• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Experiment results: at what temperature will a CGC holder deform?

166 posts in this topic

Wow. I was curious too, except I used electricity. Same results though: BCS (baked comic syndrome)

Volts.jpg

Same book too! What are the odds? :insane::kidaround:

lol:applause:

Now send it to someone marked "DO NOT BEND".

lol

I figure he can now run an eBay auction with no pics and a description like, "CGC 9.6 white pages. Case has no cracks or scratches. No refunds on CGC books due to third party grading."

I bet those would sell on ebay.

You could find someone to buy crapinabag on eBay.

:takeit:

After what greggy told me, I wouldn't be surprised. :gossip:

He would know.....I've bought plenty of his crapinabag books. :sumo:

You have been official banned from buying any of my sweet books so Juststopit.DoyouWANTastrike? off.

You have been official banned from buying any of my sweet books so Juststopit.DoyouWANTastrike? off.

Only untill the VCC....

Only untill the VCC....

NO lowball offers until Sunday

Only untill the VCC....

Can't wait that long....all the good stuff will be gone! (shrug)

Only untill the VCC....

Pay full price then

Only untill the VCC....

Pay full price then

:headbang: I can do that!

Before you toss them, can you determine whether either the outer or inner container melted, or did they just deform?

The inner lining melted too at 250 for 5 minutes. At 200 for 5 minutes, I didn't see a problem.

If I ever do this again, I might try 125 degrees for 1 hour. I may also try styrofoam around one (is styrofoam flammable at these temps?).

I have a fire safe rated at 350 for 1 hour. So far, the only change I think I'm going to do is put my most valuable books in the middle of the stack. Who knows, maybe there's an insulating effect. Hmm... another experiment.

Just wanted to hit on a few things regarding fire safes. I remember when the earlier thread was made about rusting staples inside fire safes prompted me to look into what models were best for paper storage, and how they actually worked.

First of all in our case (comics) slabbed comics to be specific are perfectly fine being stored in a 350 degree 60/90 minute fireproof safe. Recently I spoke with Dye Howely at Safeandvualtsstore.com, he broke down how fire safes are made, and how they react during a fire. What alarmed me the most was that he mentioned that all safes, ( even older concrete safes) relied on the moisture inherit in the material to create a steam cloud once the external temperature reached a certain level. This creates an environment that allows the inside to remain as cool as possible while the outside is blazing. So you can obviously see the danger of a comic sitting in a safe totally exposed during a house fire. He said it was reccommended to put ALL paper products in ziplock type plastic bags that can be boiled and still retain their shape.

But after explaining to him about how comics are stored, especially CGC slabbed comics he said that was more then enough protection from the steam created by a safe during a fire. He also said that even though a safe is rated @350 for an hour , that does not mean it will ever reach that temp internally. During a normal house fire, external temps can range from 800-1200, and in that time most homes will either be hit with water by the fire department and cooled, or even if the house burns unattended the fires fuel supply will start to dwindle and the temp will drop as the flames subside. Again, normally well under an hours time in most house fires.

He said the average temp inside a 350 safe during a normal fire is between 120 and 180 degrees. In an extreme case like on the west coast during a brush fire that burns100 homes at a time, all the 350/hour safes they had to drill open held up great..everything inside was unharmed, and all the ones not rated 350 burnt everything inside to ashes. And since paper burns at around 425 I think our comics would hold up well enough in a normal house fire, and the slabs would not come even close to "melting" under normal fire conditions.

He also talked about putting in whats called a "dry rod" which is an electrical device that is inserted into the bottom of the safe that dries out the air to a desired humidity level set by the owner. And on the flip side you can install an internal humidifier to maintain proper moisture if you live in a dry area.

And mentioned a few gun safe models that would be perfect for storing comics in, and at around $500 they seemed fairly priced. So if you need one I would recommend calling him and explaining your needs.

Ze-

He also talked about putting in whats called a "dry rod" which is an electrical device that is inserted into the bottom of the safe that dries out the air to a desired humidity level set by the owner.

Be careful as a "dry rod" is essentially a heater that can raise internal temperatures above the recommended storage temparature for comics.