• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are Conventions still relevant?

20 posts in this topic

I have never been to a bigger show than the Wizard Boston show a few years ago so I love reading the con reports from SD and Chicago. They sound like a terrific time and I hope to attend some day.

But... are conventions (even SD and Chicago) really relevant for buying high quality GA comics?

From the attendee and dealer reports it doesn't look like many nice books change hands at the cons (Mr Shomburg's fine Cap 1 an exception, of course).

It looks like small potatoes compared with the volume and quality that pass through summer auctions at Heritage and Comiclink.

Are the cons still relevant for buying/selling or are they simply social events with an ocasional purchase thrown in?

In reading the various convention threads, it seems to me that a lot of good deals are made or consumated at the conventions.

I know that when buying Silver, the conventions cannot be beat for deals.

Of course, if one has a short want list, there is bound to be some frustration.

My 12¢

If one wants to check under the hood and kick the tires before making purchase, then the shows are best for that

me, these days, i do way more business via internet and mail than comic shows

San Diego is more simply gathering of the tribes - which, in the case of the SD 800 lb gorilla, is a bit overwhelming to the novice

now, as far as smaller regionals go, they are hit and miss

Yeah if your looking for a deal. Booths on saturday and sunday are cheap! They can be really helpful and In my Experiences, if you buy expensive book(s) they can get your info and want list and if they recieve one of the books you need they can call you.

Wow, I feel the complete opposite. 99.999% of the silver I see at shows can be found in better condition and for less money on eBay and these boards. I can think of dozens and dozens of examples. If you are buying silver at show, chances are you could do a LOT better elsewhere.

Wow, I feel the complete opposite. 99.999% of the silver I see at shows can be found in better condition and for less money on eBay and these boards. I can think of dozens and dozens of examples. If you are buying silver at show, chances are you could do a LOT better elsewhere.

The only place I've done better buying raw silver is on the boards! :headbang: Give it up for the boards!!!!!

All the regional or big comic-cons are still relevant only if you can get in during dealer set up. After that, you only get Harley's scraps. Else look for some dealer bumbling in late, and scoop all the good stuff from his wall books (: box first.

At San Diego this year I sold a number of key books. Multiple Superman 1s, a Tales of Suspense 39 CGC 9.2 and a number of other big keys. My average sale was about $10,000. At the show there was also a Marvel mystery 3 in CGC 9.0 that sold, a Sensation Comics 1 in CGC 9.4 that sold and a number of others. I think there are plenty of big time books that change hands at conventions that you might not see on eBay or Heritage.

I have never been to a bigger show than the Wizard Boston show a few years ago so I love reading the con reports from SD and Chicago. They sound like a terrific time and I hope to attend some day.

But... are conventions (even SD and Chicago) really relevant for buying high quality GA comics?

From the attendee and dealer reports it doesn't look like many nice books change hands at the cons (Mr Shomburg's fine Cap 1 an exception, of course).

It looks like small potatoes compared with the volume and quality that pass through summer auctions at Heritage and Comiclink.

Are the cons still relevant for buying/selling or are they simply social events with an ocasional purchase thrown in?

example: i was looking at two books in ebay stores recently, the price of neither agreeable to me, and neither had "make an offer" buttons. but i knew from past experience that both dealers would be in c'town, and hoped the books would be on their wombats--they were. each time i passed their booths we had little negotiating exchanges, and, in the end, i bought both books at a price i liked.

bottom line, the show is good for books and friends, and since i love both, chicago is a red-letter weekend on my calendar year after year after......

Interesting. I tend to identify more with Bob Beerbohm who finds conventions allow him to "check under the hood and kick the tires before making [a] purchase". It must be a factor of what one is looking for. Good scans allow me to buy confidently over the Internet -- but how often is a buyer presented with good scans?

I often find myself thinking about how much more I would spend on high quality books if a vendor would send me a back cover scan so I could evaluate staple placement; distributer's ink; printer's creases; or cover wrap.

