• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Wonder Woman all the Time thread
8 8

2,598 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, batt90 said:

This is the first time anyone ever saw Wonder Woman when this card was sent out in Oct 1941 to newspaper editors announcing Sensation 1. It was sent out probably right before All Star 8 hit the stands  

Nice! 

Edited by Knightsofold

So...  now that D.C. Has actually done Wonder Woman justice (how many of us REALLY expected it to be this good?!?!), what happens to valuations?

historically...  comics will drop once the movie finally comes out.  But, rarely has a movie exceeded expectations to this degree....

Personally, I was advised to sell my early books before the movie came out (by a very knowledgeable and old-school collector).  So glad that I didn't.  Because I think that we might actually see a rise in valuations.  I think some sellers might decide to keep their copies. 

Wonder Woman seems like a helluva solid investment to me, at this point.  A lot more solid than Superman or Aquaman (Supes = many not great movies.  Aquaman = tbd).  Wonder Woman could be D.C.'s "Iron Man".  She has proved so, both in BvS and the solo film.

21 hours ago, Doc67 said:

historically...  comics will drop once the movie finally comes out.  But, rarely has a movie exceeded expectations to this degree....

Personally, I was advised to sell my early books before the movie came out (by a very knowledgeable and old-school collector).  So glad that I didn't.  Because I think that we might actually see a rise in valuations.  I think some sellers might decide to keep their copies. 

In terms of exceeding expectations, would it not be Guardians of the Galaxy that has set the bar here.

Even in the case of the Guardians books here, it looks like prices have still not come back up to the same levels as they were at when the first movie came out.  hm

45 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

In terms of exceeding expectations, would it not be Guardians of the Galaxy that has set the bar here.

Even in the case of the Guardians books here, it looks like prices have still not come back up to the same levels as they were at when the first movie came out.  hm

Appreciate the feedback.  But, not exactly apples to apples.  I heard, no proof, that with the success of the GOTG movie, CGC was flooded with copies.  There were huge piles of these books in warehouses.  So, supply and demand was a def factor.  Market got flooded.

With WW, there are roughly twice as many CGC copies of her 1st app relative to Bats and Supes.  Supply is a huge factor.  And you could buy 5 copies of each of her major books (SC 1, WW1 and AS8), for the value of one Tec 27.  That is a huge price discrepancy STILL for one of the big 3 of D.C.

Now, we have a situation where WW has outshone Batman and Superman on the big screen.  We have more money in the hands of women than ever before.  (In fact, a single powerful female/male could change the whole market if they decided the alter the unfair price discrepancy.) And a society that appreciates these female driven comics and their historical importance more than at any past time.  

maybe I am crazy (my wife says I am, quite frequently)...  but for investment purposes only, I would take the 15 WW books over the single Tec 27.  EVEN after the recent run-up.  There is just a whole lot of potential there.  

Just my thoughts.  

26 minutes ago, Doc67 said:

Appreciate the feedback.  But, not exactly apples to apples.  I heard, no proof, that with the success of the GOTG movie, CGC was flooded with copies.  There were huge piles of these books in warehouses.  So, supply and demand was a def factor.  Market got flooded.

With WW, there are roughly twice as many CGC copies of her 1st app relative to Bats and Supes.  Supply is a huge factor.  And you could buy 5 copies of each of her major books (SC 1, WW1 and AS8), for the value of one Tec 27.  That is a huge price discrepancy STILL for one of the big 3 of D.C.

Now, we have a situation where WW has outshone Batman and Superman on the big screen.  We have more money in the hands of women than ever before.  (In fact, a single powerful female/male could change the whole market if they decided the alter the unfair price discrepancy.) And a society that appreciates these female driven comics and their historical importance more than at any past time.  

maybe I am crazy (my wife says I am, quite frequently)...  but for investment purposes only, I would take the 15 WW books over the single Tec 27.  EVEN after the recent run-up.  There is just a whole lot of potential there.  

Just my thoughts.  

I agree with you 100%!

i actually had no idea AS8 was so (relatively) common, though. There do seem to be quite a few copies for sale on eBay etc.

Whereas Sensation 1 barely seems to pop up ever ...

67 slabbed Action 1's. 144 slabbed All Star 8's, 65 Detective 27's.

Do we really know how many unslabbed copies of anything exists? I know I only slabbed my All Star 8 recently, when the price went up, otherwise, it was sitting in a drawer. I'm sure it was not the only copy sitting somewhere.

I'm not so sure that her books were that much more available than the Superman/Batman books, but collectors did not prize them as much, so the prices were lower.

