• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay S/H - Buyers taking advantage of Sellers

32 posts in this topic

I thought it would be a good idea to address some of what I think are some key misconceptions about running a business.

In all successful business models, the cost of doing business is incorporating into the price of whatever commodity and/or service is for sale and is, therefore, passed along to the consumer.

I'm surprised that so many knowledgible people on these boards don't understand that.

Why do you think auction houses, (as opposed to ebay) have such high fees?

If I were to sell my comics online I would list and charge every cent of the handling fees I spent to get you your comic. I'd might even charge for accurately grading the comic. It takes time to do it right and I'm good at it. How much does CGC charge for a pre-screen?

And then there is the "opportunity cost", which is the cost of doing something better with my time, be it time earning (more) money in some other (easier) way or simply "quality time" with my son.

Ebay has kicked the bottom out of the back issue market. Prices are dirt cheap.

And yet, people want to nickel and dime to death the very people making it possible for collectors to finally obtain their HTF comics at below OPG prices.

"Tough luck for the dealers." you may say. "What goes around comes around."

"They shouldn't be in business, then."

Just be careful you don't drive the the good ones off ebay.

(This is the first thread I've begun. How'd I do?)

Pretty good for a first thread. Nice use of the Return key, well used quotation marks. (thumbs u

Little glitch with the spelling of knowledgeable :baiting: , but otherwise fine.

As to content you are spot on. If shipping and handling is stated and later charged at that amount, buyer has no come back unless the goods arrive damaged as a result of poor packing.

I'm glad your good at grading, because that hasn't been my observation of the other 99% of ebay sellers. I'm just not seeing the bargains you're describing for SA back issues. I refuse to pay close to guide for mid grade. :sorry:

BTW - I don't think you will see a lot of sympathy for ebay sellers here. There are a number of forum members who do it well, because they grade and price appropriately!

In all successful business models, the cost of doing business is incorporating into the price of whatever commodity and/or service is for sale and is, therefore, passed along to the consumer.

I agree with this. Either set you EBay Store, or Auction Starting, Price at a level that makes you money. That's how real businesses work, their retail price have costs and profit built-in.

It's the sellers on EBay, who set a BIN at $25 for a single raw book, then charge $12 shipping + $5 handling that burn my hass - these jerks are ruining EBay.

If I were to sell my comics online I would list and charge every cent of the handling fees I spent to get you your comic. I'd might even charge for accurately grading the comic. It takes time to do it right and I'm good at it. How much does CGC charge for a pre-screen?

And then there is the "opportunity cost", which is the cost of doing something better with my time, be it time earning (more) money in some other (easier) way or simply "quality time" with my son.

Uh oh, SCREWBALL ALERT!!! :news:

OMFG. I saw that JC replied and I was all worried I'd be flamed. I read his first post and was quite relieved. Then I read his second post and my stomach dropped a few inches.

No, I wouldn't charge to grade the comic correctly. I would enjoy flipping through the comic. I was exaggerating in order to make a point about the effort involved.

I know I could look but how much does CGC charge for what accurate ebay sellers do? Pre-screen comics, that is.

Here's the way I view it:

If you want to operate like a retail store, open up an EBay store and set your prices based on costs + profit. If you want to charge a buyer premium like Heritage, then get a business license and set up an auction house. If you want to professionally grade comics, then set up your investment capital, fill out the paperwork and go to it.

But if you want to lists books at open auction, and start you auction lower than cost + profit, then be damn sure you only charge packing supplies + postal cost.

Otherwise you're making an innocent buyer suffer for your low-IQ, poor business sense, and utter stupidity.

If you want to operate like a retail store, open up an EBay store and set your prices based on costs + profit. If you want to charge a buyer premium like Heritage, then get a business license and set up an auction house.

But if you want to lists books at open auction, and start you auction lower than cost + profit, then be damn sure you only charge packing supplies + postal cost.

Otherwise you're making an innocent buyer suffer for your low-IQ, poor business sense, and utter stupidity.

(thumbs u

'nuff said

If you want to operate like a retail store, open up an EBay store and set your prices based on costs + profit. If you want to charge a buyer premium like Heritage, then get a business license and set up an auction house. If you want to professionally grade comics, then set up your investment capital, fill out the paperwork and go to it.

I couldnt agree more.

I'm just not seeing the bargains you're describing for SA back issues. I refuse to pay close to guide for mid grade. :sorry:

There are a number of forum members who do it well, because they grade and price appropriately!

I couldn't agree more! That's why I've been buying only from my LCSs and the Boards.

Excellent.

I couldn't agree more! That's why I've been buying only from my LCSs

lol:signfunny: Oh you were being serious weren't you? Must be nice to have an LCS that (A) Can grade (B) Knows that 150% of NM guide is not reasonable for mid grade mid 70's x-men books © Know what silver age is.

Phoenix sucks.

What's a batch anyways?

Over here a "Batch" is a holiday home you bugger off to on Friday night - normally by the sea or off in the woods and then begrudgingly return home on Sunday so you can go to work on Monday like all the other drones.

Useless fact of the day donated by me :acclaim: