King Comics - UK Price Variants
Here is a summary of the King Comics UK Price Variants (UKPVs) that I have found hiding between the dates of August 1967 and November 1967 inclusive.
UK Price Variants were printed in the USA at the same time as their cents priced counterparts. They are part of the same first printing run and are not reprints. If you would like to know more about them, please click the picture below and you'll be magically transported to the Archie discussion thread in which we talk about them in more detail:
- King Comics UK Price Variants have been found to exist between the indicia dates of August 1967 to November 1967 inclusive (King Comics for this period have no cover months). Across those indicia dates, a total of 24 cents priced comics exist spanning 6 titles. All 24 of them have a matching single printed price UKPV confirmed.
- All 24 UK Price Variants are priced at 10d - on some issues, the US 12c price is still visible behind the UK price, indicating that they were likely overprinted at the end of the US run.
- The title Jungle Jim commences with issue #5, is cover dated December 1967, and therefore misses the UKPV date range by one month. Its cover date of December 1967 also coincides with the move from 12c to 15c for US priced editions and may have a bearing on why the pence copies ceased.
- All UKPV copies are standard sized issues and no ‘oversize’ copies exist e.g. double size, giant sized or annuals.
- The only difference between a pence priced UKPV and its cents priced equivalent is the cover price. Unlike, say, Marvel UKPVs, no other elements differ for King Comics books and the indicias are the same in both editions. This is true of every copy I have found so far.
- It is not currently known who was responsible for distributing King Comics Comics in the UK. I have not personally seen any copies which betray branded UK distributor marks around the UKPV period, or any 'smoking gun' evidence to indicate who it may have been.
Some of the issues for the lesser known titles are extremely scarce, so happy hunting if you decide to build a set!
By Stephen Cranch based on v1.8 of the ‘King Comics – UK Price Variant Summary’
Here are six cover examples - one from each known title