• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2nd printing separate slot request

228 posts in this topic

Yes, paid through the nose. :P
Define paying through the nose? :o

If you pay through the nose for something, you are being forced to pay a very high price for it.

There are several competing folk derivations of this phrase, but they are regarded by philology as somewhat far-fetched.

One derivation holds that it is a reference to the Danish poll tax on the Irish in the ninth century. The story goes that the Danes slit the noses of non-payers. However, the phrase did not appear in print until 1672.

Another possible explanation is placed on Viking raiders. Vikings required the payment of tribute from cities they did not raid. If the king refused to pay tribute, they would slit their noses. Hence, the king paid "through" the nose.

Another explanation relies on the use of rhino as a slang for money. Rhinos is the Greek word for nose, thus a rather loose connection is supposed to be set up between paying and noses. A nosebleed is a metaphor for being "bled dry" of money.

In sixteenth-century English, Italian, Greek and Latin, however, there is a well-established expression, "to lead by the nose," which means to force or control someone's actions, as a farmer would lead a bull by a ring through its nose. It also has connotations of making a fool of someone. ( 'led by the nose, as asses are' (Othello, Act I, Sc 3). Thus, to pay through the nose could have originated as an extension of this, denoting payment for something at a premium because of a lack of alternative options.

Yes, but the registry is, for me, the only way of sharing my collection with others who enjoy the hobby. None of my friends collect comics. And see other collections I would never have had the chance to see. I applaud the registry for that.

hmhm

This really stinks. I am so against this I am beyond angry. It has take me a lot of time and a lot of money to get near 93 % complete on my 1-450 set. Now I find out it gets knocked down to 85% due to some BS addtional printings and variant covers. This *spoon* is what nearly ruined comics in the early 90's. I have no problem with creating a separate set that includes these #$%!@ 2nd's. But don't ruin over a year's worth of work for this.

Both of your guys are acting so childish. Like JC said, the registry is a way to keep track of your comics and show them off. No one is forcing you to buy the second print and variants. In reality you need the second prints to be completists. CGC did their job by giving an accurate list and slots of what is comics belong to a set.

Then I hope in the future that CGC will also add the price variants, newstand/direct/Whitman editions and other versions and variants necessary for the COMPLETE set.

Are you going to start a thread requesting that?

• Administrator

:acclaim: Thank you for all the kind words and praise for my hard work... :baiting:

I DO intend on adding variants as requested by memberS of the registry. Yes, I also had PM's, e-mails and phone calls requesting this specific addition....

But I am adding the price variants and other variants from the issues 1-144 at some point today...though I'm working on the Astonishing Set right now (and grooving to Orb) :)

I know that each change to the Registry will have some growing pains and grumbling, but truly I'd rather it be a changing entity than not. I have been trying to "update" the sets that seem to have activity and requests for updates....

We are also considering a new list of sets...though there is not a specific timeline for their completion (as usual).

....so..... :insane: and..... :banana: but you aren't getting any :sorry:lol! (thumbs u

I DO intend on adding variants as requested by memberS of the registry. Yes, I also had PM's, e-mails and phone calls requesting this specific addition....

But I am adding the price variants and other variants from the issues 1-144 at some point today...though I'm working on the Astonishing Set right now (and grooving to Orb) :)

Overall, I think this is a good move, assuming that ALL NA versions outlined the CGC Census get included, and there is not predilection towards only Modern 2nd prints and manufactured variants.

EDIT: I can't believe this is my 22,000th post. :tonofbricks:

:acclaim: Thank you for all the kind words and praise for my hard work... :baiting:

I know that each change to the Registry will have some growing pains and grumbling, but truly I'd rather it be a changing entity than not. I have been trying to "update" the sets that seem to have activity and requests for updates....

We are also considering a new list of sets...though there is not a specific timeline for their completion (as usual).

....so..... :insane: and..... :banana: but you aren't getting any :sorry:lol! (thumbs u

Hi Gemma:

Sorry, but count me among the grumbling types.

Part of the fun of the registry is completing a set in a certain grade. And now that the sets are expanding to include variants, it’s getting a lot more difficult if not impossible to complete a set. It sounds like the X-Men 30¢ and 35¢ variants going to be included in the sets now. And now, if you want a complete high grade set, it’ll probably never happen. And where does it stop? Do you include UK or Canadian versions in the sets too?

