• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Well done BS auction.....I think

15 posts in this topic

That's a scammer if I've ever seen one. Anyone with the cash to purchase those books surely know what they're worth and would list them individually.

Totally agree. Now that I look closer it appears they are being held hostage in some basement in Jersey.

why are you guys being so cynical - i would bet just as easily he got contacted by some one, they worked out a deal on the spot and he pulled the auction. Sometimes when people need money they do things out of haste and it might look messy - just my thought on it, have not idea what the real deal is/was

These boards have provided ample evidence of auction after auction that is not legit and this one fits a pattern similar to those. A fake auction with as many quality books as this one happens 10 times as often as a legit one.

I agree that it looks suspicious on the face of it, however, the seller states upfront:

"Please don't wait until the last minute to bid on this auction as I am willing to accept serious offers and may close the auction early if the price is right."

He also meticulously listed the certification numbers of every book - whazzup with that aspect of the the theory?

His feed back (10) is all pos, and has him as a buyer in all of those point scores

This smacks of one of those "too good to be true" episodes suspicious minds minds have, like the time the original cover art to Justice League #21 (1963) showed up on eBay for $18K and it sat for hours before some one pulled the trigger

looks more like a guy who felt a supreme need for quick bucks anf blew the visuals

then again, maybe these were stolen and that is why he needed to make the goods look fuzzy

looks like an investment assortment, to me

who lives in Phoeniz with fire power like this: Timelys, key Baker & Frazetta, some nice EC ?

These boards have provided ample evidence of auction after auction that is not legit and this one fits a pattern similar to those. A fake auction with as many quality books as this one happens 10 times as often as a legit one.

I tried to sell all 100+ CGC certified Spideys in one auction before... :shrug:

It didn't meet reserve. My situation: Wife said: Sell! Sell! Sell!

Granted, silver and bronze age Spideys don't hold a candle to this material.

That Cap 74 is a PGX holder, when they were still CGG. The large Grade number with the old style proves it's not an old CGC.

I certainly believed this was a fake but a pretty good one until it's examined a little. Only 10 items were bought by the seller to get a basic feedback score that won't instantly scare people. All the items were bought in March and April so the items bought cannot be easily seen on the feedback page. BUT if you search Ebay with the transaction number you can still find them. I only checked a few and they were Hellboys and some other modern comics, all for under $10.

Starting this kind of auction at $0.99 is also clearly suspicious since the value is in the tens of thousands. He couldn't possibly be so cheap as to want to save the $4.60 additional that Ebay would charge to post a reasonable starting bid for such a collection.

Multiple mistakes were also made with the comics being sold. Captain America Comics #22 is in a 5.5 PGX holder in the bottom right of the picture (next to the All Winners) and it's not listed anywhere in the ad. Captain America #27 is listed as being PGX 5.5 but the picture clearly shows a PGX 5.0. CA #37 is listed as PGX 4.5 and the picture shows a PGX 4.0. CA #47 is listed as PGX 6.5 and it's a 6.0. CA #65 is listed as PGX 6.5 and it's 6.0. Blonde Phantom is listed as PGX 8.5 but is clearly 8.0, etc.

These could, if you're being generous, be lack of attention when typing but the obvious fraud is in the listings for All Select #2 (listed as PGX 7.0), Captain America Comics #28 (listed as PGX 6.0), Young Allies #4 (listed as PGX 6.0) and Young Allies #1 (listed as PGX 6.5). All are obviously in poly bags with backboards and not graded by PGX as advertised. The Captain America is even blatantly laying on top of the Crime Suspenstories in the upper left part of the group, making it dramatically obvious that it's not slabbed.

Thanks for starting this post, it sure kept me entertained for the last hour or so! :grin::insane:

If he REALLY needed quick bucks he could call Metropolis (or a couple of others in the OPG), fedex this stuff to them next day on Metro's fedex account #, and they could wire him the money ASAP once they sent out feelers to confirm that this isn't a stolen collection. Seems a lot faster than an ebay auction and anyone with $100K++++++ in slabbed books would know this. Metropolis wants to make a profit, but I have to imagine he'd do a lot better with them if he's legit that through some fake looking ebay auction or hoping someone in the Southwest will call him and bring over a suitcas of cash.

Where he got the photo, I dunno. Flee Maquette could probably put that together in 10 minutes.

If they're stolen it isn't "legit". But then again, we would have heard about a heist this big, no??