• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game: SILVER AGE SURVIVOR SERIES - Round 17

Choose the next book to depart this list  

381 members have voted

1. 1. Choose the next book to depart this list

135 posts in this topic

And then there were four...

The Incredible Hulk loses out in a tightly voted round. So, we're down to the Final 4. This one will go until Sunday night around 8:30. Choose the next one to depart.

I'm still sticking with X-Men #1 as it wasn't as significant as the others in regards to the Silver Age. It will be interesting to see where the Hulk votes land.

Plus, another round of 116-ish votes. Way down from our peak in the mid-rounds in the 180's. I'm more inclined to believe the change in the polls requiring you to be logged in and a member has eliminated the passerby.

Showcase 4 has got to go.

A truly seminal team of mutants that led to Marvel's most popular franchise ever vs. a tired revamp of an existing GA character.

No contest, although I expect the DC fanboys to be out in numbers, hammering down X-Men #1.

First appearance of X-Men, Prof X & Magneto, the introduction of Mutants, and setting the groundwork for the most popular franchise at Marvel Comics.

vs.

The lame revamp of an existing GA character.

Do the math.

First appearance of X-Men, Prof X & Magneto, the introduction of Mutants, and setting the groundwork for the most popular franchise at Marvel Comics.

vs.

Do the math.

I agree.

Showcase is just a major improvement on an already existing idea.

time for the X-Men to depart the building :applause:

they really were much more important for the bronze age than for the Silver Age.

I think that the changes to the board have cut down votes, which is a good thing.

I was able to vote twice in the past as I would log on under the same name but from 2 different locations. since the revamp it has not allowed me more than 1 vote.

If X-Men #1 was laying the groundwork, couldn't you use a similar argument for Showcase #4? It was laying the groundwork for a renaissance in Superhero comics. One that would lead to the great Marvel Age.

While I love X-Men, the Silver Age X-Men didn't stand on their own very well until a certain Canadien hero joined. I'd even say that was the time Magneto became a better character also. In the SA, Magneto was a typical, raving villain. It wasn't until the late 70's that we got the different shades of grey to his character making him far more interesting.

I will add that I can see the angle JC is coming from in terms of the X-Men being brand new and the Flash being an update. But I think the SA Flash was unique enough and not just a re-tread.

X-men #1 of course. Should have been gone a looooong time ago.

Re: JC's argument that Flash was a retread of a GA character, does that mean that the new X-men were retreads of a SA group? I believe it does. By that "logic" the new X-men couldn't be very important.

But of course they were, as was the SA Flash.

Showcase 4 has got to go.

A truly seminal team of mutants that led to Marvel's most popular franchise ever vs. a tired revamp of an existing GA character.

No contest, although I expect the DC fanboys to be out in numbers, hammering down X-Men #1.

X-Men 1 has got to go.

A third-tier title that happened to become Marvel's most popular franchise in the 1970s thanks solely to a creative team that was more inspired by the Legion of Super-Heroes than the original X-Men (in fact, everybody was kicked out except for Cyclops and Professor X) vs. the comic book that reintroduced superheroes to the world and indisputably kicked off the Silver Age.

No contest, although I expect the Marvel Zombies to be out in numbers, hammering down Showcase #4.

Likening Showcase to the tip of the spear is nothing more than an effort to prop-up DC for all of its fans who are embarrassed of DC’s post-WWII books. Its called a bone; watch it thrown.

x-men- why is it even around?: another stan homage to a DC series. i'm sure the zombies will knock off the last DC book. i truly wonder if they'd rank FF #1 ahead of Action #1 and Tec #27

come on now we all know marvel owned the silver age thanks to FF & spidey + a host of other great characters- During the 60's DC just doesn't get it done

The early years of comics was DC's prime and although i enjoy the marvel age far more there really is no way you can rank a book like FF1 ahead of an action 1 or Tec 27 because those books are the genesis of the superhero in comic book form. DC fans had their day to be sure it just occured way before the silver age!

vs.

Do the math.

I agree.

Showcase is just a major improvement on an already existing idea.

I'm with the two Thanos (would that be... Thani?-). Look at the long-term effect of the book and X-Men is far greater in popularity throughout the years. It's not that Flash didn't have a profound effect; it just doesn't come close to adding up to what X-Men has done for comics. As such, Showcase #4 must go.