• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

is this a good deal?

23 posts in this topic

Depends,

Do you want slabbed 9.8s no matter what is sitting inside?

I am pretty sure you can dig this book out in $1 boxes at LCS and you might find a NM or better copy.

i was looking for number1s and saw this lil number but when i look it up in OS it says value $4 unless im looking it up wrong im confused.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170135827360&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=007

This is one part of the hobby that will NEVER make sense to me. Take a quarter bin book like this, slap a 9.8, 9.9, 10.0 tag on it and suddenly it's worth $50, $100, $200? That's just nuts.

I don't think it's a good deal at all, but like I said, I don't understand the modern high grade mentality.

According to GPA, the last Man of Steel #1 CGC 9.8 sold in June '07 for $58.

Yes, and crack use is rampant in the USA.

Dr Pepper :cloud9:

Sounds like you're paying mostly for the slabbing fee.

I also don't get the Modern 9.8's craze with inflated prices. But, clearly there's a market for it. I still think it's the equivalent of Musical Chairs and someone is going to be left "standing" at some point in time.

I like this quote:

"Many consider this 6-part storyline on par with Frank Miller's "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns" or Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons' "Watchmen."

I have never heard anyone make this comparison with a straight face?

gator

If '80s Superman, "Collectors Editions" are your thing then its a great deal, otherwise it's just another modern 9.8. :/

OK memory refreshing time.

All references made to this book in this thread are to the "modern" age. 1986...? Yea, ebay lists modern as 1980-present; but I thought the general consesus for modern was the beginning of variants ("foil" age) which was the 90's? And what about the copper age -starting with Crisis DK Watchmen etc- is all this really modern, too?

Whether it's worth something or not, this book is over 20 years old!

Point being: correlation between age and desirabilty does factor in (to varying degrees obviously), and EVERY book started out as a modern.

Except for Gold Age, which is the benchmarck and had nothing to compare itself to previously.....

Rick

This is one part of the hobby that will NEVER make sense to me. Take a quarter bin book like this, slap a 9.8, 9.9, 10.0 tag on it and suddenly it's worth $50, $100, $200? That's just nuts.

Same here, I agree. Label chasers, I guess? The "Buy the label, not the book" crowd?