• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game: BRONZE AGE SURVIVOR SERIES- Round 1

Choose a comic to leave in ROUND 1  

210 members have voted

1. 1. Choose a comic to leave in ROUND 1

104 posts in this topic

ASM 300?

Cerebus 1

TOD 10?

Both Cerebus 1 and ASM are Copper/Modern, while TOD might be one of those "cusp" books. As for grouping by "issue range" or "writer/artist/storyline", doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of the exercise?

Some people like ASM 121, while others view 122 as the true key. I think Daredevil 158 (and subsequent issues) are underappreciated, while others view Miller's writing and first Elektra as the defining (and end) point of the BA.

This is the problem with one of these things - everyone has their favorites and suddenly we're looking at 75 choices. :o

Cerebus 1 is a Copper/Modern book? It was published in 1977.

Cerebus 1 is a Copper/Modern book? It was published in 1977.

I was still off by a few years but meant it was Copper, and ASM 300, Modern.

That's a tough one, as I don't remember Cerebus really having an impact until 1980 and onwards. It may have started in the BA, but I view the series as a CA phenomenon. (shrug)

I'm gonna leave it like this, and hopefully Cap will take some of these books and start the BA Survivor Series over again.
I too agree that the original list is flawed and kudos to JC for coming up with a list that is more accurate. Of course we should start over. One minor point....has anyone consulted Shadow as to his intentions? This "Survivor series" was his baby and he did a good job of moderating the rounds. Perhaps he was planning on doing the BA Survivor series next before this thread jumped the gun. (shrug)

Second Revision, although paring it down to 25 might be advisable, or perhaps delete 2 entries the first few rounds:

All-Star Western 10

Amazing Spider-man 101

Amazing Spider-man 121

Amazing Spider-man 122

Amazing Spider-man 129

Astonishing Tales 25

Batman 232

Batman 234

Conan 1

Daredevil 168

Detective Comics 395

Green Lantern/Green Arrow 76

Green Lantern/Green Arrow 85

Giant-Size X-Men 1

Hero For Hire 1

House of Secrets 92

Hulk 181

Iron Fist 14

Iron Man 55

Jimmy Olsen 134

Marvel Feature 1

Marvel Premiere 1

Marvel Premiere 15

Marvel Spotlight 2

Marvel Spotlight 5

New Gods 1

Superman 233

Swamp Thing 1

Tomb of Dracula 1

Werewolf by Night 32

X-Men 94

X-Men 101

X-Men 141

I propose removing Spidey 101 (Morbius? Please...), Marvel Premiere 1 (Dr. Strange was already around for a while), and X-Men 141 (more Copper than bronze).

I also propose we simply state that GS X-Men 1 is going to win so we remove it from the list and vote for second place and down to make things more interesting.

The only one I really disagree with is Marvel Premiere 1, which was Marvel's first try-out book and not only introduced us to the BA Warlock we know and love today, but also helped usher in other new and old characters (Dr Strange, Iron Fist).

I think it's a very important BA book, and easily in the top 25.

I recommend taking Hero for Hire 1 off...there are zillions of #1 issues during BA and I personally don't see that as a significant enough issue to make the list. I'd also recommend taking a couple of Spideys off the list...maybe two max. I'd recommend just keeping #129 myself personally.

I'd take off TOD #1 and add TOD #10.

I'd also take off Swamp Thing #1...swampy is already represented in HOS #92.

I recommend taking Hero for Hire 1 off...there are zillions of #1 issues during BA and I personally don't see that as a significant enough issue to make the list.

Come on, first black superhero comic book.... You want me to get Martin Luthor King on your hass? (tsk)

And TOD 10 had virtually no importance in the Bronze Age, and wasn't viewed as a major key until AFTER the recent movie hype.

I do agree that ASM 101 could get the boot, but ASM 121 and 122 are truly seminal books, and while I won't smoke crack and go the OS route of proclaiming them the "Beginning of the BA", these are still extremely important.

I recommend taking Hero for Hire 1 off...there are zillions of #1 issues during BA and I personally don't see that as a significant enough issue to make the list.

Come on, first black superhero comic book.... You want me to get Martin Luthor King on your hass? (tsk)

Well then...I want to add the first appearance of Scalphunter...first american indian to get a title... :shrug:

Seriously, I just don't think the criteria is strong enough.

Fine..kill TOD altogether. No skin off my back. Kill WBN #32...who cares about that? I want a strong list...not a bunch of secondary zzz books.

Kill GL #85. #76 rules the roost. We don't need secondary representation of a character.

Kill one of both the Premiere and Spotlight issues.

Kill X-men #101 and #104... #94 should be nuff.

Kill WBN #32...who cares about that?

The difference is, that Moon Knight had a successful headline series at the end of the BA, and into the CA.

P.S. Where is the self-titled "Scalphunter" book you speak of?

Kill WBN #32...who cares about that?

The difference is, that Moon Knight had a successful headline series at the end of the BA, and into the CA.

P.S. Where is the self-titled "Scalphunter" book you speak of?

Cmon...Heroe For Hire lasted what 10 issues? :baiting:

Kill GL #85. #76 rules the roost. We don't need secondary representation of a character.

That's there for DC representation.

Seriously, if you only wanted the top 15 best and strongest, get rid of all the DC books but two. That's fact.

I was trying to have some fun and let the DC fans dabble a bit.

That's there for DC representation.

Seriously, if you only wanted the top 15 best and strongest, get rid of all the DC books but two. That's fact.

I was trying to have some fun and let the DC fans dabble a bit.

Why give hope where there is none? I can't think of more than 5 "key" DC books in bronze age...and I'm a DC fan.

But the duplicate issues across same titles has to go..Marvel or DC.