• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do we need a "who are the good guys" posted thread in the marketplace.

173 posts in this topic

It's very easy to do 1,000 posts...I think I was lurking/ reading the forum for about 2 years, with a total of 5 posts...yet others posted 1500 in a matter of months...I noticed one person posting an ASM #1 yesterday who is an established California dealer, lots of people knew the person posting IN person...and seemed thrilled to see him...would it make sense to reject someone like that...?

I understand what you are seeking, some kind of quality, substance...but I'm not sure post numbers would do it...

Perhaps references? Not sure how that would work...but I don't buy from someone new unless someone else I trust knows them, or of them...whether on or off the forum.

meh

Yeh...there isn't some hard fast rule that'll work but something needs to be done...

As far as a seller with good recommendations...shouldn't he/she be a member of the Forum in some respect before hawking their wares? If they are here to primarily sell their comics then I suggest they are here for the wrong reasons and shouldn't be allowed...

Jim

What ever happened to the proposal that no one could buy/sell in the Marketplace unless they had a minimum post count?

Jim

One word - graemlins.

Well...I would institute a minimum of 1000 posts before allowing to buy/sell. That's alot of graemlins...and those doing so at that minimum to boost their count will be noticed...

The purpose of a "Forum" only Marketplace is to have regulars be able to capitalize on it. I know in the past some of the problem children have come from newbies or infrequent posters. By instituting a firm and substantial minimum would weed those out as well as giving both buyers and sellers a better feel on who they're doing business with...

Jim

It's very easy to do 1,000 posts...I think I was lurking/ reading the forum for about 2 years, with a total of 5 posts...yet others posted 1500 in a matter of months...I noticed one person posting an ASM #1 yesterday who is an established California dealer, lots of people knew the person posting IN person...and seemed thrilled to see him...would it make sense to reject someone like that...?

I understand what you are seeking, some kind of quality, substance...but I'm not sure post numbers would do it...

Perhaps references? Not sure how that would work...but I don't buy from someone new unless someone else I trust knows them, or of them...whether on or off the forum.

meh

I think you are referring to A-1 comics. I have purchased several books off of eBay from them. So, I guess they have a history. They could be vouched for and granted an early selling "license."

meh

Yeh...there isn't some hard fast rule that'll work but something needs to be done...

As far as a seller with good recommendations...shouldn't he/she be a member of the Forum in some respect before hawking their wares? If they are here to primarily sell their comics then I suggest they are here for the wrong reasons and shouldn't be allowed...

Jim

I assume the mods could 'validate' members so that only certain people can post to the Marketplace?

If so, you then have the question of vetting, which IMHO can only be done by long-standing forum members. Anyone who wants to buy or sell in the Marketplace has to submit their name to the 'panel' and the panel makes the decision.

meh

Jim

Absolutely...as a matter of fact, I had books I thought about selling after I saw the sales forum. ( I didn't even know it existed before someone sent me a link) ..I knew I HAD references, cause I actually knew a couple of people from here...but I knew I wasn't known (despite my ebay feedback) so...I gave them to a friend on consignment...I felt funny even thinking of a sales thread until I realized how nice people here were (I had been warned..;) and not till after I made some purchases...the same way I never sold on Ebay until I made some purchases and established feedback.

But is the problem the sellers, or the buyers? The selling problem could be solved ...if there IS one...by requiring a no questions return policy...as for the problem with the buyers...and odd people showing up and buying...and not paying...well...are you going to require references before buying? What about the VCC, I thought the idea was to encourage new people to buy? That might be not be so easy if you don't let them buy without a resume.

it's a problem for sure...but I'd suggest a committee be formed that takes suggestions and have the committee make some proposal that could be voted on...in a poll.

What ever happened to the proposal that no one could buy/sell in the Marketplace unless they had a minimum post count?

Jim

One word - graemlins.

Well...I would institute a minimum of 1000 posts before allowing to buy/sell. That's alot of graemlins...and those doing so at that minimum to boost their count will be noticed...