I liked that, I'm not so sure I can keep upgrading my collection with silly prices for her books. 

I still have a few books lower than VG I'd like to upgrade.

8 minutes ago, jabats said:

I agree with you 100%!

i actually had no idea AS8 was so (relatively) common, though. There do seem to be quite a few copies for sale on eBay etc.

Yet there are 89 slabbed copies of Sensation 1.

I think more people just keep the books. Most of us bought them before they were so expensive.

11 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I liked that, I'm not so sure I can keep upgrading my collection with silly prices for her books. 

I still have a few books lower than VG I'd like to upgrade.

The WW mega key "ship has sailed" a bit but other early issues w/ classic covers are still pretty affordable.

e.g. sensation 13 vs superman 14 , or pre-robin tec.

I collect all 3 characters from D.C.'s Trinity and WW is still the "splurge" versus the "investment" that the other 2 have become!

13 minutes ago, jabats said:

The WW mega key "ship has sailed" a bit but other early issues w/ classic covers are still pretty affordable.

e.g. sensation 13 vs superman 14 , or pre-robin tec.

I collect all 3 characters from D.C.'s Trinity and WW is still the "splurge" versus the "investment" that the other 2 have become!

Actually Sensation 13 has been tough for a long time and is definitely going up. Superman 14 had some help a few years ago when one of our beloved leaders here was collecting multiple copies.

I've never been a multiple collector myself, which MIGHT have been a mistake;)

I saw someone list a WW #40 in the forum (coverless) for $100, so someone thinks things are going up;)

I'd be happy if they went down and I could buy 8.0's cheap;)

I wonder how many Wonder Woman books were tossed out after Wertham's book as compared to Superman books. Batman was also a bad guy for his "relationship" with Robin, so I'm sure a lot of his books were trashed...but Marston and his unusual ideas had her in lots of chains and bondage scenes.

1 hour ago, jabats said:

I agree with you 100%!

I think what we have happening in the market right now for AS8 is a typical "profit taking cycle".  

Most people bought these cheap.  And they stand to make a LOT of money (esp percentage wise) on selling their AS8 at $14-15k per point.  

Once the profit taking has stopped (if it does, of course...), then the book will again be harder to find.  And will continue to increase.

Sensation 1 is not being seen because people are not willing to sell at $6k per point, which is what I have seen lately.  As the price goes up to $8-10k per point, these books will start showing up as well.

i bought one at $8k per point a couple of months ago.  Seller didn't feel inclined at current prices.  Thought $8k per point was a good sell level.  And I took it.  Because I think Sensation 1 should at least be selling at WW1 levels ($10k per point).

17 minutes ago, Doc67 said:

I think what we have happening in the market right now for AS8 is a typical "profit taking cycle".  

Most people bought these cheap.  And they stand to make a LOT of money (esp percentage wise) on selling their AS8 at $14-15k per point.  

Once the profit taking has stopped (if it does, of course...), then the book will again be harder to find.  And will continue to increase.

Sensation 1 is not being seen because people are not willing to sell at $6k per point, which is what I have seen lately.  As the price goes up to $8-10k per point, these books will start showing up as well.

i bought one at $8k per point a couple of months ago.  Seller didn't feel inclined at current prices.  Thought $8k per point was a good sell level.  And I took it.  Because I think Sensation 1 should at least be selling at WW1 levels ($10k per point).

I think your data is off. WW 1 sells about 8k a point. I've been getting 10-12k a point for sensation 1 for over a year. 

Only one ugly 3.0 had sold for 18k 

but the market had been 10+ for a while. WW 1 has been 7-8k

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

I think your data is off. WW 1 sells about 8k a point. I've been getting 10-12k a point for sensation 1 for over a year. 

Still a newbie here.  So, I am probably off.  I just utilize what I see sell publicly and what is offered to me.

ComicLink sold a 5.0 Cr/Ow SC1 for $30k in the past 6 months or so.  ComicConnect had a SC 1 cgc 1.8 ow/wh sell for $12k in their last auction.  They had a WW1 cgc 1.0 sell for a little over $10k.  I agree that I have been seeing the higher WW1s go for $8k per point.  But the lower grades have been selling for $10k per point publicly pretty consistently.

But, given that you are getting $10-12k per point on the SC1 then I am feeling pretty good about my new 5.0 at $40k that I have coming my way soon.   I honestly thought that I was paying 33% over FMV.  ???

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Which of the 3 books (AS 8, Sen 1, WW 1) are you getting the most requests for? You need the trilogy to complete any true WW collection    but I'm curious which of the 3 seems to get the most attention currently.