• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official List - Contact me when the boards are fixed thread.

138 posts in this topic

Arch, thank you for making the boards easy to navigate again. Comic collectors are stupid, we spend all day scanning over our dumb books looking for 1/16th inch non color breaking creases that I am not able to do the same thing while attempting to navigate through a message board. :whatev:

• Administrator
You are suffering due to your bizzaro monitor and settings.

What does that mean?

The font on the front page, the forum headings, the thread titles, the quotes and even the post window I'm typing on now are ALL the standard font size.

Only the message field has that HUGE font, and I am assuming that others can read all the other fields.

Unless you're thinking of changing all the other fields to this HUGE one in the message?

We can define the fonts in a number of ways. Pixel height, font size, etc. The message body is set to 12pt. Something about resolution and monitor size combinations is, I think, making it exceptionally large for some users but not others. I'm on a 19" at 1280x1024 and it looks about right to me. (shrug) We'll get it tweaked.

Ultimately, we'll make some large-font and regular-font choices available as skin selections you can pick for yourself.

We can change the skins on this here boards? How? ...or is that something coming later? (shrug)

Andy

Edited by thirdgreenham

Ultimately, we'll make some large-font and regular-font choices available as skin selections you can pick for yourself.

I've avoided commenting on the new format until the dust settles -- see the "It's Official" thread for kudos and a question about a possible bug -- but doesn't everyone's browser have a text size adjustment? The default font size in messages was a little too large for me, but it's perfect with the browser set one text size smaller. Don't users adjust their own display to suit their own preferences?

Jack, apparently a "happy idjit"

I'm on a 19" at 1280x1024 and it looks about right to me.

I'm interested in how the quoted text looks to you.

In my case, the quotes look about 8-9 and the message text is about 14 - visually speaking, compared to other applications.

The default font size in messages was a little too large for me, but it's perfect with the browser set one text size smaller.

Is there a way to set this permanently in Firefox, so that every time I open up a window/tab for the CGC Forums, it auto-sizes them back to small?

EDIT: The answer is no, but there are a few potential add-ons that might work.

Here's what I see. All of the text on the site (titles, forum names, compose message fields, dates, etc.) is the same size as the quoted field, all except for the message text, which is freakishly huge by comparison.

41185-cgc_forums_2.jpg.4fd49bf783908a7a33130e49d6f5a70c.jpg

• Administrator
I'm on a 19" at 1280x1024 and it looks about right to me.

I'm interested in how the quoted text looks to you.

In my case, the quotes look about 8-9 and the message text is about 14 - visually speaking, compared to other applications.

Quotes look about 9pt and regular body text about 12pt.

It's still HUGE compared to every other text field on the forums. (shrug)

Way more.

I guess HUGE isn't a word you hear much. lol

I just don't think the difference between 12pt and 9pt font is HUGE. Based on your definition of "way more" I wouldn't think you'd find the difference that large either. I guess in your small world every millimeter counts for quite a lot.

• Administrator
Quotes look about 9pt and regular body text about 12pt.

How do they look in comparison to the image I posted?

They look about the same.

The issue wouldn't be revealed by a screen shot because viewing the screen shot will look just as different on my resolution as the real thing. For example, I've got this setup:

Dual Monitors:

Monitor #1 - Laptop monitor, about 17" at 1600x1200

Monitor #2 - 19" flat panel, 1280x1024

I can set up a browser to straddle the two screens and see a real comparison. I can do this with MS Word the same as the boards, and see the same differences. When I straddle the boards across the monitors, I see a font on the left (laptop monitor) that compared to a piece of paper print out looks like about 10pt. On the right (flat panel) it looks like about 12pt.

If I change my resolution on the flat panel to 1024x768 (spreading fewer pixels across a larger surface area) the body content looks like maybe 15pt or even 16pt.

In the end, your own personal setup is going to have a pretty big effect on how the font size is perceived. We'll end up setting this default template to something that's satisfies most folks, but the way you'll get your ideal environment will be to:

1. Adjust the font size with your browser (can cause some weird layout issues)

or

2. When we get other copies of the style sheet up, you can choose the ones with other font sizes.

Edited by Architecht

The issue wouldn't be revealed by a screen shot because viewing the screen shot will look just as different on my resolution as the real thing.

I really don't see how that could be true, as a true type font can change based on system setup, browser and rez, but a JPG stays constant in term of font size. View it on ten different screens and the font will remain consistent in the image.

• Administrator
The issue wouldn't be revealed by a screen shot because viewing the screen shot will look just as different on my resolution as the real thing.

I really don't see how that could be true, as a true type font can change based on system setup, browser and rez, but a JPG stays constant in term of font size. View it on ten different screens and the font will remain consistent in the image.

Only in proportion to everything else.

Here's an illustration.

Let's say I take a JPG that is 200x200 pixels and it is filled with the word "Hi!"

I display it on a screen set to 1024x768 that is on a 19" monitor.

Now display it on a 72" monitor set to 1024x768.

That jpg will fill the same percentage of the screen, however, it will now be much much bigger to the person viewing it because in pure inches, x% of a 72" screen is way bigger than x% of a 19" screen.

Edited by Architecht