• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

collecting modern cgc

13 posts in this topic

hi everyone..iam new to the forum and was wondering if collecting certain modern cgc would be a good investment and if so what to start buying

thank you

Most people will agree that current Modern books (as in, books that are less than a year old),

have a "newness factor" that seems to increase the value on some issues while they are "new".

Time tends to wear away at the "newness factor" and what was ONCE valuable,

can fall out of favor and be a near worthless item.

Except for extreme examples, nearly all "new comics" will lose value.

For CGC graded books, there's farther to fall... since they generally cost more.

As a result, you are probably much safer "investing" in comics which are older,

which do not have any "newness factor", and which have proven that they can stand up

as decent collectibles years later.

These books may still be "Modern", since there are around 15 years of "Moderns" out there,

but they aren't what you would find on the shelf as new issues.

Books that are 5, 10, or 15 years old have had a chance to "settle",

and tend to show more clearly what books matter and what books don't.

People disagree on what to collect, much less what to invest in...

but if you only buy what you like, you'll never own something you don't.

(thumbs u

In general, no. Comics values are driven by condition (once you get past the actual book), and with CGC the condition is a known quantity. The driving force behind CGC books is population in a given condition. For modern, especially 1990-forward, the target collector grade is 9.8, and there is no shortage of material in that condition for all but the most limited issues. You might have the only 9.8 Smegman #16 today, but tomorrow there might be 50. To make money on CGC books, you want to buy raw, get it slabbed as a 9.8, then sell that. But even then, it has to be something people want. Ebay is littered with 9.8 books that sell for less than it cost to slab them, or go unsold.

thank you guys..what about copper age cgc..sorry i know this is not the right forum but i thought i would ask

Depends on what price you pay and what you think the catalyst for growth will be...

Movies are good... there's another Hellboy planned, another Sin City...

those first appearances are Copper/Modern, and if you can pick them up

for prices on the low end of the historical scale, you'd probably be doing well.

www.GPAnalysis.com is the source of the "historical price scale".

There's a "right time" and a "wrong time" to buy books related to movies...

Amazing Spider-man #300 was selling for a lot more just before Spider-man 3

than it was soon after... if you bought early and sold now, you'd lose.

Anytime you pay too much, though, it probably doesn't matter what happens,

because you're already in the red as soon as you buy the book.

You have to wait for the price to rise enough to "break even",

and then keep rising enough for "profit". Dangerous game.

If you try to play the "investment game", you're likely to lose.

After all, if a book was a really great investment, it wouldn't be for sale. hm

Buy what you like, then you'll never own something you don't. :foryou:

thank you guys..what about copper age cgc..sorry i know this is not the right forum but i thought i would ask

Depends on what price you pay and what you think the catalyst for growth will be...

Movies are good... there's another Hellboy planned, another Sin City...

those first appearances are Copper/Modern, and if you can pick them up

for prices on the low end of the historical scale, you'd probably be doing well.

www.GPAnalysis.com is the source of the "historical price scale".

There's a "right time" and a "wrong time" to buy books related to movies...

Amazing Spider-man #300 was selling for a lot more just before Spider-man 3

than it was soon after... if you bought early and sold now, you'd lose.

Anytime you pay too much, though, it probably doesn't matter what happens,

because you're already in the red as soon as you buy the book.

You have to wait for the price to rise enough to "break even",

and then keep rising enough for "profit". Dangerous game.

If you try to play the "investment game", you're likely to lose.

After all, if a book was a really great investment, it wouldn't be for sale. hm

Buy what you like, then you'll never own something you don't. :foryou:

Good advice. (thumbs u

All the above is exactly how I feel as well, and it's all true.

For "investing", you're much better off going with key issues of Golden, Silver, or Bronze Age books.

For yourself, I can't stress enough: buy what you like, and you'll always be happy.

I recently acquired a new state of mind a couple of weeks back:

Want what you have.

There are a few cases of moderns being worth the grade. Especially Ultimate Spider-man #1 (regular, variant, and white variant). But as someone mentioned, 9.8 is the minimum and not easy to guarantee.

Some Coppers have a lot of potential. If you can buy raw buy for cheap and in high grade, it's worth it (which pretty much goes for any comic age). Only certain books though. There are a lot of independent coppers that have lower print runs. Even when found, they are in poor shape (VF at best). If it's a desirable issue, then it would be worth grading. Albedo 2 & early TMNTs are a prime example. Watchmen has been picking up (TONS of issues but not necessarily high grade) . Batman: Return of the Dark Knight.

As many mentioned, go with something you enjoy. Otherwise, you'll be looking at something you hate in a plastic slab.

Pat

I'm a copper guy as I grew up in the 80's and was born late 70's. I have always bought (Invested if you will) in comics that I read as a child. My luck favors me in that I grew up reading Amazing Spider-Man which is pretty much a blue chip stock in the comic world. I have purchased and sold more than 150 CGC 9.8 and 9.6 amazing spider-man and about 50 +++ other CGC books that I have sold. The X-Men retained their value upon selling and the Amazing spider-man did nothing but make me money. I bought a copy of ASM219 cgc 9.8 for $300USD and sold it for $600.00USD about 3 months later. A rare book in high grade. Also purchased the 1st Hobgoblin in CGC 9.8 ASM238 for 390USD and resold it for a whopping 790USD. Recently I have gotten into collecting and am going for a run from ASM201-300 so have cooled on the selling but I can tell you from experience. If you buy spidey 20++ year old high graded CGC slabs, you can always move them if necessary and most of the time it will be at a profit. You have to know the market though and not pay too much on point of sale.

My recommendation would be to figure out what you want to start collecting or investing in then do some research. For instance go into ebay and click on the advanced search. Type in the title of comic you plan to start buying then click the (Completed Listings) option and see what the last month's sales have brought for that title.

In any case best of luck to you in whatever way you decide to shoot!

BEST,

Richard

thank you richard

Hey your welcome.

To be honest I don't think I'd normally go that deep into how to invest or what to buy. But I think your Spider-Man (changing Black to Red) icon appealed to me and you must like spidey so thought I'd litter some info to ya.Send me a PM if you want to talk ASM books as I'll be getting about 20 or so back from Doug at Pedigree who got some graded for me from my personal collection and if I'm not getting them SS'd I will be selling a bunch of them as i already have copies in my collection.

Richard