• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA BEST ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES POLL: RD.5

GA ARTISTS POLL  

231 members have voted

1. 1. GA ARTISTS POLL

164 posts in this topic

lol I like Raboy but truth is all these guys, except for LB Cole and Kurtzman as someone pointed out, were great artist. Time to post some art if you want your guy to stay lol

I've tried my best to help Reed Crandall along ...

Why am I having trouble with this poll? Normally I can pick a clear loser, or at least one I dont like that much.. but 3?

I read this list.. and find some merit in all of the artists listed. Ack... they are like children, how can one pick a least fav?

I will do it fast, like taking off a Band aid.

Happy now?

:sumo:

I cannot believe all the votes for Raboy so far! There is just no way anyone can say he's not at least one of the top 10 artists of the GA! The guy's drawings were just plain beautiful! rantrant

If this was based on cover art only I'm pretty sure we'd see him on the Top 10 list. And no I don't think he only used photos nor do I think photos are a disqualifier. Matt Baker, for example, was known to have lots of "reference" photos to utilize in his drawings.

I cannot believe all the votes for Raboy so far! There is just no way anyone can say he's not at least one of the top 10 artists of the GA! The guy's drawings were just plain beautiful! rantrant

If this was based on cover art only I'm pretty sure we'd see him on the Top 10 list. And no I don't think he only used photos nor do I think photos are a disqualifier. Matt Baker, for example, was known to have lots of "reference" photos to utilize in his drawings.

Sure, Baker has a lot of photo "references". All of these artists do. Not all of them have photo "copies".

I just voted, and, with the exception of Kurtzman, it seems as if everyone is all over the map at this point. However, I don't understand how Heath can be in a 3-way tie at 3rd right now.

Probably because most people don't think his best work was in the GA. He's going to be next on my hit list for that reason.

Sure, Baker has a lot of photo "references". All of these artists do. Not all of them have photo "copies".

What are you saying, that Raboy lightboxed all of his work? Where are you getting that from?

lol I like Raboy but truth is all these guys, except for LB Cole and Kurtzman as someone pointed out, were great artist. Time to post some art if you want your guy to stay lol

I've tried my best to help Reed Crandall along ...

Worked for me.

Why am I having trouble with this poll? Normally I can pick a clear loser, or at least one I dont like that much.. but 3?

I read this list.. and find some merit in all of the artists listed. Ack... they are like children, how can one pick a least fav?

I will do it fast, like taking off a Band aid.

Happy now?

:sumo:

So which children did you throw to the wolves?

After much internal debate, I went with:

Kurtzman (no brainer at this point)

Heath (I have a lot of respect for him, but he's always been a notch below my favorite artists in the SA, and the same holds when you throw him in the pot with all these GA greats)

Kirby (While I have limited exposure to his GA work, I know it's not as distinctive as his SA stuff. And the competition's getting tough...)

Toth was going to be my next pick...

Baker, LB Cole and Schomburg on the basis that their story efforts weren't as good as their covers and the other guys deserve to be there on that basis.

This is getting really hard.

:news:Actually, Schomburg was so good that he did almost no story pages ever! No publisher wanted his talents wasted on interior artwork.

West

Just so it's clear, the 3 artists voted off in the last round were Beck, Kamen and Wolverton. I can see why people voted off CC Beck, although I really like his style. He could draw in the more cartoony style that he usually used for his Whiz covers and interiors, but the guy was a fine technical artist as well and I think many of his Whiz covers are really underrated.

For me this round, it's Kurtzman, Kirby and LB Cole. I've explained for reasons for Kurtzman and Cole before. I could vote for Schomburg, but I think it's a wasted vote at this time, so better deployed elsewhere. The only choice that jumped out at me was Kirby, because I don't think he really became the King until the SA. Even during the GA, his Atomic Age work is superior to his 1940s GA work (his long stringy figures in his 40s covers just don't do much for me).

I have to agree on Beck and Kirby - Some of Beck's covers did a far better job of showcasing his talents than his interiors did - the art inside many of the Captain Marvel books looks flat due to lack of background detail - whereas Kurtzman had a deceptively simple style (especially his war stuff) - achieving in a few bold lines a level of depth and dynamism missing in the works of some more technical artists.

Kirby while always dynamic, and certainly one of the better GA artists, as you stated improved considerably after the war, and reached his pinnacle in the SA.

I agree. There were no qualifications in this poll that cover artists should be judged differently than interior artists. Guys like LB Cole, Schomburg, and others were too busy doing covers to do interiors. They should be judged on the quality of their art.

Just so it's clear, the 3 artists voted off in the last round were Beck, Kamen and Wolverton. I can see why people voted off CC Beck, although I really like his style. He could draw in the more cartoony style that he usually used for his Whiz covers and interiors, but the guy was a fine technical artist as well and I think many of his Whiz covers are really underrated.

For me this round, it's Kurtzman, Kirby and LB Cole. I've explained for reasons for Kurtzman and Cole before. I could vote for Schomburg, but I think it's a wasted vote at this time, so better deployed elsewhere. The only choice that jumped out at me was Kirby, because I don't think he really became the King until the SA. Even during the GA, his Atomic Age work is superior to his 1940s GA work (his long stringy figures in his 40s covers just don't do much for me).

I have to agree on Beck and Kirby - Some of Beck's covers did a far better job of showcasing his talents than his interiors did - the art inside many of the Captain Marvel books looks flat due to lack of background detail - whereas Kurtzman had a deceptively simple style (especially his war stuff) - achieving in a few bold lines a level of depth and dynamism missing in the works of some more technical artists.

Kirby while always dynamic, and certainly one of the better GA artists, as you stated improved considerably after the war, and reached his pinnacle in the SA.

See, this is what makes this type of thing so interesting. I actually like GA Kirby about a billion times better than his silver age stuff. Actually, I am really not a SA Kirby fan at all. I love his Caps and his Sandman stuff and I like some of the esoteric stuff that he did as well.

I may get blasted for this but I voted for LB Cole and Schomburg. LB Cole because his art seems too simplistic and Schomburg because I could never get used to the way he drew faces, seems like every character he drew looked like Cabbage Patch kids.