• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what is the worst comic "investment" you ever made?

148 posts in this topic

I bought about 50 copies of Shazam #1 20 cents each. Thought it would be the next big thing after not being published for so long. Could not sell them because everyone else had the same idea doh!

That's when I learned to just buy what I like and hope it goes up or stays at the price I bought it at.

BTW.....are those Shazam's worth much today?

They are going for a $1000 a piece. :baiting:

I NEVER buy comics for investment purposes and only buy comics for pure

enjoyment.

I just received some heart breaking news regarding some books last night

and I'm getting tired of all the disappointments in either some of the books

I receive, postal damage or the people involved. After paying off some

members I owe I'm taking a long break or just packing it in for good.

I hope and pray this passes and just wish one day would go by without me

thinking about this collection I cherished that I sold this spring during

a major money crisis.

I just feel like a fool who has lost their best friend. :(

At least my collection went to a nice guy. (shrug)

fay

enjoyment.

I just received some heart breaking news regrading some books last night

a major money crisis.

fay

Sorry to hear this, Fay. I hope you'll stick around the boards and not give up on the hobby totally.

Casey

enjoyment.

I just received some heart breaking news regrading some books last night

a major money crisis.

fay

I'm sorry that you are feeling down Fay! I hope you don't leave the hobby for good. I have started over for the 3rd time. Maybe when finances are better, you can start back collecting again. :wishluck: It would be a big loss to these boards with you gone. You are certainly a very kind person, and I enjoy reading your posts.

Mike

I bought about 50 copies of Shazam #1 20 cents each. Thought it would be the next big thing after not being published for so long. Could not sell them because everyone else had the same idea doh!

That's when I learned to just buy what I like and hope it goes up or stays at the price I bought it at.

Slab them :baiting:

Slab them :baiting:

Dumped them years ago.........

I wasn't collecting during the speculative/variant phase of the early 90's so I missed much of that. I never bought multiple copies of anything but I did think Dazzler #1 and Omega Men #1 was going to be big. lol

Worst investment might be a Conan #3 I bought. It appeared to be a 9.0 to me and I paid accordingly. I submitted it only to have it come back PLOD 7.0

Talk about crushed.

Sure-- if they're 9.9 or higher.

Worst buy? It always seems like I always buy through emotion and sell out of need, so I always end up on the short end.

The biggest waste of money I have is probably the full run of Tomb Raider's, which includes ALL of the 300 cover variants. The only redeeming factor is some of the covers are easy on the eyes.

10 copies of Dazzler #1 back in the early 80s...ouch! doh!

No, you did good. I bought 200 copies and still have most of them. Also bought multiples of Marvel's Star Trek 1, 2 and 3. Thinking I have about 50 copies of each. On the plus side, I was able to flip my 50 copies of Peter Parker #1 and 50 copies of X-Men 137 for $3 bucks a piece several months after I bought those. HIndsight kinda' tells me I shoulda' hung on to those as they seem to sell for a lot more than Dazzler or Treks.

I wasn't collecting during the speculative/variant phase of the early 90's so I missed much of that.

I stopped collecting comics in the late 80s or early 90s or so right after the multiple different covers of spider-man 1 and legends of the dark knight came out (pink is the best! no wait.. blue...)

So... I have no idea what you guys are talking about when you say variant or valiant or whatever it is... or you starting talking about image comics... they were popular for a while?!??!

Started collecting off and on from 98 to 01... and since 01 to present I've been collecting pretty frugally... haven't bought a modern in over 15 or so years though.

As far as speculating, I've mentioned it before...

In 98 when I got back in, I bought a hulk 181, I found out years later it was missing the stamp.

I sold it about a year ago for pretty much what I paid for it... (loss was due to exchange rate change)

In 98 I also loaded up on about 5 or 6 star wars 1s. They have pretty much held their value and thats about it. No significant losses to report overall when it comes to my collecting habits... for comics atleast...

Thank God I was only 12 years old in 1990 and didn't have much spending money.

The most I ever bought of 1 book is X-Force 1. I talked my dad into buying 10 copies. Still have them and will never sell them, even if I could get $10 a book. I cherish that day when my dad went with me into the Comic Shop and helped me pick out those X-Force books.

Thank God I was only 12 years old in 1990 and didn't have much spending money.

The most I ever bought of 1 book is X-Force 1. I talked my dad into buying 10 copies. Still have them and will never sell them, even if I could get $10 a book. I cherish that day when my dad went with me into the Comic Shop and helped me pick out those X-Force books.

I'll give you $11 each for them. :baiting::takeit:

25 copies of Omega Men #1. Has a series ever started off so well, to then plummet in quality so quickly? :frustrated:

I agree. I never speculated on the book, but I thought the first few issues were great, and then WTF?

Didn't Camelot 3000 come out around the same time. I think that was my first "investment" as I bought 2 copies of #1.

25 copies of Omega Men #1. Has a series ever started off so well, to then plummet in quality so quickly? :frustrated:

I agree. I never speculated on the book, but I thought the first few issues were great, and then WTF?

Didn't Camelot 3000 come out around the same time. I think that was my first "investment" as I bought 2 copies of #1.

I remember Chuck heavily promoting Camelot 3000 in their monthly catalogs. The first issue was going for $6 after about 3 months. So I bought all 12 of them, I probably had 6 copies of some of the issues. Then it quickly fell apart.

Is it any wonder? What kid in the age of Pac-Man wanted to read about King Arthur? :screwy:

But it had surprising good art as I recall.