When it comes to just reading copies, it is my experience that way too many Internet vendors either fail to reply or get seemingly slighted with questions about completeness; staple attachment; spine splits; foxing, etc...

I understand that there is an issue with time invested in marketing a book and the amount of profit that can be achieved selling modest books -- but Internet marketing standards are marketing standards and sometimes they're too low in regard to customer service.

I am not a fan of the shot. I would just prefer to buy with more confidence rather than anticipation, coupled with worry, when one opens up the lastest package from the mail carrier.

Of course, it could be I am just too picky about the defects I can live with and the ones I can't...

My 12¢

Dennis

Of course, it could be I am just too picky about the defects I can live with and the ones I can't...

That's the one advantage of cons. If you are picky (and don't like to resell books) then seeing them in person is a huge deal. I am much more concerned with getting bang for my buck. I don't mind it when I buy a comic advertisted as a 9.4 that turns out to be an 8.0 when I only pay 5.0 market value.

I suppose "pure" collectors that have specific condition requests would prefer cons.

At San Diego this year I sold a number of key books. Multiple Superman 1s, a Tales of Suspense 39 CGC 9.2 and a number of other big keys. My average sale was about $10,000. At the show there was also a Marvel mystery 3 in CGC 9.0 that sold, a Sensation Comics 1 in CGC 9.4 that sold and a number of others. I think there are plenty of big time books that change hands at conventions that you might not see on eBay or Heritage.

Adam you don't count....you’re like a mad scientist when it comes to selling key books, like Beethoven with a piano!! (worship)

Who picked up that Sensation 1 9.4 from Torpedo? I didn't know it sold (shrug)

I don't know about "high quality," but for lower grade GA I have much better luck getting fair pricing on the internet. hm

I'm unsure about Golden Age comic buying at big regional conventions but my experience with bargain shopping for Bronze Age is a dismal failure. Every single time I've managed to find a much, much better deal through various online auction sites. I've done some shopping for Golden Age books and I've noticed a lowely Timely at 3.0 tend to start at $600+. I find that outrageous. I've ended up buying better graded copies at half that price.

I think if you're looking for a specific book, a convention can be tough. (I'm speaking purely of GA here.) The last 'con I went to, there were NO Magazine Enterprises Ghost Riders at ANY booth. That said, I had great luck purchasing random Boy Comics (which I love but was not looking for specifically.)

So, I guess my answer is that the internet, mail, and conventions are all equally necessary in filling those gaps. I think today's collector really has to know how to use all of those avenues to get the best deals. (And many times to even get a book at all.)

I think this really becomes even more key for rare books (or books rare in HG.)

-Rob-

I love conventions for browsing. Sometimes you just don't know what you want until it is in your hand.

This is a good point. Compare browsing on the Internet with browsing through long boxes.

Dennis

i find a LOT of stuff at comic shows - every show i go to - and i never go into any show with any preconceived notion of what i am looking got - i simply look for stuff i can pile up and work a discount i can live with from the seller.

That goes for San Diego as well - i picked up all kinds of stuff this year, as i have every year, some of which i have already sold to collector customer friends on my mailing lists.

Since i am not seeking 9 point something books from the other dealers at wholesale rates, i tend to come out OK on most of the deals i score.

i contemplated just going to Chicago this year for set up time, but realized i had enough stuff from San Diego as well as some comic collections on the ground in these parts which includes a 1950s collection of over 900 comicbooks with nary a super hero in the lot - lots of obscure stuff which i just love to present to my customers. I even got half a dozen issues i had never seen before.

That all said, conventions are relevant for fellowship communion with fellow collectors.

One can easily buy most any comic books you want without ever leaving your house. My steady eBay sales attest to that concept - i am so glad that Gary Dolgoff talked me into trying an eBay store in a serious way last December after i was crying the blues following a string of non-performing shows following last year's San Diego Comicon.