• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

media mail! comics not a book or mag?

30 posts in this topic

i recently had a person ship me my comic (single) by usps media mail. i had gotin a pink slip saying postage due. i went in to find out what was going on and they presented me with a package that read"opened by usps" on front. and i was told that comic BOOKS were not able to be sent media mail and that i owed for the rest. so i paid and left. then i read on the usps site what media mail is:

"Media Mail is used for books, film, manuscripts, printed music, printed test materials, sound recordings, play scripts, printed educational charts, loose-leaf pages and binders consisting of medical information, videotapes, and computer-recorded media like CDs and diskettes. Media Mail cannot contain advertising.

The maximum size is 108 inches in combined length and distance around the thickest part.

Mark each package "Media Mail" in the postage area."

http://www.usps.com/rates/media-mail-rates.htm

the package was as thick as a comic BOOK and they said they opened to check. but isnt that against the law if the package wasnt ticking nor did a drug dog sniff up on it to open the package?

anything shipped via USPS is subject to a search of the contents, regardless of reason.

Don't think that's true - can anyone confirm? It's true for any of the restricted services like BPM and MM, but probably not 1st class or PM. Right?

It certainly can't be true for Registered mail.

Anyway - was the book a TPB or a comic with advertising? You can't be mad at them for opening media mail, but if it was a TPB with no ads then they were incorrect. You should have showed them there were no ads in the book. There is even an exception for an in-house ad or two, like the publisher promoting its own books.

Officially, though, comics with ads do not qualify for media. BPM is the "correct" way. I'm pretty surprised they bothered to check a thin envelope - they usually check the heavy boxes. Clearly too much time on their hands.

anything shipped via USPS is subject to a search of the contents, regardless of reason.

That's not right... only MM and BPM can be searched without a warrant. However, UPS, FedEx, etc. can search any package.

ok but why do i have to pay more to get? isnt comic media?

Nope there are ads. media has no ads.

Sure it does. You ever see a preview for a movie on a videotape? That's an add.

But they can't check that easily, so you are home free on DVDs and video tapes.

Certain ads are allowable... house ads (like what you find on the last page of some paperbacks) for instance are okay.

That's not right... only MM and BPM can be searched without a warrant. However, UPS, FedEx, etc. can search any package.

My bad, I intended to say MM can be searched.

i send priorety myself and nothing more,unless they want overnight then thats it.

heck even in prisons the inmates have privacy ! the cops cant search outgoing mail.

i just felt that if they were checking for the reason stated they could have waited for it to get to my post office then have me open it so they knew! makes you wonder what else gets opened by them and why some packages end up missing :(

I have first hand experience with this as well. The reason you have to pay is because comics do not qualify for the media mail rates. Thus, you're paying to make up for basically a parcel rate instead of the media mail rate.

Take a chance like I did:

My last submission to CGC on June 27 included 140+ comics; I used one of CGC's own strong boxes (20 lbs appx). 1st PO asked what was inside, I said journals, tapes, comic books, manuscripts...ooops! It slipped out. The lady acted like there was a bomb in the box.

I simply drove to the next one. 2nd PO asked what was inside. "Books, just lotsa books." What kind of books? "Paperbacks. Mostly Louis LaMour & Harlequin romance novels." Done & done!

Saved over $30 & the package arrived in the same amount of time as Priority -5 days.

Screww you, PO (thumbs u

Rick

I find that if you wrap your comics in newpaper, secure them between sheets of cardboard, then wrap them in bubble wrap, the Post Office won't bother tearing it apart to catch you. Most of them know what a comic box looks like, so don't use them. New, professional looking boxes rarely get opened up. Lastly, build a positive relationship between you and your neighborhood Postal workers. Be friendly and get to know them. Even buy your favorite Postal workers Christmas gift cards. My local clerks all know what I am shipping, but never say a word. Likewise, the mail carriers all know what I am getting in the mail, but don't bother checking.

Take a chance like I did:

My last submission to CGC on June 27 included 140+ comics; I used one of CGC's own strong boxes (20 lbs appx). 1st PO asked what was inside, I said journals, tapes, comic books, manuscripts...ooops! It slipped out. The lady acted like there was a bomb in the box.

I simply drove to the next one. 2nd PO asked what was inside. "Books, just lotsa books." What kind of books? "Paperbacks. Mostly Louis LaMour & Harlequin romance novels." Done & done!

Saved over $30 & the package arrived in the same amount of time as Priority -5 days.

Screww you, PO (thumbs u

Rick

There's so many things wrong with this I won't even bother. If a person is determined to cheat, a person will.

I'll admit this is technically cheating.

But I feel the dis-qulification of comics with out-dated advertising is wrong & just another way for the PO (read gov't) to squeeze more money out of us.

So I'm okay with what I did.

Go ahead & judge away...Flame On. :flamed:

Rick