• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tradeoffs in MID grade slab for HULK # 1 key

18 posts in this topic

I apologize as I am sure this kind of discussion has been brought up before, but I wanted to give you a couple of specific slab scenarios.

These two slabs are up for auction right now on the web. In one example there is a rather nice solid CGC 5.0 w/ cream to off-white. But in the other example we see a very sweet high quality overall conditioned comic with incredible white pages, but because of some glaring chipping and a significant wear spot, it gets an overall CGC 6.0.

So what would you say from just a pure preference perspective?? What would be more liquid from a selling point of view and desirable as a buyer/collector.

Would you rather have a solid mid grade range slab of a key like this with no spine roll and average well but overall pretty solid?? Or something that could very well grade significantly higher, but because of one major glaring flaw(s) gets bumped down 10 or 20% on the overall assigned grade??

Thanks

43611-RAD7D41D2007821_11954.jpg.4befde66ba05ca27d623e455b54a22f2.jpg

43612-phpThumb.jpg.13c638f5aa8de7993bba369066652d4b.jpg

Chuck, I'll take door # 1 (6.0) :headbang:

You have good instincts, because it actually turns out that the seller for the CGC 6.0 is asking a few hundred bucks less than the seller on the CGC 5.0. I think its a mixture of possible under pricing for the chipping vs asking a premium on the 5.0 to encourage bidding interaction between prospect and seller.

That's a tough call.

I liked that 5.0 until I saw the crushed bottom spine corner.

Both have annoying problems.

I'd hold out for a better Fine than either of these.

(thumbs u

I'd take the 5.0. It's just beyond me how CGC can grade that first one a 6.0. THERE ARE PIECES MISSING ON THE COVER!! rantrant

I realize it's a production related flaw, but still. I mean, a DC would never get a pass with a bunch of pieces missing off the cover.

And the issue has other flaws: some spine stress lines, creasing along the bottom, and a chip out of the upper left corner.

That's a tough call.

I liked that 5.0 until I saw the crushed bottom spine corner.

Both have annoying problems.

I'd hold out for a better Fine than either of these.

(thumbs u

Good point. Maybe like this one:

I like this one the best.

I can take a chip or two on the marvels and even moreso the prequel to chipping with some tears there at the right. But when the whole edge is affected I just refuse to give it a Fine or better grade. One of the biggest weaknesses of CGC grading IMO, and generally priced accordingly as well. Take the 5.0 at the same price.

The CRM/OW pages would keep me away. Visiually the 5.0 looks better but that impact to the bottom of the spine is major damage. Who knows what the back of the book looks like as well. Many books have a 8.0 or better back cover and that bumps the overall grade up as well.

Personally I would take the 6.0 with white pages even with the Marvel chipping.

The CRM/OW pages would keep me away. Visiually the 5.0 looks better but that impact to the bottom of the spine is major damage. Who knows what the back of the book looks like as well. Many books have a 8.0 or better back cover and that bumps the overall grade up as well.

Personally I would take the 6.0 with white pages even with the Marvel chipping.

my problem with the 6.0 is that with the dark blue cover, the white pages just make the Marvel Chipping look all the more uglier............ :sick:

i like the look of both 5.0's with the second one looking even better, albeit with a scan that could be hiding a lot.