• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Qualified or Crapified?

312 posts in this topic

I've seen some whacky Qualified grades, but this one takes the cake. I've also seen some "looks nice/center-fold detached or cover detached" get extremely low Universal grades, but somehow this book escapes with a 6.0 Q?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2189531250&category=32739

What's the problem Joe? What should the label/grade say? I couldn't even say this book would be a poor...but if you bought a "poor" AF 15 sight unseen, this copy is the last thing you would expect to get!

it is incomplete, what should it recieve then? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Here's a hint: 10 story pages are MISSING! If that's a 6.0 in any plane of existence, then I'll eat the book with mustard.

It's like grading a NM+ loose cover: CGC 9.8 Qualified, Inside Missing.

What's the problem Joe? What should the label/grade say? I couldn't even say this book would be a poor...but if you bought a "poor" AF 15 sight unseen, this copy is the last thing you would expect to get!

Okay, let's say you were grading this for resale, what alpha/numerica grade would you use?

Another point, I've seen "looks high-grade" comics with a detached cover get extremely low grade Universal. Why shouldn't they receive Qualified 9.4 grades? Or how about the old "NM but with detached centerfold" issue? Why is that a CGC VG or lower instead of a CGC Qualified 9.6?

Does anyone know the rules for Qualified grades, as from my viewpoint, there aren't any. The "X grade, but for one major flaw" doesn't hold water in the majority of cases.

If that's a 6.0 in any plane of existence, then I'll eat the book with mustard.

It's not a 6.0, it's a "Qualified 6.0 10 pages missing".

I'm a big proponent of qualified grades, and this book is exactly why. For those who collect only NM books, it's a bit of a foreign concept to deal with low grade/incomplete books, but this is a great book for someone. "Qualified 6.0 10 pages missing" has a lot more information and tells the buyer a whole lot more than Fair/Poor/Incomplete/whatever does. So what's the grade? Whatcha think g?

And hey...I thought you were for more information on the label?

(Anyhow, thanks for not calling me an imbecile! 893applaud-thumb.gif)

If it were a Universal grade you can't give it above a Poor but would that be fair to a book that has a Fine cover?

This comment disturbs me on multiple levels. Even though it's slabbed, there's still an actual comic inside the cover....

Well, not in the case of this half-book. 27_laughing.gif

It's not a 6.0, it's a "Qualified 6.0 10 pages missing".

But where's the consistency? Why do I see CGC 3.0 Universal books with "Detached Centerfold" that looked great but were not fully inspected by the submitter.

Why should 10 pages missing get a Qualified 6.0, but one with a detached centerfold or cover receive a CGC 3.0 or lower?

Of course, this wasn't an AF 15 that had the detached centerfold, and I think that's the crux of the issue.

I've seen a LOT of Qualified books with detached covers and centerfolds...I've also seen high grade Universal books with detached centerfolds, which didn't make sense to me. Are you saying the 3.0 you saw was much higher grade but had a detached centerfold? I'd be interested in seeing a scan.

No, the crux of the issue is this book is incomplete. makepoint.gif

I believe CGC's policy is that incomplete books cannot be graded above fair/poor. If you have an otherwise fair/poor book missing a centerfold, it would still be fair/poor and there's no reason for a qualified grade. confused-smiley-013.gif

If you have an otherwise fair/poor book missing a centerfold, it would still be fair/poor and there's no reason for a qualified grade

I've definitely seen that be inconsistent...sometimes they give the Qualified grade for missing pages, sometimes they give the Poor Universal grade.

Here's an example of CGC's inconsistency with regards to missing pages. Check these two books out:

Spidey 3 CGC 0.5

Spidey 3 CGC Qualified 5.5

The book at the top link is slightly restored and missing a page. The book looks from the exterior to be 9.4 or better, which makes it very obvious that the 0.5 grade was given due to the missing page. The book at the bottom link is also missing a page, but this time, they chose to give it the Qualified grade.

I've got more scans of books that look to be about VG but are Universal 0.5 due to missing pages, and I've also got more scans of books that are Qualified 3.5 or higher due to missing pages. I haven't really seen much consistency regarding how CGC grades books with missing pages. At one time, I used to wonder whether they'd give it the Qualified grade due to non-story pages and 0.5 due to story pages, but I've seen exceptions to that so I don't think that's the way they do it.

Here's an example of CGC's inconsistency with regards to missing pages. Check these two books out:

Spidey 3 CGC 0.5

Spidey 3 CGC Qualified 5.5

The book at the top link is slightly restored and missing a page. The book looks from the exterior to be 9.4 or better, which makes it very obvious that the 0.5 grade was given due to the missing page. The book at the bottom link is also missing a page, but this time, they chose to give it the Qualified grade.

I've got more scans of books that look to be about VG but are Universal 0.5 due to missing pages, and I've also got more scans of books that are Qualified 3.5 or higher due to missing pages. I haven't really seen much consistency regarding how CGC grades books with missing pages. At one time, I used to wonder whether they'd give it the Qualified grade due to non-story pages and 0.5 due to story pages, but I've seen exceptions to that so I don't think that's the way they do it.

A Restored comic cannot also be Qualified. We very rarely qualify a comic if it's appearance is 3.5 or below.