• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Miller vs. Moore

Miller vs. Moore - Over their career, who has a better body of work?   

273 members have voted

1. 1. Miller vs. Moore - Over their career, who has a better body of work?

50 posts in this topic

Moore's Miracleman is absolutely superior to anything I have read. I wish more people read it. I like it better than Watchmen only because it is a cape story unlike Watchmen. Watchmen is a fine story as well. Miller does manly bravado like no other. Good action and with great pacing. But its Moore for me as far as comics and Miller if we are talking works turned into movies.

miller is great, .......BUT...hes never done anything to touch KILLING JOKE, the last superman story or WATCHMEN

I know I personally think both guys are somewhat over-rated. I don't deny both are talented. And I am definitely not saying they are a couple of hacks. I will say I think it is considerably easier to write a short story as opposed to an extended run on a book while maintaining quality.

What I am saying is that The Last Superman Story would be an incredibly easy story to write. And so would a story in which the Joker cripples Batgirl. Moore did a pretty good job with the story, but I find some of the stuff like when Batman and Joker are laughing together at the end of the story against the character of Batman. Watchmen is a very good, pretty innovative, based on the Golden Age of comics. League.....eh, not my favorite.

Miller's work on Daredevil brought a new style of storytelling to comics, both in his art and story. Batman Dark Knight was pretty amazing and probably one of the best stories ever in comics. Again, I am not sure how tough it would be to write this story though. Sin City is groundbreaking in comics, though a fairly simplistic read and story. Crime noir is not new at all, but he really did bring alot of it to comics.

I think alot of people (myself included) sour on Miller based alot on his later stuff like Dark Knight 2, All Star Batman, etc.

If you judge each by his best work (Watchmen and Dark Knight), this would be a very tough call. I would probably give a slight edge to Miller based not only on his writing, but his art work.

I think Miller's high point (as a writer) is the Born Again arc in Daredevil.

Moore's would be either Watchmen or Miracleman.

On any given day, I could pick any 1 of those 3 as the best super-hero extended storyline of all time.

But Moore gets the nod overall for the complete body of work.

On any given day, I could pick any 1 of those 3 as the best super-hero extended storyline of all time.

Yep. And don't forget Moore's influence on the Vertigo line. (thumbs u

Yep. And don't forget Moore's influence on the Vertigo line. (thumbs u

Yes yes I almost forgot about has Swampthing. That was also very good :cloud9:

I was around 10 when Miller began on Daredevil, infact the first issue I bought off the stands of his was DD 159 the green water cover spoke to me with out even knowing who or what Frank Miller was or did! That run was breathtaking for me, maybe not the best soryline ever, but certainly very good. What stuck with me was the change in style and or storytelling. I was hooked! Just like that I bought DD every month, at this time in my comics carear, that had never happened, at least untill I finally picked up a byrne/clarimont x-men! The 20-30 Frank Miller issues in the DD run are some of the best use of characters I have ever read, along with breath taking new style and a darkness.

I then remember when the Wolverine Series came out, I was again hooked, waiting and waiting for each issue to arrive. Frank Miller made it ok for a good guy to be a little homicidale, which when all you do is fight crazy's is not all bad. Never cared for his art to much other than the Wolverine Mini-series covers, but loved his stories.

I really liked Alan Moore's swampthings, and of course Killing Joke, but by this time my mind had already been opened by Miller, thus my vote goes to him.

Paul

I was around 10 when Miller began on Daredevil, infact the first issue I bought off the stands of his was DD 159 the green water cover spoke to me with out even knowing who or what Frank Miller was or did! That run was breathtaking for me, maybe not the best soryline ever, but certainly very good. What stuck with me was the change in style and or storytelling. I was hooked! Just like that I bought DD every month, at this time in my comics carear, that had never happened, at least untill I finally picked up a byrne/clarimont x-men! The 20-30 Frank Miller issues in the DD run are some of the best use of characters I have ever read, along with breath taking new style and a darkness.

I then remember when the Wolverine Series came out, I was again hooked, waiting and waiting for each issue to arrive. Frank Miller made it ok for a good guy to be a little homicidale, which when all you do is fight crazy's is not all bad. Never cared for his art to much other than the Wolverine Mini-series covers, but loved his stories.

I really liked Alan Moore's swampthings, and of course Killing Joke, but by this time my mind had already been opened by Miller, thus my vote goes to him.

Paul

Watchmen and Miller's DD - that's a tough choice. Main reason I started this thread. In the end, the intricacies of Watchmen sealed it for me. Moore's description of the human reaction to impending war, the excellent bits at the end of the comics that supported the overall story, and the tear down of each character were phenomenal. The back-up pirate story was great too! But I sure do like that DD by Miller!

I chose Moore over miller. I enjoy the cerebral stuff. I apreciate Moores anti establishment anti facsist state work done on V for Vendetta, Love his take on superheroes in Miracleman and enjoyed his Pro Green views in Swamp thing. What can I say I guess I am just a hippie wannabe :headbang: