• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game: SILVER AGE SURVIVOR SERIES - Round 18

Choose The Next Comic To Leave This List  

378 members have voted

1. 1. Choose The Next Comic To Leave This List

70 posts in this topic

I'm a DC Fanboy, and I voted for Showcase 4. Its a great book, which I believe did kick off the silver age. However, AF15 and FF1 had greater and longer lasting impacts on comics and the hobby.

Just because Flash was the first to the party does not mean he deserves to be in the spotlight dance.

Course JC may know this and really wants Showcase 4 to last longer and is using reverse psychology on everyone. If that is the case, then he is a master at manipulation and has my deepest respect.

If Showcase 4 actually makes it another round, just as if Sanjaya would have made it to the finals, it would invalidate the entire contest, making it an immense waste of time. :banana:

Only the market knows the "right" answer, doesn't it? Who's on top in the latest OS guide? Last guide I bought, AF 15 and SC 4 were running neck to neck.

Wow, what a totally misinformed comment!! lol

The only reason Showcase 4 is worth that much is due to its relative scarcity. The book was published 5+ years before the Marvel explosion, and is harder to find, especially in high-grade.

For example, there is only a single copy of Showcase 4 in CGC 9.6 and 9.4, and only 6 total from CGC 9.0 and up. Compare that to AF 15, with 39 copies in the same range.

If Showcase 4 and AF 15 had the same relative supply, AF 15 would be worth about 5X-6X what Showcase 4 was.

Who is the maroon who voted to AF 15? :screwy:

I guess I am a maroon. :grin:

Without the other 2 there would probably have been no AF 15. I am voting on the importance to the hobby as a whole, to me, it is not chicken or egg. In my opinion, if not for the success of FF 1 (Who Marvel felt that the FF had to appear on the cover to sell AF 15, just like Spidey on the cover of DD 1), there might never had been an AF 15. Without showcase 4, there might not be a JLA, without JLA, there might not have been a FF 1.

Butterfly effect...........

But if you use this bizarre rationale, you're back in the stone age, proclaiming that without some Neanderthal discovering he could make pictures with his poop, we'd never have Action Comics #1.

Or how about the Big Bang? I guess without that comics wouldn't exist, right? lol

Butterfly Effect, indeed.

I do appreciate the viewpoint, but if you want to talk "might be's" and "could have's", then I firmly believe that without Marvel and FF/Spidey, there would NOT have been a Silver Age as we know it, and Showcase #4 would be an also-ran common book.

Marvel MADE Showcase 4 into an important book, not the other way around.

Without the other 2 there would probably have been no AF 15. I am voting on the importance to the hobby as a whole, to me, it is not chicken or egg. In my opinion, if not for the success of FF 1 (Who Marvel felt that the FF had to appear on the cover to sell AF 15, just like Spidey on the cover of DD 1), there might never had been an AF 15. Without showcase 4, there might not be a JLA, without JLA, there might not have been a FF 1.

Dare I be the aussie smartarse and ask where on the cover of AF15 do the FF appear? :baiting::whistle:

Dare I be the aussie smartarse and ask where on the cover of AF15 do the FF appear? :baiting::whistle:

Come on, you can clearly see them staring out of one of the windows. :makepoint:

And here i thought it was somebodys rock pet.... :insane:

lol Don't be to hard on this sborock guy...I think he's kind of new to these here comics :baiting:

lol Don't be to hard on this sborock guy...I think he's kind of new to these here comics :baiting:

Oh, man, do I deserve that! :makepoint:

That's what I get for not previewing my post doh!

I hope you all know I meant ASM 1

:blush:

Oh, man, do I deserve that! :makepoint:

That's what I get for not previewing my post doh!

I hope you all know I meant ASM 1

:blush:

Sure we did, oh lord of the encapsulation realm :whistle:

I'm not a Marvel Zombie or a DC Fanboy, I'm just a fan of comics and mainly Silver Age books! In the 50's Marvel tried to resurrect Super-Heroes and they were slapped down. Without the success over at DC with the first the Flash and other characters I think Marvel would still have been putting out Romance, Westerns and Sci-Fi titles. So at least for now I keep the Showcase #4.

That's just my 2 cents!

where are all these votes for FF and AF 15 coming from all of a sudden?

more votes this round for those 2 books then there was in the entire pole.

as far as the whole “horse before the cart theory”, I guarantee Lee and Ditko

would have brought us AF 15 with or without Showcase 4.

anyways, bye Flash

Even as a card carrying retardo DC Fanboy, I voted off Showcase 4. FF1 and AF 15 are the two ultimate Silver Age books for me. I apologize to all the other RDCF's out there. :sorry: