• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Journey Into Mystery Appreciation Thread
10 10

1,860 posts in this topic

There are a few books that are very commonly found with this defect. Daredevil #7 is another. Ink transfer like this happens because the ink is still wet as the comics are coming off the presses and being stacked. CGC does not downgrade much for it at least up into the 9.4 range as far as I know.

Hope this helps!

Does the printing on the back of the book match up with the ink transfer that was left on the front; if so, this would further support your wet ink transfer comments...

I will check the back cover and report back...can't remember at present...good idea though and thx...

There are a few books that are very commonly found with this defect. Daredevil #7 is another. Ink transfer like this happens because the ink is still wet as the comics are coming off the presses and being stacked. CGC does not downgrade much for it at least up into the 9.4 range as far as I know.

Hope this helps!

Does the printing on the back of the book match up with the ink transfer that was left on the front; if so, this would further support your wet ink transfer comments...

It does on Daredevil #7...I've owned several high grade copies and almost all of them had it.

I believe it does on this book too. The ink transfer on this book always looks the same (if it has it).

Hope this helps!

It does on Daredevil #7...I've owned several high grade copies and almost all of them had it.

I believe it does on this book too. The ink transfer on this book always looks the same (if it has it).

Agreed - looks like ink transfer. Too much ink on the presses or too much water on the presses. Either way, the cover ink was just a bit too wet when they moved on in the printing process.

I put up my copy of JIM 109 awhile back which has XLNT appeal for the grade and received comments mostly along the lines that the markings in the THOR title were some type of storage ink transfer...I still have no idea and I've owned this book since approx. 1969...see below...

THOR109FN-VF-1.jpg

So I thought it was interesting when I spotted this CGC-graded 9.0 on the current Clink auction and it had very similar markings

RADB9A232009814_14148.jpg

Can it be surmised that there was some production-related aspect to this book...seriously, I've felt all along that this was some aspect of production ink on my book and not an aspect of wear or poor storage... (shrug)

The 9.0 book is my undercopy which can be had for a "mere" $560+ :wishluck:

I've noticed that the 9.4 copy in the same auction also has the ink transfer staining, but my nice 9.2 copy doesn't:

JIM109.jpg

Just sayin'!!

I put up my copy of JIM 109 awhile back which has XLNT appeal for the grade and received comments mostly along the lines that the markings in the THOR title were some type of storage ink transfer...I still have no idea and I've owned this book since approx. 1969...see below...

THOR109FN-VF-1.jpg

So I thought it was interesting when I spotted this CGC-graded 9.0 on the current Clink auction and it had very similar markings

Can it be surmised that there was some production-related aspect to this book...seriously, I've felt all along that this was some aspect of production ink on my book and not an aspect of wear or poor storage... (shrug)

:takeit:

Edited by kryptospidey

Well I'd be all over it for $560 but it's presently at $825... :tonofbricks:

Good luck on that one brotha! :headbang:

(thumbs u I think of this book in this grade at about $500- 600. Not anymore!! :preach:

And the hammer price...

Or should I say Mjǫllnir price...

$927

:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Well I'd be all over it for $560 but it's presently at $825... :tonofbricks:

Good luck on that one brotha! :headbang:

(thumbs u I think of this book in this grade at about $500- 600. Not anymore!! :preach:

And the hammer price...

Or should I say Mjǫllnir price...

$927

:headbang::headbang::headbang:

:acclaim: And I'm gonna need it: thrill bid hit paydirt!! :o

Submitted for your perusal: these just in:

First up is one of those killer to find in HG books. This copy will hold the space nicely until a better copy comes along or Roy sells me his WM copy :baiting: :

JIM90.jpg

This book is another elusive in HG book. There's only a single 9.6 ahead of it. Sure its miswrapped, but at 1K less than FMV I had to pull the trigger:

JIM10894.jpg

First up is one of those killer to find in HG books. This copy will hold the space nicely until a better copy comes along or Roy sells me his WM copy :baiting: :

JIM90.jpg

This book is another elusive in HG book. There's only a single 9.6 ahead of it. Sure its miswrapped, but at 1K less than FMV I had to pull the trigger:

JIM10894.jpg

SWEETNESS! :headbang:

JIM90.jpg

JIM10894.jpg

Rich/Roy

I've felt the same #90 is just insane to find in grade...I waffle back and forth on the grade of my raw copy...it's a dam nice copy but has some very subtle technical "issues"...whadya think?

JIM90FC.jpg

JIM90BC.jpg

JIM90.jpg

:whistle:

JourneyIntoMystery90CGC8_0WhiteMoun.jpg

JIM90.jpg

:whistle:

JourneyIntoMystery90CGC8_0WhiteMoun.jpg

WOW...Rich's is actually a #24 and your's is #63... :devil:

THOR109FN-VF-1.jpg

I've noticed that the 9.4 copy in the same auction also has the ink transfer staining, but my nice 9.2 copy doesn't:

JIM109.jpg

Just sayin'!!

Mine has it as well.

jim109.jpg