• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any love for the Date Stamp?

82 posts in this topic

I was curious besides trying to get a date stamp on your birthday is there anyone out there that loves them? I for one love seeing the date stamp on the book. I think it adds history to the book. Also there was a TEC 395 CGC 9.0 on ebay with a date stamp I was watching and was planning on bidding on specificly due to the date stamp, but it appears the seller got an offer to buy off ebay and took it. Was that any member on here that bought it?

Date stamps don't bother me depending on how big they are and where

they're located.

I remember seeing a very cool date stamp in a thread that I can't seem to

find and it was a guy putting together a Batman run # 1 to # 50 and he was

from Alberta, Canada.

The thread was a running story about his purchases and where he got them

and I think he was just sort of okay with this one date stamp on an early issue.

Someone posts, "Dude, that date stamp is the day after Pearl Harbour."

I thought that was a pretty big piece of history to have on your book and

good to see comics still were delivered the following Monday after the Day

of Infamy.

Never really thought about it. I have no aversion to the date stamp, nor do I particulary like to see it. I do like the idea of chasing books by date stamp/birthday. This thread just shows the many variances in tastes there are in this hobby.

I have lots of SA Marvels with date stamps. I think its cool to look at a book and realize it was printed in 1963 (9 years before I was born).

I'm not crazy about them and I never understood why CGC did not deduct points for them. Yes, they are "part of the history of the book", but as far as I am concerned, if there are clean copies that exist with no date stamp, then any copy with a date stamp should be considered to have a defect.

But at least they are better than hand written dates.... yuck.

I actually like small, unobtrusive date stamps and knowing the exact day a book was placed on the stand is very cool IMO. Handwritten is okay with me as long as it is neat and unobtrusive.

This 8/8 doesn't bother me at all. :luhv:

FF1post-restosmall.jpg

I prefer to stay away from large grease pencil arrival dates.

any dating on the book doesn't bother me at all. it's part of the provenance in my eyes. if you want to sell me a structural nm copy for a vf price because of a big ole grease pencil then by all means

I actually have to dig up the long post I made on date stamps....because I changed servers and the links to the images in the thread are gone. I'll do that in the next day or two.

:foryou: