• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA BEST ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES POLL: RD.5

GA ARTISTS POLL  

231 members have voted

1. 1. GA ARTISTS POLL

164 posts in this topic

Baker, LB Cole and Schomburg on the basis that their story efforts weren't as good as their covers and the other guys deserve to be there on that basis.

This is getting really hard.

I won't say who I voted for - but it wasn't these three - and I am starting to feel unworthy of the task of opining who should go.

I'll agree about Schomburg's covers far outshining his interiors, and to a lesser degree the same with Cole, but Baker was equally good whether doing covers or interiors.

I just voted for Kirby, Kurtzman, & Raboy. It looks like two of mine might be agreed upon by others.

Kirby - imho...His GA stuff is recognizable but that's about it...plus he kept Simon employed. But his best work to me was in the late 50s and early 60s aka Silver Age.

Kurtzman - Just not much of a fan of his work.

Raboy - Same as most have already said. Pretty boy stuff, but it gets repetitive quickly.

That's what she said

And the thread takes a turn for the worse......

Shouldn't you be in bed?

P.S. The reason only one Baker showed up earlier is that I posted before I voted. That way I was "uninfluenced" It was a matter of seconds, though.

That's what she said

And the thread takes a turn for the worse......

Shouldn't you be in bed?

P.S. The reason only one Baker showed up earlier is that I posted before I voted. That way I was "uninfluenced" It was a matter of seconds, though.

I was just messing around. DARTHDIESEL got me with one of those in the 2007 NFL Picks Thread.

Lou Fine and Mac Raboy , 'cause the dang Schomburglers keep trying to steal my Happy Meal.

Kurtzman - Didn't vote for him this round, but will soon. I guess it all depends on ones definition of "artist". If this poll were Greatest Creators of the Golden Age, Kurtzman is top 5, and serious arguement for number 1. I've always viewed Kurtzman, perhaps unfairly, as a writer who does art, not as an artist who writes. I'm not saying the man couldn't draw, he most definitely could. And well too. Kurtzman's strength is in his story telling, his pace of narrative, his comedic timing, and not in his drafting skills.

Just so it's clear, the 3 artists voted off in the last round were Beck, Kamen and Wolverton. I can see why people voted off CC Beck, although I really like his style. He could draw in the more cartoony style that he usually used for his Whiz covers and interiors, but the guy was a fine technical artist as well and I think many of his Whiz covers are really underrated.

For me this round, it's Kurtzman, Kirby and LB Cole. I've explained for reasons for Kurtzman and Cole before. I could vote for Schomburg, but I think it's a wasted vote at this time, so better deployed elsewhere. The only choice that jumped out at me was Kirby, because I don't think he really became the King until the SA. Even during the GA, his Atomic Age work is superior to his 1940s GA work (his long stringy figures in his 40s covers just don't do much for me).

I cannot believe all the votes for Raboy so far! There is just no way anyone can say he's not at least one of the top 10 artists of the GA! The guy's drawings were just plain beautiful! rantrant

I cannot believe all the votes for Raboy so far! There is just no way anyone can say he's not at least one of the top 10 artists of the GA! The guy's drawings were just plain beautiful! rantrant

On this we can definitely agree! If he gets voted out this early it just shows the lack of exposure to or knowledge of one of the true masters of the golden age.

Just so it's clear, the 3 artists voted off in the last round were Beck, Kamen and Wolverton.

(thumbs u Thanks for posting that. I was literally out the door when I put the poll together.

Angelo

I went with Kurtzman, Williamson and Jack Cole. I like Williamson's work, especially with Frazetta, but I feel the others are a bit more deserving to stay. Never been the biggest Jack Cole (even though he did work on the Spirit) or Kurtzman fan.

Angelo

On this we can definitely agree! If he gets voted out this early it just shows the lack of exposure to or knowledge of one of the true masters of the golden age.

My knock on Raboy is that he's an "Illustrator". (Ironic eh? or, possibly, hypocritical.) I'm not saying: " His drawings aren't beautiful." They are.

Here's the question: What's from a photo, and what's from the hand of Raboy?