• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What OA can you get for $300

97 posts in this topic

Great thread. Here are a few pieces that I got for less than $300.00

Hey, the name of this thread is "What OA can you get for $300", not "What OA could you have gotten for $300". :baiting:

Can you really get a Bagley ASM splash or Lim Silver Surfer splash for $300 these days? (shrug)

Hey, the name of this thread is "What OA can you get for $300", not "What OA could you have gotten for $300". :baiting:

Can you really get a Bagley ASM splash or Lim Silver Surfer splash for $300 these days? (shrug)

Yes, I got mine (Lim Surfer Splash) for a fraction of 300 only a few months ago.

Malvin

Yes, I got mine (Lim Surfer Splash) for a fraction of 300 only a few months ago.

Malvin

A few months ago is an eternity in this market. meh:baiting:

Most of the great (IMHO) pieces in my collection that are under $300 you could still get in today's market. You just have to be patient and lucky.

Malvin

After I posted those images I realized that a few were purchased awhile back. Heck I paid all of twenty dollars for the Bagley splash direct from Mark.

The Hulk page and the first Silver Surfer splash were both purchased this year for less than $300.00

You could pick up the Splash from Avengers #1 and still have $298 left...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1847997&page=1&fpart=1

Granted, that was stolen goods, so you probably wouldn't keep it long, but if you're willing to patient and keep looking, you can find lots of amazing stuff for <$300.

I have yet to break the $200 barrier for a page and am really proud of my small collection so far. Here are a few less conventional ways to get some great art for $300ish:

First up, I bought all of the known remaining original full-process color pages (29 of 47) from Marvel Graphic Novel 4: The New Mutants from Fanfare for right around $300. These include first panel appearances of pretty much all the New Mutants and I consider it a steal! Each page is painted over a production sized photostat of the linework on matte photo paper. As opposed to color guides, where colors are there just to give the separator an idea of what colors to choose, these pages were photographed directly for the printed book. Here are a few of the pages:

NMGN-Pg04.jpg NMGN-Pg09.jpg NMGN-Pg14.jpg NMGN-Pg20.jpg NMGN-Pg44.jpg

See the rest at My CAF Gallery. Tom at Fanfare has lots of color art pages (including some of Kirby's art) for very reasonable prices. While it's debatable if color guides are "original art" or more "production art", full process pages are definitely art in my opinion and are a steal at color guide prices ($10ish a page).

Another way to get great art is to look for dynamic pages from hot new artists featuring relatively new characters. I really wanted a John Cassaday Astonishing X-Men page, but found that even the heavy panel pages with a hint of Wolverine went for way more than my budget allowed. I went for a great page featuring the first use of powers of one of my favorite new characters, Armor, that only cost $200 from Albert Moy. Also below is a nice splash page (and the first full appearance) of one of my favorite supporting characters from Invincible, the Shapesmith! If memory serves me correct, this was right around $100 or maybe a little more.

AXM_Iss04p12.jpg Invincible32pg10.jpg

Finally, how about some cover recreations from a talented CAF member? I've been really happy with my experience working with the very talented Larry Jones. I picked up the first four pieces below off of eBay and then commissioned Larry to recreate three more covers on special for a total just a little over $300. The covers I commissioned were X-Men #1, X-Men #49, and a children's book cover for my wife. The three commissions are arriving on Monday, and I'm super excited to see the results. All of these pieces are 11x17.

Jones-Spirit22.jpg Jones-Spirit04.jpg Jones-LM13jpg.jpg Jones-LMTPB3.jpg X-Men%201.gif

Anyway, hope this gave you a few different ideas on spending $300 for art that's IMHO great!

-Bob

I'm not computer savvy enough to have figured out how to have the actual pictures show up on the page, but here are a few links for great pages under $300.

The absolute best deal I have gotten so far was by contacting Rick Remender directly and inquiring about OA from The Last Christmas (I had never seen any pages floating around). He took extremely good care of me.

Both of these pages were $250 a piece...

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Page=1&Order=Date&Piece=292004&GSub=44769&GCat=0&UCat=0

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Page=1&Order=Date&Piece=292003&GSub=44769&GCat=0&UCat=0

He told me he was going to throw something extra in as a thank you for my service. I expected a sketch or something. I was shocked when I pulled this out of the package:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=291999&GSub=44769

I know some of you don't like the modern stuff, but I love it (especially zombie stuff). Rick Remender is a hell of a guy.

And here's an awesome Dark Tower page (one of a few I got at this price) that was $250 from Albert Moy:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Page=1&Order=Date&Piece=291257&GSub=44770&GCat=0&UCat=0

Well, you can get some pretty sweet deals on OA if you're not concerned with 1st appearance or high profile key books. Everyone knows my collecting theme, just picked up these three pages for $40 each. (damn OA addiction)

SadSack72pg1-1.jpg

SadSack72pg46-1.jpg

SadSack73-1.jpg

And for $300 picked up this sweet Heath Our Fighting Forces #28 page

OFF28full.jpg

I wish I could type more accurately. Of course, I meant to type

Now that's funny!!!!

Which I feel has lost some of its verve with this second go around :-(

You could have used the edit button to fix an no one would have known

Most non-early years TMNT art can be found very reasonably...here's one of my recent pickups: Raph fighting Pimiko by Frank Fosco from Image Comics...

c299_1.jpg

And the next page... d0f9_12.jpg