• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are late 1970's CGC 9.8 comics a good "investment"?

Do you think (non-ASM & X-men) late 1970s CGC 9.8 will be a good financial investment?  

189 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think (non-ASM & X-men) late 1970s CGC 9.8 will be a good financial investment?

32 posts in this topic

Other than the titles in high demand like ASM & X-men, how do people feel about the "investment" quality of 1975 to 1980 bronze comics in CGC 9.8 condition?

Many of these can be bought for less than $100 and there are usually only a few known copies in CGC 9.8. Do you think the market will eventually realize these are scarce in 9.8 and we will see prices drastically increase one day into the $500 to $1000 range on some of this stuff? Or are there simply too many 9.8 copies (or potential 9.8 copies) out there due to warehouse finds of this stuff.

Anything grab your attention from the late 70s?

Or are there simply too many 9.8 copies (or potential 9.8 copies) out there due to warehouse finds of this stuff.

(thumbs u (thumbs u

Any significant increase in pricing and demand will bring this stuff out like gangbusters.

Nope, you don't want any of this stuff. Just move along, nothing to see here. :whistle:

Seriously though, I wouldn't dare look at any of them as "investments". They seem to spike at times and then fall way down at others...even many of the #1s and keys.

Seriously though, I wouldn't dare look at any of them as "investments".

I consider any comic I buy that does not have Batman in the comic to be an "investment" because I have no real attachment to them and would sell them at any time. That is why I would call them "investments".

I consider any comic I buy that does not have Batman in the comic to be an "investment" because I have no real attachment to them and would sell them at any time. That is why I would call them "investments".

Well, then I'd call them high risk investments. They're mostly all I collect and for every one that I could make an "over" on, there is atleast one I'd take a big "under" on.

Let me share some pain with you. Some time back I bid on the very first Planet of the Apes (1974) #1 cgc 9.8 to show up on the census. I lost and it went for $710. This seller than listed another one, so I bid on it (now the 2nd one on the census). I got bid up and won it for $700.

Now there are 42 of them on census and the last one I saw closed out for $131.

Luckily, I didn't buy this book as an investment, but as a huge POTA fan and BA comic book fan, but it still stings a bit.

Don't get me wrong, I've had some good buys too, but like I said, I could probably show you atleast one example that went the other way for every one of them.

Other than the titles in high demand like ASM & X-men, how do people feel about the "investment" quality of 1975 to 1980 bronze comics in CGC 9.8 condition?

Many of these can be bought for less than $100 and there are usually only a few known copies in CGC 9.8. Do you think the market will eventually realize these are scarce in 9.8 and we will see prices drastically increase one day into the $500 to $1000 range on some of this stuff? Or are there simply too many 9.8 copies (or potential 9.8 copies) out there due to warehouse finds of this stuff.

Anything grab your attention from the late 70s?

I can't answer the poll as it doesn't seem that there is an answer I agree with.

My opinion is that if the people that loved and read these books off the shelves/newstand have gotten to a point in their lives that they have some loose Cash to spend which I'm sure is coming soon that they will spend it to collect what they loved earlier on. This era you speak of is not too far off from happening but then again it has to be a title of some significance. If only a small select group of people want the books........ it won't be as much a money producing affair as say when you have a few collectors of a certain title trying to get the best copies in which case the 9.8's usually are.

Well, then I'd call them high risk investments. They're mostly all I collect and for every one that I could make an "over" on, there is atleast one I'd take a big "under" on.

Let me share some pain with you. Some time back I bid on the very first Planet of the Apes (1974) #1 cgc 9.8 to show up on the census. I lost and it went for $710. This seller than listed another one, so I bid on it (now the 2nd one on the census). I got bid up and won it for $700.

Luckily, I didn't buy this book as an investment, but as a huge POTA fan and BA comic book fan, but it still stings a bit.

Don't get me wrong, I've had some good buys too, but like I said, I could probably show you atleast one example that went the other way for every one of them.

eeps.

