• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Record Price of $412 for Batman #286

22 posts in this topic

This has to be a record for a late 1970's Batman comic.

Further to my post about late 1970's CGC in 9.8, someone has decided to pay $412 for Batman #286 in this auction. It's a nice Joker cover, but come on .......

What surprised me even more was $355 for Batman #287

Makes my recent purchase of the Marshall Rogers Detective #468 in 9.8 look like a huge bargain by comparison

You have to take in account hat he also has a loyal buyers, always has great scans of the book.

On a 9.8 I should hope to God that a scan is not necessary. All 9.8's should look exactly the same.... period. Otherwise what is the point of having a 9.8 rating.

You have to take in account hat he also has a loyal buyers, always has great scans of the book.

On a 9.8 I should hope to God that a scan is not necessary. All 9.8's should look exactly the same.... period. Otherwise what is the point of having a 9.8 rating.

A scan should be necessary...I don't care if God himself graded it 9.8...the BUYER needs to be happy too...The old addage "buy the book, not the grade" motto applies here...especially if insane multiples are in effect.

They don't all look the same at all. 9.8s can have a variety of production defects, including some pretty bad miswraps.

I think the key here in this sale is BATMAN. The other thread asked about "late 70s 9.8s in general" which wont be great investments. But even I have been pondering extending an upgrade foray on Batman and Detective thru 320 and 500 myself lately. As time goes on, later books do tend to appear on the collecting horizon.

It wasnt too long ago that ALL bronze was "too new and too abundant to be worth anything."

But what keeps me from buying them is having to go after 9.6s and 9.8s to be worth anything by scarcity, and Im not convinced they will remain or end up "scarce" in 5 years or so.