• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Wonder Woman all the Time thread
8 8

2,598 posts in this topic

P8250322.jpg

Highest graded of the eight copies in the census. Partial grey-tone, I think

Beautiful book, but that's the one Silver Age Wonder Woman cover I absolutely dislike!

(shrug)

I find with #108, either you love it or hate it...

#104, is my all-time favorite WW cover!

WW_104.jpg

Very nice. (thumbs u I wonder why the Wonder Women comics from roughly 1955 to 1961 are so tough to locate. Anyone have any theories? hm

Television was just getting popular, Superman was on TV, girls were focused on dolls, Barbies, and they were pushed towards Archie stuff if any comics at all. Seduction of the Innocent was fresh in the mind of the parents of Baby Boomers, so lots of parents were tossing comics, and she didn't really have the same kind of powers as Superman or Superboy...and then DC published a competing character, Supergirl, ,she could fly, had a flying horse and she had all of Superman's powers!.

Wonder Woman comics were not found as often on newstands, they didn't sell as well. Girls were watching Donna Reed and Gale Storm/Susie and wanting to grow up like them. This was way before the women's movement. Veronica, Betty and Katy Keene were more the type that the girls of that era looked up to.

I'm glad it changed;)

Very nice. (thumbs u I wonder why the Wonder Women comics from roughly 1955 to 1961 are so tough to locate. Anyone have any theories? hm

Television was just getting popular, Superman was on TV, girls were focused on dolls, Barbies, and they were pushed towards Archie stuff if any comics at all. Seduction of the Innocent was fresh in the mind of the parents of Baby Boomers, so lots of parents were tossing comics, and she didn't really have the same kind of powers as Superman or Superboy...and then DC published a competing character, Supergirl, ,she could fly, had a flying horse and she had all of Superman's powers!.

Wonder Woman comics were not found as often on newstands, they didn't sell as well. Girls were watching Donna Reed and Gale Storm/Susie and wanting to grow up like them. This was way before the women's movement. Veronica, Betty and Katy Keene were more the type that the girls of that era looked up to.

I'm glad it changed;)

Thanks,

I remember I had only been collecting for a year back in 1999, and had already noticed how hard it was to find 50's WW.

I'm glad it changed;)

Nice analysis. :applause:

I started actively pursuing WW books in 2000, took me almost 10 years to complete the set and I was not very fussy about grades in the beginning, I just wanted A copy.

Congratulations, and thanks for the detailed response. I only have a few Wonder Women. Of the books I own this is my favorite. :cloud9:

wonderwoman83.jpg

I started actively pursuing WW books in 2000, took me almost 10 years to complete the set and I was not very fussy about grades in the beginning, I just wanted A copy.

That is an awesome feat. Your Sensation set is a pretty awesome feat as well (thumbs u

I only collected wonder woman from the golden age (1-78) but rounded up to 80. To make it a little challenging I tried to keep all vg and above and unrestored. I did collect sensation through 106 though. Same restriction

Here are my treasured 102 & 106

WW_102.jpg

WW_106.jpg

106 took many years to find in nice shape!

Notice how Wonder Woman lost her good looks between issues #102 and #106. When the Ross Andru/Mike Esposito team took over the artwork on the Wonder Woman title from H.G. Peter, they made her look absolutely luscious. But after a few issues the killjoys who were the powers-that-be at DC told them to knock it off and make her look boxy and somewhat masculine (in my eyes anyway).

(shrug)

Here are my treasured 102 & 106

WW_102.jpg

WW_106.jpg

106 took many years to find in nice shape!

Notice how Wonder Woman lost her good looks between issues #102 and #106. When the Ross Andru/Mike Esposito team took over the artwork on the Wonder Woman title from H.G. Peter, they made her look absolutely luscious. But after a few issues the killjoys who were the powers-that-be at DC told them to knock it off and make her look boxy and somewhat masculine (in my eyes anyway).

(shrug)

This is true. When A&E first took over the series, they gave Diana a subtle Mediterranean look - slimmer with high cheek bones and long flowing hair. Pity.