• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many Green Lantern #1 does a really good auction need?

89 posts in this topic

Well, based on Heritage's upcoming auction, at least 3. 9.0, 7.5, and 7.0. Seems like too many at one time.

One of the numerous examples where Heritage "violates" a well-settled auction rule not to auction off items that are too similar in nature, whether title/issue and/or grade. However, it obviously works for them from a financial standpoint as they continually repeat this trend all the time.

Well, based on Heritage's upcoming auction, at least 3. 9.0, 7.5, and 7.0. Seems like too many at one time.

One of the numerous examples where Heritage "violates" a well-settled auction rule not to auction off items that are too similar in nature, whether title/issue and/or grade. However, it obviously works for them from a financial standpoint as they continually repeat this trend all the time.

Can't the consignor pull their lot or put it off until a later auction. I know I have done that in the past. I think it might be a little hasty to put it all on Heritage.

[quote name=batman_fan hm ]Well, based on Heritage's upcoming auction, at least 3. 9.0, 7.5, and 7.0. Seems like too many at one time.

Can't the consignor pull their lot or put it off until a later auction. I know I have done that in the past. I think it might be a little hasty to put it all on Heritage.

Assuming having pulled your lot you don't get stigma from these boards about the nature and/or purpose for having done so at a later date.

One of the reasons people use auction houses is to realise a high return on their books and to recieve a certain level of marketing, protection and expertise. . You pay a pretty hefty percentage to have things taken care of. And that should mean that the auction house tells you that it might be better to wait until an upcoming auction to list your key comic.For what heritage makes off of these books, the least they can do is know when they have three key books up for auction and give sellers a choice on what to do about it. What are they being paid for anyway?

Well not that I feel like defending HA but they do have the 9.0 in a February auction. I imagine that none of the consignors want to wait until mid 2008 to auction their book off. So one way or another there will be two GL #1's in one of the auctions.

Plus two in one auction might give me a better shot at getting one ;)

It could also pull up the price of the lower rated ones as those who are knocked out of the higher graded copies switch to the lower one on the basis of better to have one that not.

Well not that I feel like defending HA but they do have the 9.0 in a February auction. I imagine that none of the consignors want to wait until mid 2008 to auction their book off. So one way or another there will be two GL #1's in one of the auctions.

Plus two in one auction might give me a better shot at getting one ;)

I forgot about that.... hm

For what heritage makes off of these books, the least they can do is know when they have three key books up for auction and give sellers a choice on what to do about it.

Not to be contrary here, BH, but how do we know they didn't let the consignors know. When I've dealt with them in the past they have always let me know if there are like items in the same auction and given me the choice of whether to place it there anyway or wait.

For what heritage makes off of these books, the least they can do is know when they have three key books up for auction and give sellers a choice on what to do about it.

Not to be contrary here, BH, but how do we know they didn't let the consignors know. When I've dealt with them in the past they have always let me know if there are like items in the same auction and given me the choice of whether to place it there anyway or wait.

You are a indeed a contrarion, Mr. Bedrock. Having said that though, you do make a good point, but since I am a glass half empty kind of guy, I prefer to think the worst.

Actually Mark to Comiclink's credit they have done this with a few of my books recently. It would be nice if we saw a few more lower grade GL#1's in the same auction maybe a 2.0-4.0 copy as they would appeal to different markets. I noticed recently that a 4.0 that sold on Comiclink sold for well under guide and I'm pretty sure a 6.0 copy on EBay was at or just below guide as well which I find shocking.

hello all...

I just picked up a 6.5 at under 75% of guide....GL 1's are "not" in demand right now, and selling well below guide...I Think even mark sold that 9.0 at 10% under guide, just last year, and the last 5 sales I know of, are at 60-75% of guide (none being higher than a 6.5, though)...maybe nicer copies will get closer to guide, but definitely a "way" under guide book

rick

Actually Mark to Comiclink's credit they have done this with a few of my books recently. It would be nice if we saw a few more lower grade GL#1's in the same auction maybe a 2.0-4.0 copy as they would appeal to different markets. I noticed recently that a 4.0 that sold on Comiclink sold for well under guide and I'm pretty sure a 6.0 copy on EBay was at or just below guide as well which I find shocking.

All the Green Lantern books are selling at guide and below right now. Same thing with Flash. Not sure why, they are both great titles. (shrug)

Right now is a good opportunity to pick up some great books! (thumbs u

It could also pull up the price of the lower rated ones as those who are knocked out of the higher graded copies switch to the lower one on the basis of better to have one that not.

I have often wondered about how the dynamics of this actually plays out in bidding, as when you see a key GA book on ebay you will often see another person put up a second copy of the book. Clearly the second seller thinks there's an advantage to be had there over just listing the book at some other time. I've often been curious if it works out to the second seller's advantage.

hello all...

I just picked up a 6.5 at under 75% of guide....GL 1's are "not" in demand right now, and selling well below guide...I Think even mark sold that 9.0 at 10% under guide, just last year, and the last 5 sales I know of, are at 60-75% of guide (none being higher than a 6.5, though)...maybe nicer copies will get closer to guide, but definitely a "way" under guide book

rick

Ah so that was you, nice pick up. Really would love to find a nice 3.0 copy for myself one day.

My comment was not limited to comic book auction sites but to auction houses in general. Most follow the golden rule not to offer too many of the same or similar item in a single auction or to re-offer the same unsold item in a subsequent auction in close time proximity. For its own reasons, both good and bad, as well as understandable and not so understandable (to me at least), Heritage simply doesn't follow this general rule.

That said, I'm sure if a consignor asked that this not occur to their book they would have the option of pulling it from the auction. Whether Heritage honors the request not to include similar books would likely depend on the book in question.

As far as GL #1, for whatever reason, it is not a high demand book, especially in HG. I sold my CGC 9.0 for $35k, which is several thousand below guide. This book simply doesn't sell for a premium, even though at that grade you would think so. I guess it follows the same syndrome as Flash: Flash #1 - awesome; All Flash #1 - not so awesome; All American #16 - awesome; Green Lantern #1 - not so awesome.

The REAL Question is:

How many Green Lantern #1 does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

My thoughts exactly.

I also noticed CL is auctioning off a G/L so does that make 4 copies out of 53 about to hit the market?

I guess the old punchline applies:

"some fish are for eating while others are for buying and selling".

Perhaps, most comics are for buying and selling?

Speaking of CL auction: Did I read it correctly that there are 5 Amazing Fantasy 15's in the current auction? Add 2 copies by Heritage in the next few months and I'm beginning to wonder if the book really is in short supply? CGC has graded just under 1000 to date. How many are really out there still not graded?