• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Qualified or Crapified?

312 posts in this topic

Technically, both books would be "Poor"......but that doesn't accurately reflect the book in each scenario. CGC reflects that with it's "qualified" grade and gives full disclosure about the book. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

I'll say this one more time for the peeps. CGC grading this half-book as a 6.0 of ANY label or designation, requires the grading of AIR. And with 10 pages missing, that's a whole of air.

Maybe CGC should start measuring amputees:

6' 7" Qualified - Missing Legs

This book is a POOR by OS standards, no better than a G by mine (I WAS trying to be nice), yet in order to improve the resale value of the comic, CGC can somehow transform this POS into a CGC 6.0 Qualified with a wave of their magic wand. Those who spend their waking hours in a fantasy land should feel right at home with this grade.

Also, if this was not an AF 15, we wouldn't even be here talking about it, as it would automatically be a CGC 0.5 Universal.

You are the guy who is so pleased with CGC giving this same half-comic a 6.0 numerical grade on a Qualified label. How in God's grean earth is that better?

If it's a Fair, then give it a Fair.

Joe..joe..joe...you just graded a book missing 10 pages as a "Good-", and you're asking me how "CGC 6.0 Qualified, missing 10 pages" is better!?!? This example perfectly illustrates the value of the CGC qualified grade (and the value of CGC grading in general) - if someone purchased an AF 15 in "Good-" and got this book, they'd never buy another raw book again!!

And once again class, this book is not a "Fair", this book is "Incomplete", as Bugaboo and I explained above. Next Week - "Grading 102 - Corner Creases and Staple Tears", reserve your seats now!! 27_laughing.gif

So what is CGC giving it a 6.0 called? Temporary insanity?

Probably the same thing as giving it a straight 1.8 Good- grade. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Okay Bug, time to go to bed. Maybe in the morning your mommy can tell you the difference between 6.0 and 1.8.

For those who don't believe in the Qualified grade, let me put forth a hypothetical example...You have a Hulk 181 that looks to be in 9.4 condition except the MVS is cut out. Right next to it is a beat up, ragged, stained POS copy of Hulk 181, also with the MVS cut out. According to the Qualified naysayers, these 2 comics are in the same condition. Even if you believe they should both be graded 0.5, you can't tell me they are worth the same. The qualified grade allows a seller to differentiate between the 2.

When CGC graded that Amazing Fantasy 15 6.0 (Q), they were saying that if this book wasn't missing the 10 pages, it would have graded a 6.0, but because it is missing 10 pages, they are letting a potential buyer know there is something wrong with the book by putting a green label on it.

If this were a copy of let's say Avengers 43 and it was missing 10 pages, it would most likely get a Universal 0.5 with 10 pages missing incomplete. But since this is an Amazing Fantasy and even just the cover would have some value, CGC is letting any potential buyers know the condition minus the 10 missing pages.

893frustrated.gif

The book is NOWHERE NEAR COMPLETE. You can't assign a "grade" to a book like that. It, in my eyes, is less than "Poor." You want to start talking about just the COVER having value? Fine. Then start collecting covers... hmmm... and considering the group I'm talking to... (just kidding, fellers!)

The book is NOT a 6.0. The fact of the matter is that the book is MISSING TEN PAGES. It is in no way a 6.0. It is a comic book MINUS ten pages. Hell, ANY book missing ANY pages is an auto-"Poor" to me. The whole idea behind comics is READING them... not their after-market resale value, right? You want to talk about grades, then be honest and assign the grade that is due: "Poor." Unless you'd rather just put a label on there that says:

"Poor, but seriously, check this thing out. It's SO SWEET! Sure, it's missing ten pages, but look at it! You can't tell anyway! It's in a slab, man! Who'll ever know that the story contained herein is completely nonsensical due to the fact that over a third of it is missing? THIS IS A 6.0 COVER, MAN! HOT HOT HOT INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITY! BUY NOW!"

... hm. But that would be really tough to read in an Ebay auction picture, wouldn't it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Joe..joe..joe...you just graded a book missing 10 pages as a "Good-", and you're asking me how "CGC 6.0 Qualified, missing 10 pages" is better!?!? This example perfectly illustrates the value of the CGC qualified grade (and the value of CGC grading in general) - if someone purchased an AF 15 in "Good-" and got this book, they'd never buy another raw book again!!

