• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Print run question

29 posts in this topic

The records show X-Men #1 (5 covers) totaling 1,924,100 (Capitol City orders). With the Beast cover hitting 424,800 (highest). Spawn in comparison is only showing 204,000 (shrug)

I think you'd be right...

John (thumbs u

As far as the modern era is concerned, it's X-Men 1, with X-Force 1 (urgh) a close second.

Yep... records show 1/A as having 806,100 orders... however, it doesn't show the numbers for the other four covers! Unless that is total??? (shrug)

John (thumbs u

As far as the modern era is concerned, it's X-Men 1, with X-Force 1 (urgh) a close second.

Yep... records show 1/A as having 806,100 orders... however, it doesn't show the numbers for the other four covers! Unless that is total??? (shrug)

John (thumbs u

Pretty sure that covers A - D had roughly the same print run, with E a little less. I remember at the time being told that X-Force 1 had a print run in excess of X-Men 1, which made sense (every collection I bought for years afterwards had at least 5 copies of that tripe).

I've heard that X-Men #1 was the best selling American comic book of all time so extrapolated from that that it had the highest print run as well. The Wikipedia page for [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men_%28vol._2%29]X-Men Vol. 2[/link] says the book sold over 8 million copies and links to an old CBR story that claims "over 7 million". A search for "best selling comic of all time" leads to a few pages that basically say each consecutive Marvel gimmick #1 sold more than the last. So Spider-Man #1 was highest selling at one point, then X-Force #1 came out and eclipsed its sales, then X-Men #1 came out and then people may have started getting the point because no more comics sold higher amounts.

:banana: Jim Lee X-Men

-Bob

then X-Men #1 came out and then people may have started getting the point because no more comics sold higher amounts.

The point people were getting was that there was no logic in buying multiple copies of this so-called "collector's item" as there was an avalanche of them.

This realization only occurred after they bought all 5 covers, of course.

So I guess the best investment key book is a X-men 1 V2

in CGC 9.8 and up.

It should be the cornerstone of all collections because it is so popular.

:cloud9:

You know, just out of sheer meaness - there should be a mock

news report where one of these sold for $200,000 just to drive

the collecting world into a not_in_tune_with_social_norms frewenzy!!

lol