• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AS Batman #6

11 posts in this topic

picked up the AS Batman, peeked to see if the storyline ended, saw one panel of dialogue (you'll know which one) and put it back on the shelf. i hope this is the nadir of frank's amazing career and he's back in form the next time out. but this one becomes the second mini (maxi) that i started reading and refused to finish (the other, for those who give a dang, was Bendis' Spider-Woman).

I picked my copy up today, and can say I'm pretty much in agreement- not so great. I am, however, finishing the series off since there are only 7 issues total. I have to agree though that the writing has been bogus in the last two issues. Seems like ever word that prefaces "Batman" is the "G-ddamn Batman." Seriously. I know Miller's probably having some fun with this, but it doesn't make for the most fun reading.

I was also disapointed in the very apparent lack of continuity from last issue- we see an AS JLA, but then nothing this issue? Huh. Where'd Robin go? Huh. And with all of these loose ties and only one more issue left before ending it, we add in a new character??? Doesn't add up to me.

Lee's artwork is still good; didn't feel a drop in quality there. I was just highly disappointed in Miller's contribution to this. I would have though a combination like these two industry greats would have produced something a little more dynamic. And what started off in what appeared to be an interesting revamp of the origin-arc has turned out to be something that comes off like "oh , we STILL aren't done yet? Let's just throw something at them". To think this is the same guy that brought up the two BEST Batman stories (DKR and YR1), and THIS is what we get? Wow.

I think the real slap in the face is the 6-8 pages of "Ballpark Franks: Hunger" adverstisements you get with one after the next. Seriously.

i finally gave up with the last issue. realized that if i didn't cut my pull list, i'd never buy all the back issues i want. decided to only buy the books that i felt were good enough that i'd not only read, but re-read someday. other than the first issue, which has a great cover, there's nothing about this series that was any good.

hmmm... ok... so I just read it... I'm not sure what to think... the dialogue is still pretty stupid in most places, but it has been consistant, so I'll give it to Miller that he's trying to do something "artsy" or something on purpose with that. Really, tho... enough with the "." It's just getting annoying. And then the "bull[blank]ing"... ugh... I *hate* when curse words get bleeped out in print. Either print them or don't use them. Using bleeped out words doesn't make something cooler or darker at all. It just makes it hokey.

And the 8 page hotdog spread that didn't even make any sense? Sweet lord.

It was also frustrating that the events of last issue really didn't seem to have any effect on this issue at all. I think this would have been much better as a trade.

I still really like the art tho... and I don't really hate the series... I'm definitely going to keep reading just to see what happens. I like that there's no main villian, and I like the POV we're getting... It doesn't feel plotted, which is perhaps what annoys a lot of people, but I like the franticness of the feel precisely due to the lack of obvious plot or antagonist.

I don't think this is horrible... just very different from other things I've read.

I should also say that I very very very rarely ever read Batman.

lol, I hope so! I'll be honest, I thought I had heard *rumor-mill warning* that this was only supposed to be a mini-series and wasn't going to be an on-going series. I could be wrong here. If it IS an on-going series, I might just throw the whole set up on eBay (since I'm relatively sure that no one on the boards would be interested).

I've decided that All-Star Batman is a trainwreck.

There's great comics coming out, like Brubaker's Daredevil, there's really good comics, like the Black Canary mini which I've been enjoying, there's ok comics, like Ultimate Fantastic Four, there's awful comics you keep buying to keep a run going, like Batman right now, and there's awful comics that make you consider breaking a run, like Fantastic Four right now.

And then there's trainwrecks. Comics so bad you can't help but keep reading them to see if they sink to new lows in awfulness or raise themselves up to merely miserable. You can't look away no matter how hard you try.

All-Star Batman is that book. Damn it.

Biggest problem is what Schmakt said. Too much with the stupid cursing. Normally, I'm ALL about cursing. But this feels totally fabricated & forced.

Maybe he's trying to institute as a part of Batman's name. Kind of like "The Batman" rather than "Batman". Pretty lame.

Pat