• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Wonder Woman all the Time thread
8 8

2,598 posts in this topic

On 10/6/2017 at 6:14 PM, skypinkblu said:

Nice copy! Which books do you still need? 

Heads up to everyone on the Marston Movie, too!

Now, this is an absolutely gorgeous poster for the movie and the best of the three:

On 9/2/2017 at 11:58 AM, Bosco685 said:

didsrmquqaasuqw.jpg

And I love the line:  The True Story of the Women Behind the Man Behind the Woman.  (thumbsu

Not sure about the so-called sexual revolution of the 60's because it looks like the old pysch professor himself was already pretty kinky and open-minded back in the 30's and 40's.  :devil:

Now, I guess we have a much better understanding of the origin of Wonder Woman's costume and her Lasso of Truth, and it certainly looks like old Charles, shall we simply say, had a much more passionate and submissive use for it in real life:   lol

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt6133130/videoplayer/vi678344985?ref_=m_tt_ov_vi

Along with a much better idea of how the Amazon inhabitants kept themselves "busy" during their "free time" on Paradise Island.  :blush:

Edited by lou_fine

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Now, this is an absolutely gorgeous poster for the movie and the best of the three:

And I love the line:  The True Story of the Women Behind the Man Behind the Woman.  (thumbsu

Not sure about the so-called sexual revolution of the 60's because it looks like the old pysch professor himself was already pretty kinky and open-minded back in the 30's and 40's.  :devil:

Now, I guess we have a much better understanding of the origin of Wonder Woman's costume and her Lasso of Truth, and it certainly looks like old Charles, shall we simply say, had a much more passionate and submissive use for it in real life:   lol

Along with a much better idea of how the Amazon inhabitants kept themselves "busy" during their "free time" on Paradise Island.  :blush:

It's really old news, lol. Some of us knew this story for a while. The Jill Lepore book is pretty detailed. I wonder if the movie goes into his relationship with Margaret Sanger?  I'm looking forward to seeing it, but I have a feeling my husband is looking forward to it more.

Marston was not exactly as good looking as the actor.

https://www.google.com/search?q=william+moulton+marston&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiloIzI8e_WAhVF7CYKHbfAA-YQ_AUICigB&biw=1603&bih=710#imgrc=oNSLi0KK_ACU1M:

7 hours ago, skypinkblu said:
11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

It's really old news, lol. Some of us knew this story for a while. The Jill Lepore book is pretty detailed. I wonder if the movie goes into his relationship with Margaret Sanger?  I'm looking forward to seeing it, but I have a feeling my husband is looking forward to it more.

Marston was not exactly as good looking as the actor.

https://www.google.com/search?q=william+moulton+marston&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiloIzI8e_WAhVF7CYKHbfAA-YQ_AUICigB&biw=1603&bih=710#imgrc=oNSLi0KK_ACU1M:

And needless to say, I am also quite sure that both of these women in real life were not as good looking as the 2 actresses that portrayed them in the movie, especially in the case of the one playing Olive Byrne. 

Yes, although the majority of long-time comic collectors like ourselves were already aware of Marston's background, I am quite sure that the general movie going public would have no idea at all.  Especially in the fact that he was an internationally noted and recognized psychologist at the time, although a very prurient one at that. 

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

And needless to say, I am also quite sure that both of these women in real life were not as good looking as the 2 actresses that portrayed them in the movie, especially in the case of the one playing Olive Byrne. 

Yes, although the majority of long-time comic collectors like ourselves were already aware of Marston's background, I am quite sure that the general movie going public would have no idea at all.  Especially in the fact that he was an internationally noted and recognized psychologist at the time, although a very prurient one at that. 

He was really into women's rights, which I find odd considering his love of bondage and other kinky stuff, lol.  You'd think that someone who thought bondage was a good thing would NOT be so into the suffrage movement, and would not be a proponent of women's right to an equal education, but he was. Definitely an original character;)  He traveled to the beat of a different drum.

Meanwhile he created a feminist icon. I'm not so sure many of the fans of the feminist movement knew about the bondage stuff;) or his living with 2 women. There was a 3rd one in the mix as well.

I keep trying to decide if I want a copy of her appearance in Ms Magazine, or I really don't. I've always had a rather pragmatic view of the "feminist" movement.  

I saw the secret history of comics Wonder Woman last night and was so disappointed with the way they presented the timeline of events.  Too much of a "drama" and they made it all about the implied sex just to grab viewers.  Too bad.  

I liked the Superman episode, but even that got a lot of the timeline wrong and I don't even know much about it.

On 12/5/2017 at 6:13 PM, Knightsofold said:

WW and Sensation have seriously won the "Coldest threads, best selling books" award if there ever was one.

I agree. Last year I posted a bunch of times in the WW thread but never found there to be a whole lot of dialogue and banter, with long runs of cricket chirps in between posts. (Maybe due to the quality of my posts! lol ). The thread eventually fell off my radar. I think it’s picked up a bit with the movie, but not much. Perhaps/probably it’s just that most of the big book WW purchases are made by non-boardies.

On 11/28/2017 at 1:02 PM, Knightsofold said:

I saw the secret history of comics Wonder Woman last night and was so disappointed with the way they presented the timeline of events.  Too much of a "drama" and they made it all about the implied sex just to grab viewers.  Too bad.  

I liked the Superman episode, but even that got a lot of the timeline wrong and I don't even know much about it.

I never even knew it was on.

5 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

I agree. Last year I posted a bunch of times in the WW thread but never found there to be a whole lot of dialogue and banter, with long runs of cricket chirps in between posts. (Maybe due to the quality of my posts! lol ). The thread eventually fell off my radar. I think it’s picked up a bit with the movie, but not much. Perhaps/probably it’s just that most of the big book WW purchases are made by non-boardies.

Bob used to bump the thread (Boba) but he's been busy with non comic stuff. 

What do you consider a "big" purchase? I've been upgrading a few, it's just that they are getting so expensive, I can't upgrade as often as I'd like.  I'm stunned by some of the prices lately.

18 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Bob used to bump the thread (Boba) but he's been busy with non comic stuff. 

What do you consider a "big" purchase? I've been upgrading a few, it's just that they are getting so expensive, I can't upgrade as often as I'd like.  I'm stunned by some of the prices lately.

Yep, GA prices are stratospheric these days. Good for sellers anyhow.

By “big purchase” I guess I was paraphrasing “best selling books” in Knightsofold’s post above. A lot of the “best selling books” -- at least those commanding very high prices -- are the early WW and Sensation books, along with All-Star 8 of course. And then there is the inevitable trickle-down effect on rising prices for lower-grade key books and even non-major-key books. 

Maybe @Knightsofold has some additional insights about what he meant by “best selling books”... 

I'm finding it very hard to even find some books that I want to upgrade. There just aren't a lot around and some of the prices  of the ones that are around are crazy.

I won this on eBay after searching for a copy for a year. There is another one on Heritage ending this weekend, but it's the first time I've even seen a copy. Mine has a split cover, the lowest grade of any of the books in my WW collection, so I wanted at least a VG. 

s-l1600.jpg

8 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I'm finding it very hard to even find some books that I want to upgrade. There just aren't a lot around and some of the prices  of the ones that are around are crazy.

I won this on eBay after searching for a copy for a year. There is another one on Heritage ending this weekend, but it's the first time I've even seen a copy. Mine has a split cover, the lowest grade of any of the books in my WW collection, so I wanted at least a VG. 

s-l1600.jpg

very cool...but I keep waiting for "the" call...