• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Educate Me On Will Eisner

29 posts in this topic

I suggest you try to get some reader copies of the Warren/Kitchen Sink reprint series, Great stories, excellent production values and some are even in colour.

Yes, the Warren/Kitchen reprints can be had for a song, and the reproduction is excellent.

The DC Spirit Archives are also excellent -- 21 volumes so far, and 2 more due this year.

But nothing can beat owning the original sections!

A well-known story, but a good one: the director WIlliam Freidkin lifted the chase scene in The French Connection (under the elevated train) from a classic Spirit story. Eisner did it first.

It may be well known, but it's news to me. That's neat. (thumbs u

As an aside, Eisner was actually in Sydney for a Convention back in (I think) 1986.

I suggest you try to get some reader copies of the Warren/Kitchen Sink reprint series, Great stories, excellent production values and some are even in colour.

Yes, the Warren/Kitchen reprints can be had for a song, and the reproduction is excellent.

The DC Spirit Archives are also excellent -- 21 volumes so far, and 2 more due this year.

But nothing can beat owning the original sections!

(thumbs u

As far as lifting goes, Frank Miller openly stated he lifted Eisner panel designs when he was doing Daredevil back in the 1980s.

Also, and my favorite Eisner story:

When he was pitching the Spirit, he wanted to do a crime comic. The publisher wanted a superhero. So Eisner told him he had a character who wore gloves, a blue suit, and a mask. This placated the publisher. He ended up getting the Spirit.

IMHO, Eisner's work, especially on the Spirit, should be required reading for any comic fan.

A well-known story, but a good one: the director WIlliam Freidkin lifted the chase scene in The French Connection (under the elevated train) from a classic Spirit story. Eisner did it first.

Hmm, thanks for the tip. I was just watching The Blues Bros in HDTV last night thinking about the Exorcist director's EL chase. What a great homage.

The Spirit as most know was a newspaper insert.

I'm also sure everyone here knows Miller will direct The Spirit movie; or at least try to. He's an auteur now after that Sin City collaboration.

I'm going to send Mac-Man some reading material so he can see for himself.

Angelo

Angelo-- the books showed up today, will be giving them a read through, and will let you know. (thumbs u