• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does the "Northland" pedigree carry any weight?

18 posts in this topic

As a newbie to these boards and someone who is looking at re-entering the comic hobby I was just wondering if anyone really cared about "Northland" pedigree books? Can anyone tell me where they would rate in the "Silver Age Pedigree Scheme" of things. If memory serves me, White Mountains and Oaklands may be at the top of the list and Ohios and Bowling Greens at the bottom. Any input would be great. Thanks again.

Jim

I've seen a lot of Northland books in lower conditions for sale. I'm not sure of the average grades and runs in the original collection, as compared to Curator, Pacific Coast, etc. Perhaps the best books are simply not offered for sale.

I do know that the Northland Amazing Spidey 14 in 9.6 would be pretty dang tough to beat....made me respect this pedigree a bit more when I first saw it!

Just curious as to why you're asking about a specific pedigree when you're also saying you're thinking about re-entering the hobby? Do you own a lot of Northland books?

I have 2,

ASM 82 CGC 9.2 cream to off-white (decent looking book but slightly "tan")

ASM 91 CGC 9.4 cream to off-white (structurally nice, not as glossy as others)

Overall I've seen the grades range from 7.0 to 9.6 on this collection, however I haven't seen a ton of Northland books so those could just be extremes.

Brian

I recall seeking a Menace 11 at Metropolis and saw they had a Northand copy at 1.65% over guide. (actually 1.6470588235294117647058823529412% over guide. I paid about $30 for my VG copy agter haveing looked a few years for one. But that was the first time I ever had a Northland copy intersect my interests.

So, I too am interested in this question.

Brian: I am just looking at getting back into the hobby (I'm gonna decide pretty soon (after a little more research) whether I'm going to buy mid grade books or high end stuff) but as soon as I do there are 3 (9.4) Northland books that I am going to pick up if I choose the high end route. They are between 3-4x guide and I was wondering if that sounded about right?

Jim

They are between 3-4x guide and I was wondering if that sounded about right?

It really depends on which comics we are talking about. I have been known to go 5x guide on some 9.4 non-key Strange Tales, if they are real low population and have great eye appeal (hence, I'm unlikely to find another as nice). For me, the pedegree isn't part of the equasion.

The one Northland book I own is pretty nice. A very bright, glossy, well preserved 9.2. I would buy others if offered.

I concur....I have the Northland Hulk #122 9.8 and it is an absolute gem. I would definitely buy more.

many of the Northlands were very sweet books. Motor City brought them out. Some older guy kept contacting him whenever he needed some cash. There were multiples of many books and runs of everything from DC Marvel to Dell, Gold Key and Charlton. A massive haul of high grade (mostly) stuff. Motor City still has lots of them that havent sold - - non keys of course.

This is just a side note to keep in mind in the future...I have dealt with Jim about 2 years ago when he had a web site.(sure miss that site ) and I must say, extremely easy to deal with, very reasonable about trades, payment plans, etc....I would recommend anyone to deal with him...Just an FYI

Michael

If you have GP Analysis, you will see that in general (the past month or so), Northland pedigrees have actually sold for less than a non-pedigree book in the same grade.

Basically, that means that they aren't getting a premium. It doesn't mean that they are considered worst (because the lower price could have occurred because of several factors).

Also, if you are talking about Silver-Age Marvels, than 3-4 times guide is about right if the book is a NM (9.4) with atleast Off-White pages. If the book is not NM, than the multiple drops in half (at least).

I'm not done researching it yet, but Northland seems below Curator, Pacific Coast, and White Mountain based upon the examples I've seen, although I know there are at least a few insanely nice Northland books locked up in collections. It might also be below Boston and Oakland but I haven't seen enough books from the collections to know for sure.

Thank you for the very kind words and remembering me. Who knows maybe I'll get the site up and running again smile.gif The two issues I would want are "minor keys" IMO. The Hulk #104 9.4 and Daredevil #33 (I think) it's a black Dr. Doom Cover that I was always really sweet on. I am really pleased that some of you guys remember me and I look forward to speaking/dealing with you again in the future.

Jim