• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

are you creaming Darth?

48 posts in this topic

Sales showed on ebay auctions that CGC signature series out sells a non-CGC signature series.

Sure, on Moderns. But discerning buyers willing to lay down serious cash on a 9.8 would never, ever want pay equivalent Universal prices for one that is defaced.

Trust me, Modern CGC buyers would bid high on a slabbed Jim Lee autographed turd.

Hmm, I'm not sure about that. The Stan Lee SS books that have sold both on Heritage and Ebay have gone for CRAZY/STUPID money in LOW grade. It would probably depend on the who signed the book when it comes to SA and GA books. Maybe?

When Stan The Man signs a book, the old nostalgia dam bursts and who knows where the price will fall?

That's a special case, and I doubt any creator alive could command that sort of attention. It's Stan Freaking Lee!!

There are two types of collectors, one prefers with sig and the other no.

I'm one that prefers books with sig. I know people like me have to get in line for hours just to have our books signed by our favorite writers/artists in comic conventions. The advent of CGC Signature Series will make our life easier because we don't have to get in line for hours. CGC reps usually do that hard part for $23 ($18 for the slab and $5 for the sig), additionally, we, the collectors that prefer sig are more assured of the authenticity of the signatures.

nope, that would be impossible since he's passed. confused-smiley-013.gif

Not just that, but Stan was the face of Marvel through the Silver and Bronze Ages. He was also charismatic and made a real effort to reach out to fans. I have a 0%fanboy ratio, but when I saw Stan at a show and went by after, it was kind of a rush.

Jack's a great artist, but Stan is the Man.

I'm one that prefers books with sig. I know people like me have to get in line for hours just to have our books signed by our favorite writers/artists in comic conventions. The advent of CGC Signature Series will make our life easier because we don't have to get in line for hours. CGC reps usually do that hard part for $23 ($18 for the slab and $5 for the sig), additionally, we, the collectors that prefer sig are more assured of the authenticity of the signatures.

Believe me I understand, and have been after Cosmic Bob for a nice Keown autographed book from the early to mid-run of Hulk. I'd bid in a second, but by the same token I would not want my CGC 9.6 Hulk 181 or ASM 129 with a sig on the cover, as these are seriously expensive books catering to an uncompromising buyer, and any minute flaw is magnified at this end.

So I'm to believe a miniscule spine tick is enough to drive a nigh-perfect Hulk 181 to CGC 9.8, but somehow it's sane to bid the same amount for a 9.8 with Trimpe's name scrawled on it?

Hint: get your autographs on cheaper books.

Believe me I understand, and have been after Cosmic Bob for a nice Keown autographed book from the early to mid-run of Hulk. I'd bid in a second, but by the same token I would not want my CGC 9.6 Hulk 181 or ASM 129 with a sig on the cover, as these are seriously expensive books catering to an uncompromising buyer, and any minute flaw is magnified at this end.

I can see your point about the Hulk 181 and ASM 129 and I fully agree. But if you have a lower grade copy, you might change your mind. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So, let's see, I seem to have the following in for grading for the Signature Series (all signed by Keown):

Incredible Hulk #377 (with hulk head sketch - not for sale)

Incredible Hulk #377 (Also signed by Peter David)

Incredible Hulk #367

Incredible Hulk #390

Incredible Hulk #381

Incredible Hulk #385

Incredible Hulk #376

Incredible Hulk #379

Are you saying that you would buy one of these? Obviously if you are that interested it must be for your personal collection. And that is one of the points being made. If someone wants a rare item for their "collection" then they will pay to get it. If they want to try and resell it, fine. That is their preogative.

As for long term "collectability," who knows. confused-smiley-013.gif Say for example, artist X dies suddenly in a car crash. What would that do for the price of SS books if this artist signed only 5 or 6 books. Probably drive the prices through the roof as demand would increase, and the supply would be extremely limited. Now keep in mind this is just an example, as artist X could also go into hiding and refuse to sign any books. Or if they decided not to do the convention circuit. Once again, just examples.

In my view, the Signature Series books are a different type of collectable. I have made enough money from selling them, that I have a collection of about 55-60 SS books that I will most likely never sell, that have been paid for by my sales.

Do I have any idea which books will sell better? Nope! My customers keep me guessing. So I get signed what I want to get signed. And that makes me happy.

By the way Joe, if you are interested in any of the above books, let me know and I will put it to the side for you. grin.gif

I love to have key comics signed on top of the white label of the slab by the creative talent. I have seen too many low grade Marvel keys signed on the white front cover by Stan Lee in bold black sharpie. Nasty. 893frustrated.gif Signatures on the border panel of pg. 1 is OK by me.

The coolest older book I've seen come back with a Signature Series label is a copy of Flash Comics #102 signed by both Joe Kubert and Carmine Infantino this summer at San Diego Comic-Con. CGC Grade is 5.5. Peter is keeping it at Paradise for now, he says it's not for sale.

As for my own Signature Series collection, I have only a handful of books for my own collection that I'm keeping:

9.8 Planetary 1 (Cassaday)

9.8 League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol. 2 #1 (O'Neil and the coloriest Ben something)

9.8 Captain America Vol. 2 #1 (Cassaday)

9.8 Liberty Meadows #? (Cho and Adam Hughes)

9.4 Marvels 1 (Ross)

Kev

The coolest older book I've seen come back with a Signature Series label is a copy of Flash Comics #102 signed by both Joe Kubert and Carmine Infantino this summer at San Diego Comic-Con. CGC Grade is 5.5. Peter is keeping it at Paradise for now, he says it's not for sale.

As for my own Signature Series collection, I have only a handful of books for my own collection that I'm keeping:

9.8 Planetary 1 (Cassaday)

9.8 League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol. 2 #1 (O'Neil and the coloriest Ben something)

9.8 Captain America Vol. 2 #1 (Cassaday)

9.8 Liberty Meadows #? (Cho and Adam Hughes)

9.4 Marvels 1 (Ross)

Kev

I saw that Flash book, my eyes just about bugged out of my head. 893whatthe.gif