The purpose of a "Forum" only Marketplace is to have regulars be able to capitalize on it. I know in the past some of the problem children have come from newbies or infrequent posters. By instituting a firm and substantial minimum would weed those out as well as giving both buyers and sellers a better feel on who they're doing business with...

Jim

meh

Well, you got one 'no rate' newbee here and I can tell you it will be a long time before I have 1,000 post. I just can not spend that much time here ~ Too each their own, but between work, family, outside stuff, my hobby only gets so much.

I am a 100% Feedback e-Bayer (1,599 so far) and only found you guys few weeks ago ~ and Very Glad I did.

I have already conducted 3 deals here on the boards and the 4th just tonight.

I would really hate to be cut off but I can always go back to the 'Bay'!?

Just rambling thoughts from someone whom you may no longer have need for on this board?

I Love Comics & I BUY Comics! :gossip:

Jim

One word - graemlins.

Jim

meh

I think you are referring to A-1 comics. I have purchased several books off of eBay from them. So, I guess they have a history. They could be vouched for and granted an early selling "license."

Yes, that was who...but it could have been anyone else as well.

I assume the mods could 'validate' members so that only certain people can post to the Marketplace?

If so, you then have the question of vetting, which IMHO can only be done by long-standing forum members. Anyone who wants to buy or sell in the Marketplace has to submit their name to the 'panel' and the panel makes the decision.

The mere fact we are discussing doing anything to validate sellers/buyers on a message forum suggests the Marketplace is out of control in some respects.

Having a panel sounds good in theory but it's practicality is questionable. Who would be on a panel? Who decides? And don't even get me started on the mess that'll happen if a well-liked person is excluded. Even if the reason for doing so is legitimate...

Jim

meh

Jim

Absolutely...as a matter of fact, I had books I thought about selling after I saw the sales forum. ( I didn't even know it existed before someone sent me a link) ..I knew I HAD references, cause I actually knew a couple of people from here...but I knew I wasn't known (despite my ebay feedback) so...I gave them to a friend on consignment...I felt funny even thinking of a sales thread until I realized how nice people here were (I had been warned..;) and not till after I made some purchases...the same way I never sold on Ebay until I made some purchases and established feedback.

But is the problem the sellers, or the buyers? The selling problem could be solved ...if there IS one...by requiring a no questions return policy...as for the problem with the buyers...and odd people showing up and buying...and not paying...well...are you going to require references before buying? What about the VCC, I thought the idea was to encourage new people to buy? That might be not be so easy if you don't let them buy without a resume.

it's a problem for sure...but I'd suggest a committee be formed that takes suggestions and have the committee make some proposal that could be voted on...in a poll.

Ok, some good ideas coming out now. (thumbs u

Sha, I think the VCC is a different animal. It is going to be more like a convention, and there is always theft and underhand dealings at a show, so caveat emptor to both sellers and buyers, IMHO.

However, the daily community transactions should be better policed than they currently are...because they're not. :(

Well, you got one 'no rate' newbee here and I can tell you it will be a long time before I have 1,000 post. I just can not spend that much time here ~ Too each their own, but between work, family, outside stuff, my hobby only gets so much.

I am a 100% Feedback e-Bayer (1,599 so far) and only found you guys few weeks ago ~ and Very Glad I did.

Just rambling thoughts from someone whom you may no longer have need for on this board?

No offense Bubba but until you have more cred, then you should be questioned as far as your buying/selling. To not do so from my perspective is irresponsible...

Jim

meh

Jim

Ok, some good ideas coming out now. (thumbs u

Sha, I think the VCC is a different animal. It is going to be more like a convention, and there is always theft and underhand dealings at a show, so caveat emptor to both sellers and buyers, IMHO.

However, the daily community transactions should be better policed than they currently are...because they're not. :(

This is the kind of stuff I dealt with at my real life job...there are always going to be people unhappy with whatever rules there are...and people looking to get around them...and committees, although the idea makes sense, also means some long drawn out, never ending meetings, while different members try to put forth their ideas...so, it's not going to be easy...

