• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What character did you play as a kid!?

58 posts in this topic

"Memories, all alone in the moonlight..."

Sorry.

I remember being a kid and getting together with my cousins on Sundays at my grandparents to play super-heroes. Anyone else?

I may have been six or seven or eight. Can't remember exactly how it went, but it was sort of like choose your super-hero and go at it.

But once, we played 'Avengers' because my older cousins were into Avengers and X-Men. I was a kid and all I knew was Hulk, Spidey, Batman and Superman. However, since we were 'Avengers' none of those characters could be used. This was around the late 70s.

One of my older cousins talked me into being the Vision.

"He's cool," he said. "He can walk through walls and punch people with diamond-hard fists!"

I was like 'wow.'

Then someone older wanted to be the Vision and I was talked out of that character and the same cousin told me I could be Thor.

"What does he do?" I asked.

"He carries a hammer and throws it at people."

Bummer, I thought. At the time, I didn't know Thor from apple and all I could picture was a construction guy in a brown suit hurling hammers around at folks.

If I only knew back then what I know now..I would have called the wrath of Odin down on all there A$$'s!!! grin.gif Teach them to take my character!!

Any fond memories from the forum?

I was a three-year old Superman in underoos attempting to lift the house

by using the column on the front porch. I once held up the car while my Dad

changed the oil, but I think there might have been a jack helping me out a little.

It's the late 60's and we are playing Ninjas, my sister is the Ega Ninja's (goody goodies), I am the Kouga Ninja and my elder brother is the evil Fuma Kataro (6 years older than me).

If it wasn't ninja's then it was playing the roller game by running around and around the clothesline.

If we did play super heroes then I was always Hawkman.

As much as I can recall...I used to be Spidey most, and a little Hulk and "Rock Man" ("Thing" did not stick) too!

I had a bad experience when pretending to be a DC superhero (which may be a subconscious reason why I heavily prefer Marvel).

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I was battling my brother one day. I was Superman and he was someone whose arse I wanted to kick (can't remember who). We were jumping on the bed as high as we could, wrasslin', pushing, etc. Then my brother rolled off the bed and fell on his back and I, genius that I was, decided that it would be a good idea to jump as high as I could and come straight down flying "fists first" at him (like Superman!) and smash him!

sumo.gifdevil.gif

Problem was my brother did not think it was such a hot idea to receive said "smash" and moved.

shocked.gifforeheadslap.gif

That didn't work out well for me... frown.gif that was the first and only limb I ever broke (excluding a couple of fingers from slamming on lowered basketball rims). Anyway, my left wrist snapped and I was stunned, looked at it and started wailing!

My arm looked like a cartoon!... like I slammed it down on a triangle and the arm held that shape. My parents were out and my "Oma" (German grandmother) was frantically trying to find someone to drive me to the hospital. I did not get any pain killers for about 45 minutes... and I doubt it was very strong since I didn't shut up. They eventually "yanked my arm" to straighten it out.. that sucked big time... no more flying DC superheroes after that!!

893naughty-thumb.gif893whatthe.giftonofbricks.gif

I always liked the cartoon " Space Ghost " I would get into my "outfit" , get my mothers " Special Bracelet " and run around the house and yard pretending to be a Super Hero !!! Gee. .almost brings tears to my eyes !! foreheadslap.gif

Oh yeah. I just remembered I'd put a ring on, any ring. (Usually made of plastic) Made me an instant Green Lantern. (That bracelet thing you just mentioned made me remember) Amazing what you can remember doing almost 40 years ago.

In the 50's I played Zorro. I had a Zorro kit - mask, cape and sword. Also had a Hopalong Cassidy kit with hat and guns and holster.

I never played Superman - I really enjoyed watching the series in the 50's but for some reason, never hooked into him as a char I could play! Such is youth.

(excluding a couple of fingers from slamming on lowered basketball rims).

Yeah, those 5 foot rims are brutal ! foreheadslap.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif good one!

Actually I could throw down on 8' to 8' 1/2" pretty good.

It was loads of fun! I welted up my arm something fierce because I get carried away!

In the 50's I played Zorro. I had a Zorro kit - mask, cape and sword. Also had a Hopalong Cassidy kit with hat and guns and holster.

I never played Superman - I really enjoyed watching the series in the 50's but for some reason, never hooked into him as a char I could play! Such is youth.

I had dreams of being Superman. Well actually Superboy. Problem was, in most of my dreams I couldn't fly very well and I kept flying into buildings. Thought maybe jumping off some "monkey bars" (I played on them quite a bit at school) would help, but I kept hitting the ground.

I can't believe I'm remembering this stuff.

Problem was, in most of my dreams I couldn't fly very well and I kept flying into buildings.

I was a darn good flyer in my kid dreams. I remember jumping off the top of hills and just flying a few feet above the surface of the hill - kind of like sledding but a few feet above the ground. Used to fly like that a lot. Was a blast.

Problem was, in most of my dreams I couldn't fly very well and I kept flying into buildings.

I was a darn good flyer in my kid dreams. I remember jumping off the top of hills and just flying a few feet above the surface of the hill - kind of like sledding but a few feet above the ground. Used to fly like that a lot. Was a blast.

Well I was obviously deprived as a child. BUT.....I think I turned out ok. I am thinking I probably had trouble flying 'cause I was smart enough to realize I couldn't. Obviously it was my sub-conscious mind protecting my link to reality. grin.gif