And once again class, this book is not a "Fair", this book is "Incomplete", as Bugaboo and I explained above. Next Week - "Grading 102 - Corner Creases and Staple Tears", reserve your seats now!! 27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I love this! The CGC Acolytes, Apologists and other Religious Sects have certainly shown themselves in this thread. Take a bow boys and head back in for some more CGC swill. Step up to the trough and suck deeply.

You guys crack me up. I'm right and you know it, and all you have to cling to is some silly grade I gave it because I was trying to be nice. I noticed the rude response I got to my previous POS grading, and now I've got all you puppies biting at my heels.

Puppies are kinda cute, but not too smart. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I'll say this one more time for the peeps. CGC grading this half-book as a 6.0 of ANY label or designation, requires the grading of AIR. And with 10 pages missing, that's a whole of air.

Not at all. They graded what they could see and gave it a clearly different colored label with full disclosure of why it's a qualified grade.

This book is a POOR by OS standards, no better than a G by mine (I WAS trying to be nice)

Are you actually expecting us to believe that? They would both CLEARLY be "Poor" according to the grading guides. For straight grades, this isn't even debatable......and I'm suprised you're even trying to argue the point.

Also, if this was not an AF 15, we wouldn't even be here talking about it, as it would automatically be a CGC 0.5 Universal.

You said earlier:

"I think the real question should be "What if the 10 pages were missing from a Ultimate Spider-man #22?

CGC 0.5 "

Steve Borock replied:

WRONG, it would receive a Qualified grade to reflect the "look" of the comic book.

Maybe CGC should start measuring amputees:

6' 7" Qualified - Missing Legs

So you'd classify this amputee as a dwarf since he's so short? Does simply calling him a dwarf tell you the whole story--is that accurate?

Where do you keep getting the 1.8 G- and 2.0 G grades for this at? By Overstreet standards new and old, this book is a 0.5 Poor.

So what is CGC giving it a 6.0 called? Temporary insanity?

Probably the same thing as giving it a straight 1.8 Good- grade. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Okay Bug, time to go to bed. Maybe in the morning your mommy can tell you the difference between 6.0 and 1.8.

And Maybe tomorrow your underage boyfriend can read a grading guide to you. A qualified grade with different colored label and full disclosure is more revealing about the books condition than a straight 1.8 Good- grade on an otherwise Poor copy. I'd say it's even more revealing than a technically accurate 0.5 grade on this copy.

If this book was given a 0.5 grade by CGC, a bidder would have no clue about it's actual condition.....since a poor grade allows for a number of severe defects including missing staples, brittleness, mildew or moderate to heavy cover abrasion to the point that some cover inks are indistinct/absent. It could have small chunks missing and pieces out of pages and may have been defaced with paints, varnishes, glues, oil, indelible markers or dyes. Covers may also be split the entire length of the book with chunks missing and pages may be missing.

You guys crack me up. I'm right and you know it... 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

Sure you are:

Joe the Omnipotent: "Overstreet has stated many times that comics with missing panels, ad pages, pin-ups, etc. cannot grade higher than VG."

Overstreet (definition of Good): "Comics in this grade have all pages and covers..."

(Note to self: don't buy any Good- books from Joe... gossip.gif)

To throw a monkey wrench in all this, here's an example of a book that looks like it might break the consistency for CGC's use of the Qualified grade. This one looks to be in the 5.0 range, although there could be some major defect not visible in the scan...is the cover detached at the top staple?

Saddle Justice 8 CGC 0.5 front

Saddle Justice CGC 0.5 back

Ah, as it should be.

It could be that they thought this was around a 3.5 or lower since that's the threshold Steve mentioned earlier in the thread below which they don't give the Qualified grade any more. When I first saw it, I thought it looked like a 6.0-7.0 from the front, but the back shows a bit more wear and there could be some other defect not visible knocking it down besides the missing centerfold.

What's the point of the grade......if it doesn't really mean anything? confused-smiley-013.gif

Why doesn't it mean anything...you mean because it's a Poor by the Overstreet standards?

If you had to choose between this Amazing Fantasy 15 with 10 missing pages that looks otherwise Fine, and an Amazing Fantasy 15 with 10 missing pages that is so mangled that it would've been a Poor even if the 10 pages were intact...which one would you choose?

It's a no-brainer...we'd pick the nicer one. But...they grade the same by Overstreet standards! Therefore, I guess, the non-mangled one is not really nicer! But, still, 9 or 10 out of 10 people would pick the non-mangled copy...doesn't that mean the grade is still somehow better, even though they're both supposedly Poor?

We probably need more grades at the bottom of the scale, or perhaps varying levels of incompleteness...