multiple files to a post

4. System automatically "inlines" your attached images

5. Highlight text and click a format button, and it adjusts the highlighted text.

6. Faster performance - no it's not just the hardware and install. The new boards have an improved database structure and cleaner code base as well as more extensive use of caching to create faster page loads.

7. Improved ajax-driven post preview function.

8. Some nice new admin features, like the ability to merge two threads into one.

9. Better navigation. The drop downs (aside from the IE6 bug) are a big improvement.

11. More posting icons.

12. Easier controls to watch a thread.

13. Better security and various bug fixes.

14. Cool drop down menus on user names in threads to offer a variety of options.

15. Fun little mood indicators on people.

16. Online/offline status visible in threads by people's names.

17. Easy access in the "My Stuff" menu to a list of your own posts. (Hint: if you post something and can't find it... try this before PMing an admin? :) )

18. Better calendar layouts.

19. Cool new picture display in the user list.

20. "Active text" which allows the system to automatically create links to specified words. Like say, CGC will link without me doing anything. Or registry. Helpful.

21. The ability to create "sub forums", which I haven't used yet except to make a sub forum in the testing forum... Not sure what we'll use it for, but it SEEMS cool. ;)

"what me panic"

(replacing Alfred E's "what me worry")

Hey you deleted the image... now my post makes no sense. Dagnabbit.

The least you coulda' done is listed the reason why you edited your post... you know, that new feature that's available that you didn't list with the bullet listing option.

:grin:

Edited by BronzeBruce13

Agreed Mark... that would have been a more ideal plan of attack. I'm guessing that some of these problems were truly unexpected... hence the urgency to correct them.

btw.. what does Dorothy's dog from the Wizard of Oz have to do with this? :whatthe: :confused: :cool:

I am sure there are some features that are indeed improved from the past boards, but overall I really do remain unhappy with the changes in toto. :(

I should also add that I think it would have made far more sense to have unveiled the site once it was more completed rather than correcting piece-mail problems. Additionally, given the significant changes it probably would have behooved CGC to have afforded some users a beta-site to play with in order to receive feedback pre-unveiling (unless that was done and I am unaware of it).

Time will tell.

I think the little doggy is peeing on parts of the boards. :P:D:grin:;)

Wow... I wasn't even aware of more than half of these. :applause: Nice work.

I'm looking forward to Monday to see how the visuals improve.

Thanks again for the effort Arch

BTW :baiting: why didn't you use the "bullet point list" option in your post? :Dlol

When will our valiant little graemlins (sp) from the olden golden days stop being squished!!!! :mad:

Thanks for your efforts Arch! I'm sure it will all ultimately come together.