• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
25 25

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2022 at 12:56 PM, Black_Adam said:

One positive side effect of this controversy has been how many new board members have recently appeared - most of them posting in this thread!

They are really just a bunch of "Stu" login ID's.

On 8/12/2022 at 1:21 PM, Axelrod said:

You are going to get radio silence on this one.  

Maybe, I mean maybe, they will go back to their very first response: "We stand by our grades."  But that will be all.

They can never admit pay-for-grades. Never. Or even, we-give-"prominent-collectors-in-the-community"-special-treatment....

They don't even have to bother with a response.  Their lack of response on that IS the answer.  It's pretty obvious and evident to anyone with a brain that they are standing by the grades that they were paid to give. However, if they wanted to, for the sake of humoring us, they could just clarify and state that in this specific case, they only assigned the grade of the acetate cover.  Which, if that were the case, should also be noted on the label going forward.  But then again, that's still like closing the barn door after the horse has already ran off.

Barring a suit from Marvel to recall the bootlegged books, I don't see this changing or improving their reputation on it. And that's probably not even worth Marvel's time.  We just have to decide for ourselves if we want continue supporting this grading company's standard and brand.

On 8/12/2022 at 12:14 PM, Shazbot said:

The only thing they think they did wrong, and are willing to correct, is the spelling error. 

Just ...wow!!

The spelling error which was actually CGC correcting Black Flag's bad grammar. So they are correcting something to match something incorrect. 

Is the room spinning? I feel like it's spinning. 

Stupid question (not my first, won't be my last), so apologies if this has already been answered - In reality, who should actually be considered the publisher here?  Marvel or Infinite Black Publishing?  Marvel published the underlying book, but the "acetate edition" was apparently not approved by them, and it clearly states "Infinite Black Publishing" on the back.  It's clearly not an official Marvel variant edition, so to me it seems as though CGC should not be listing it as such.

If it's really a publication of Infinite Black Publishing, then I'm surprised that Marvel hasn't dropped the hammer on them yet.  (Maybe they have, and it's just not public knowledge yet.)

I'm mostly concerned about CGC's role in this, but obviously the Marvel/Black Flag/Infinite Black questions dictate what CGC should do with this book.  I guess I'm just too dumb to wrap my head around this whole thing. :insane:

On 8/12/2022 at 11:25 AM, MrBedrock said:

And another in a long line of public relations blunders by a company that unfortunately doesn't understand how failing to properly address their mistakes can cause irreparable damage.

Can it though?  Are people going to stop submitting legitimate comics for grading?  I can't imagine anything else getting their attention.

On 8/12/2022 at 2:19 PM, DrunkWooky said:

The spelling error which was actually CGC correcting Black Flag's bad grammar. So they are correcting something to match something incorrect. 

Is the room spinning? I feel like it's spinning. 

Clayton Crain himself called it the "In God we Intrust" cover when he announced it. 

Intrust is an older form of entrust. 

It's intentional,  not bad grammar. 

Screenshot_20220810-213436_Instagram.jpg

Edited by Sigur Ros