I thought the registry was set up in a way that reflects the collecting styles of most collectors. And that’s a good thing. But if you include variants in the sets, I don’t think that’ll be the case anymore. I know there are plenty of people who collect variants. But I truly doubt that most people who say they have a complete set of Amazing Spider-Man, X-Men, or any other title include the variants in their count.

Why not make a different set for variant copies? Or make it an option to include variants in existing sets? That way you can appease the variant crowd while not bumming out the people who don’t care about them.

Hi Gemma:

Part of the fun of the registry is completing a set in a certain grade. And now that the sets are expanding to include variants, it’s getting a lot more difficult if not impossible to complete a set. It sounds like the X-Men 30¢ and 35¢ variants going to be included in the sets now. And now, if you want a complete high grade set, it’ll probably never happen. And where does it stop? Do you include UK or Canadian versions in the sets too?

I thought the registry was set up in a way that reflects the collecting styles of most collectors. And that’s a good thing. But if you include variants in the sets, I don’t think that’ll be the case anymore. I know there are plenty of people who collect variants. But I truly doubt that most people who say they have a complete set of Amazing Spider-Man, X-Men, or any other title include the variants in their count.

Why not make a different set for variant copies? Or make it an option to include variants in existing sets? That way you can appease the variant crowd while not bumming out the people who don’t care about them.

:golfclap: Exactly, how i feel. I enjoy using the registry but I also look forward to completing my sets and moving on to new sets. But with all these new variant printings being added that won't be possible. Not in high grade anyway.

• Administrator

OK, if I can have to the end of the week I will create both types of sets for X-Men.....I am reasonable. ;)

Plus, that is how it is for NGC and PMG. They have sets for both...with variants separated out and with them allowed in the same slot. I know since I have been creating the PMG Registry as well.

I will do my best to make the "new" sets have the variants (so MK you will have to move a few things around) but this is so that the rest of the sets will not be affected further.

Please don't do this to other sets. I could see creating a seperate registry set for 2nd prints and variants, but I'd hate it if suddenly these were added to sets I was collecting. 2c

Hi Gemma:

:golfclap: Exactly, how i feel. I enjoy using the registry but I also look forward to completing my sets and moving on to new sets. But with all these new variant printings being added that won't be possible. Not in high grade anyway.

I agree as well.

OK, if I can have to the end of the week I will create both types of sets for X-Men.....I am reasonable. ;)

Plus, that is how it is for NGC and PMG. They have sets for both...with variants separated out and with them allowed in the same slot. I know since I have been creating the PMG Registry as well.

I will do my best to make the "new" sets have the variants (so MK you will have to move a few things around) but this is so that the rest of the sets will not be affected further.

Thank you Gemma! You are a kind and fair ambassador of the registry.

Still doesnt make it right since MANY other sets have variants and second printings included. The second prints and variants belong in their respective sets. Many will agree, many will not but in the end you need to do what is right.

If thats what you want to do to make everyone happy, thats fine, I have stated my case and you had obviously agreed. I am done.

She is giving everyone what they want. Some can choose the sets with the 2nds and variants and some can choose the sets without. At least that is my understanding of you her post. BTW... Thank you again Gemma. Maybe your new name should be Queen Solomon. :foryou:

Still doesnt make it right since MANY other sets have variants and second printings included. The second prints and variants belong in their respective sets. Many will agree, many will not but in the end you need to do what is right.

I think anything that was available on the store or comic book shelves is fair game for the Registry. That includes price variants, 2nd/3rd printings, some manufactured variants, but obviously not stuff like RRP's, toy premiums or mail-ins.

That's just my view.

(worship) Thank you. I understand those who collect 2nd printings to want to show them and I would not stand in their way to do so. This way everyone's happy. (thumbs u

She is giving everyone what they want. Some can choose the sets with the 2nds and variants and some can choose the sets without. At least that is my understanding of you her post. BTW... Thank you again Gemma. Maybe your new name should be Queen Solomon. :foryou:
Its BS if you ask me especially when I know I am right and Gemma agreed.

I have to have my set registered seperate from everyone now (shrug)