• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New guy!

43 posts in this topic

Hiya. I've been lurking for awhile, getting the feel of things, and this is my very first post!

This is a great forum and I am happy to have found it. I have noticed that many people, like me, left the hobby for a period, only to return. I wonder if our reasons are similar?

For me, buying new issues just got too expensive. And being an X-Men fan meant it was real expensive! In the late 80s it became impossible for me to keep up. I tried Batman in the 90s and the same thing happened. Too much branching out! Look, when a character is popular you sell large print runs. Do you have to have multiple monthlies featuring the exact same guy?

Today I'm back because I buy only older comics and there's a readily accessible internet marketplace. Haven't read anything new in years, except the occasional Alex Ross work.

Thanks for letting me rant! I'll be around.

For me, buying new issues just got too expensive. And being an X-Men fan meant it was real expensive! In the late 80s it became impossible for me to keep up. I tried Batman in the 90s and the same thing happened. Too much branching out! Look, when a character is popular you sell large print runs. Do you have to have multiple monthlies featuring the exact same guy?

Welcome to the forums!

I agree with you there -- way too much branching out took place and still does. Too many special issues. Too many limited series. Rebooting series with new #1s. Overexposure and dilution of popular characters.

That was the way I felt about Spider-Man, which seems much like your experience with Batman. Pretty soon I couldn't even tell the titles apart or see a reason for 4 (minimum) different Spider-Man titles per month. It seemed like the marketing of the title(s) came to be more important than selling good comics.

Only gradually have I returned to purchasing new titles after that burn-out. And I'm just keeping myself focused on a few core titles and ignoring the rest of the marketing hype.

Hi and welcome to the boards!

Like you, I was one of the many who left the hobby because of ever-increasing comic costs and the fact that you had to pick up 10 gazillion comics to find out what was going on in your favorite title!

The Spidey movie brought me back..I collect old titles also. I swore off the new stuff at first also, but lately I've been reading the Loeb/Lee run on Batman...

Other new titles I've read recently:

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (TP)

Superman, Batman: Generations (TP)

Supreme Power

Check them out. They're pretty good if you don't like them cutting into your back issue budget! (New comics are like chocolate cake. A little slice never hurt anybody...)

Welcome! thumbsup2.gif

It's the obvious question, so...what's up with the moniker!?!? confused-smiley-013.gif

( gossip.gif there's a guy here named greggy that wears short shorts...)

So I've read... However, I built up a resistance to questionable fashion sense as a child in the 70s, so I think I'll be ok.

"Zanarkand" is the name of a city in the game Final Fantasy X. I just like it. cool.gif

Welcome to the boards.... hi.gif

Do you know anything about restoring comics. grin.gif

Just joking.

I thought I knew a thing or two until I started reading here. Especially this chap povertyrow. I even tried the Wonder bread thing. All I got was crumbs.

Welcome to the boards.... hi.gif

Do you know anything about restoring comics. grin.gif

Just joking.

I thought I knew a thing or two until I started reading here. Especially this chap povertyrow. I even tried the Wonder bread thing. All I got was crumbs.

I tried it as well, but the PB&J just made the comics all sticky, instantly becoming part of the "greggy sticky" pedigree. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'll probably end up selling them to Darth....