But Nick...I hope it works out for those who are having problems...I still think it's just the 1% lunatic fringe that ruins it for the rest...I really do believe that most people make an honest effort...it's just the bad ones that stick out in our minds...which is a shame.

Perhaps some kind of suggestion thread...with just short, to the point suggestions would be the place to start. No trolling, no BS (if that is spoon, change it to Baloney)

The mere fact we are discussing doing anything to validate sellers/buyers on a message forum suggests the Marketplace is out of control in some respects.

Having a panel sounds good in theory but it's practicality is questionable. Who would be on a panel? Who decides? And don't even get me started on the mess that'll happen if a well-liked person is excluded. Even if the reason for doing so is legitimate...

Jim

OK, choose a ten person panel. I'll throw out there yourself, greggy, old guy, beyonder, flyingdonut, drbanner, burntboy, foolkiller, nik and arexcrooke.

No disrespect to anyone I know who I haven't included...they were the first ten names that came to me who are liked, respected and have been around for some time.

Anyone who wants to buy or sell in the MP has to get a unanimous vote to do so. If anyone is blackballed...tough, and there can be little come-back as nobody will know whether it was one person, or all of them, who gave the thumbs down.

And what will they be looking for?

Longevity. Contribution to the community. Past stellar dealings. Excellent rep elsewhere. Lots of things.

But it CAN be done. (thumbs u

Unanimous vote or majority vote? If you happen to rub someone the wrong way (not like that... perverts), then you're SOL because that one person nixed you. I think that leaves too much room for abuse. Make it a majority, and I think it'd be closer to fair.

And I'm hurt Warlord. You were the first person I bought from here. I didn't realize you harbored arch enemy feelings for me. :sorry:

Unanimous vote or majority vote? If you happen to rub someone the wrong way (not like that... perverts), then you're SOL because that one person nixed you. I think that leaves too much room for abuse. Make it a majority, and I think it'd be closer to fair.

I'd tend to agree. Maybe a committee could consist of 9 members with a two/thirds majority (6) needed to be approved...

Jim

You can't have post counts be the decider, because there are several people who wouldn't qualify with 1000 posts. Mikeyriffhard, for one.

Ghost Town, for another.

A simple (thumbs u from a board member should be enough.

No offense Bubba but until you have more cred, then you should be questioned as far as your buying/selling. To not do so from my perspective is irresponsible...

Jim

Hey Jim,

No offense taken but to be 'real' about it, Anyone including you that does not want me to buy a book from you beause I only have 30 post / because I just got here / or any other reason, just send me a PM and I will not waste your time or mine!

Otherwise you will need to get the Mods to post a 'RULE' about who can and cannot use 'I will Take It!' because if I hit that and you refuse to sell ~ Put yourself on that running list which is starting for backing out on a deal to let the board vote on that ~ , It is messy ~ No doubt about it?

Best of Luck to you folks in all of this!

Eddie

Otherwise you will need to get the Mods to post a 'RULE' about who can and cannot use 'I will Take It!' because if I hit that and you refuse to sell ~ Put yourself on that running list which is starting for backing out on a deal to let the board vote on that ~ , It is messy ~ No doubt about it?

Well isn't that why we are having this discussion? Under the current format, I would sell to you...but if you don't pay, you'd find find yourself on that same list...

Jim

Jim

Hey Jim,

No offense taken but to be 'real' about it, Anyone including you that does not want me to buy a book from you beause I only have 30 post / because I just got here / or any other reason, just send me a PM and I will not waste your time or mine!

Best of Luck to you folks in all of this!

Eddie

I like how you introduced yourself and you have a stellar ebay record. Some may ask to see that feedback page and proof that you're that guy, but you had me at "Well". You are cleared to buy from "thirdgreenham". VCC on October 13/14 :gossip:

Andy