Guess with CGC so young in the comic world it's kind of a difficult thing to really give a solid prediction on.

Nope, you don't want any of this stuff. Just move along, nothing to see here. :whistle:

Seriously though, I wouldn't dare look at any of them as "investments". They seem to spike at times and then fall way down at others...even many of the #1s and keys.

Well put! :applause:

OUCH! That`s the thing about comics from this era and later: there are so many well preserved copies sitting in collections, dealer inventories and warehouses. As soon as prices start spiking high enough to make it an absolute no-brainer to slab a bunch and sell, they will come pouring out in unbelievable volumes, such as 42 9.8 copies of POTA #1. To me, the fact that a 9.8 copy can even command $131 with 41 other copies in the Census (and who knows how many more unslabbed) out there is amazing.

The sole exception I can think of is a comic like ASM 300 which has such an incredibly deep pool of demand, or independents like TMNT #1, Usagi, Bone, etc. which were produced in extremely low numbers. But mainstream Marvel and DC titles? Fugeddaboutit!

The answer is "it depends"....adding to what Tim said...some titles were printed in low numbers, especially around the time of the DC implosion. Granted the majority of books here were forgettable...but if you knew current demand in the market for certain books, you could do well.

In other words, unless you knew demand specifically required by someone collecting right now--or the book is a key produced in low numbers, the answer is probably no.

BTW, I've been needing quite a few HOM and Unexpected Dollar comics that I will pay big bucks on in ubber hg. :baiting:

I certainty feel your pain, as this is a classic example of dilution. As the number of high-grade certified books increase, the value of the existing books decrease. And your investment is worth less.

It happens in the stock market and it happens in the collectables market. Investors will see their equity reduced as newly certified high-grade books come to market.

And it will happen whether those books are from a "new find" or if they are "helped" to reach that high grade level.

I couldn't answer the poll either as I think many comics from this period are getting great prices in 9.8.

How many star wars #1s are there in the census at 9.8, and what is the gpa value for it? I imagine it is decent.

Sure, but you guys are quoting key #1 issues like POTA #1.

What about those non-keys of titles with lower print runs, stuff like a Freedom Fighters #3, or a Spider-Woman #5, or a Rag-Man #4, or Howard the Duck #8.

I imagine some of these more unpopular titles are going to be very hard to find in CGC 9.8, especially all the DC titles cancelled in 1978. Some of these are still very cheap to buy, in the $50 to $100 range.

I just think that some of these are going to be very hard to find in 9.8, just because print runs were low, and people always found these titles unpopular, and the comics ended up in quarter bins.

It is comics like that where I wonder if prices could go from $50 today to $500 in the future.

I guess your little story simply confirms what JC was saying earlier. (thumbs u

Late 70s and above comics are like modern day new electronics. If you want to be the first to buy, buy wisely, as I am sure more and better ones will resurface soon for less money.

I guess your little story simply confirms what JC was saying earlier. (thumbs u

Yep, and guess who flooded the market with a bunch of them. hm

Sure, but you guys are quoting key #1 issues like POTA #1.

What about those non-keys of titles with lower print runs, stuff like a Freedom Fighters #3, or a Spider-Woman #5, or a Rag-Man #4, or Howard the Duck #8.

I imagine some of these more unpopular titles are going to be very hard to find in CGC 9.8, especially all the DC titles cancelled in 1978. Some of these are still very cheap to buy, in the $50 to $100 range.

I just think that some of these are going to be very hard to find in 9.8, just because print runs were low, and people always found these titles unpopular, and the comics ended up in quarter bins.

It is comics like that where I wonder if prices could go from $50 today to $500 in the future.

Keep in mind that many of these non-key books are out there ungraded becasue many don't see them as being worth getting graded. I own a good handful of "1 and onlys" in the census, but that doesn't mean they are rare or scarce, just not in demand enough to get submitted.

BTW: You don't want any of those poopey Spider-Womans. :devil: