• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
25 25

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2022 at 1:24 PM, Gaard said:

"There is a precedent for acetate covers being attached to a printed book, and then graded by CGC"

"For us, this was an unprecedented item to grade."

Yeah, that was the first thing about this response that jumped out at me.  lol

On 8/12/2022 at 12:59 PM, Buzzetta said:

While we are at it...

I have a question... I have a question... 

Do books submitted for CGC signing opportunities receive a grade bump that they would not normally receive if they were submitted outside the grading opportunity?

Example... Book is a 9.4.  Submitted to CGC comes back a 9.4.    Same book is instead sent to a CGC signing opportunity and comes back a 9.8.

I am literally asking for a friend in this case.   I believe him when he is annoyed that his copy of "x" comes back a lower grade than the book he just sent in for a recent signing.  He says the book he sent in for a signing is nowhere as nice as the "x" he sent in.   I have heard a few of my friends echo these thoughts over the last few months with the CGC signings. 

I have long suspected this. My grading is pretty solid. 9 times out of 10, CGC gives my book exactly what I was calling it. And I generally write off the hordes of "CGC robbed me!" crybabies as just sore losers with bad grading skills. The exception is what happens above 9.4 though. I never grade a raw book higher than 9.6 (for so many reasons). I send apparently flawless books in for blue labels that mostly come back 9.6 with occasionally a few 9.8s. I send apparently flawless books in for SS labels that mostly come back 9.8 with only a few 9.6s. I hate to admit it, but it's encouraged me to send more books in to CGC signings than I might otherwise.

I have had three possible theories here: A) This is just luck/coincidence, and possibly I just send more modern/newer/nicer books in for signings partly due to my personal critieria for what goes in for signings (often just cool covers that weren't as hard to find in the best possible shape). B) When a signed book goes to CCS, it gets special handling by pressers who have more experience, who can make sure that the cleaning/pressing doesn't mess with the signature, but who also might just do a better job than usual with the pressing. Or C) Certain types of super minor defects are forgiven to some extent when you have a book that has been, by definition, handled and written on.

But I suppose there might also be D) CGC gives bias to their more profitable submissions. After acetategate, it's like... all bets are off, you know?

On 8/12/2022 at 1:24 PM, Gaard said:

"There is a precedent for acetate covers being attached to a printed book, and then graded by CGC"

"For us, this was an unprecedented item to grade."

Of course I'm laughing my off, but it actually gives me hope that they're not necessarily going to die on the first hill they find, and may possibly change what they previously "stood behind."

So When and I see This at Cons.. Don Rosa Draws a Duck on a Book or Signs a Book he writes on it DO NOT CGC..  Is that now to be ignored?  He is the "Established" artist?  It is His Work? Certified Guaranty Corrupt!!  2020 Toilet Paper Shortage, 2021 Baby Formula, 2022 Acetate

giphy.gif

Edited by Jaydee

On 8/12/2022 at 1:19 PM, DrunkWooky said:

The spelling error which was actually CGC correcting Black Flag's bad grammar. So they are correcting something to match something incorrect. 

Is the room spinning? I feel like it's spinning. 

20210314_215913.jpg.7f2e19e11503972ec747c66d0b1fb05d.jpg

Since we are now accepting of acetate covers over top of old unused stock. Does this mean that next year we can then put a foil cover over top of the acetate over top of the stock cover? @CGC Mike let me know when cgc wants to stop making their decision into a mockery.