• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA BEST ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES POLL: RD.5

GA ARTISTS POLL  

231 members have voted

1. 1. GA ARTISTS POLL

164 posts in this topic

To no one in particular (since I came in late to the discussion of Crandall) --

Reed Crandall's work for EC is breathtaking, and he's one of my favorite interior artists. As nice as the posted 40s pages were (thanks Scrooge!), IMO his 50s work was even better. Definitely check out some of his work in the horror and crime ECs when you have the chance.

Here's a beautifully cinematic page from "Carrion Death", Shock Suspenstories #9, about a guy handcuffed to a corpse & lost in the desert. One of my favorites. :cloud9:

This is actually one of my favorite stories from EC. Wasn't this on the TV show as well?

To no one in particular (since I came in late to the discussion of Crandall) --

Reed Crandall's work for EC is breathtaking, and he's one of my favorite interior artists. As nice as the posted 40s pages were (thanks Scrooge!), IMO his 50s work was even better. Definitely check out some of his work in the horror and crime ECs when you have the chance.

Here's a beautifully cinematic page from "Carrion Death", Shock Suspenstories #9, about a guy handcuffed to a corpse & lost in the desert. One of my favorites. :cloud9:

This is actually one of my favorite stories from EC. Wasn't this on the TV show as well?

Tales from the Crypt used it.

I may get blasted for this but I voted for LB Cole and Schomburg. LB Cole because his art seems too simplistic and Schomburg because I could never get used to the way he drew faces, seems like every character he drew looked like Cabbage Patch kids.

No blast from me. No 3rd vote?

Those were 2 of my votes too.

Who's your third vote? 'Fess up.

I dropped a strong clue:

"Some of the same comments apply to Kurztman."

subtly disguised by my anagramatic spelling of his name

I voted L.B. Cole, Schomburg and Kirby so I'm right there with you and Vaughn. Strangely, I agree with Dale. I like Kirby best in the late 50's and early 60's. Give Challengers of the Unknown Kirby any time. I'd better start ducking right now.

As for Raboy as his photo-copies, it's a well known fact that a lot of poses in the later books were simply photostated and pasted onto the new art board. There's an interview somewhere in Alter Ego with an eye-witness to that. I think it's Alter Ego # 6 with an interview of Bob Rogers, Mac Raboy's background artist. Makes me want to pull it tonight to go over again.

I've heard that even the revered Neal Adams advises artists, "Never draw when you can trace..."

But Raboy's likely on my next round of votes.

Jack

See, this is what makes this type of thing so interesting. I actually like GA Kirby about a billion times better than his silver age stuff. Actually, I am really not a SA Kirby fan at all. I love his Caps and his Sandman stuff and I like some of the esoteric stuff that he did as well.

I wholeheartedly agree. (thumbs u

I like his dynamic GA Cap much more than the SA version. His SA art is more refined but I don't find that to be good thing. It just doesn't have the raw energy that the first 10 issues of Captain America Comics had.

This isn't the best example (I'll try to post more later), but I love his splashes in GA Cap.

1595649-_RedSkullSplash.JPG

I really like Kirby's panel work from this time, especially some of the acrobatic sequences from Cap. Awesome stuff. I guess it is unacceptable to say aloud, but I never really like Kirby FF or Thor. I am a much bigger fan of both Ditko and Romita.

Strangely, I agree with Dale. I like Kirby best in the late 50's and early 60's. Give Challengers of the Unknown Kirby any time.

How is that agreeing with Dale? He said he preferred GA Kirby to SA Kirby. (shrug)

The SA didn't start until 1962 / 1963, did it? I hate the 1956 cut-off. My dates are not SA. Call me an original ...

1956, bro.

An old favorite argument, "What time did the Silver Age start?"

The answer that works the best for me is that it didn't start at the same time for every title. It moved in gradually.

("What time did the Dark Ages begin?")

A good example is Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen. What makes Jimmy 1-14 "not Silver Age" and 15 "first Silver Age issue"? The calendar. Jimmy #1 is where the SA run of that book started, if you ask me. Call it a harbinger of the SA, if you prefer.

Jimmy also provides a good Silver/Bronze line, the first Kirby issue.

(Not an original idea, but I can't remember whom to credit with the Jimmy Olsen Theory of Ages.)

Jack

I really like Kirby's panel work from this time, especially some of the acrobatic sequences from Cap. Awesome stuff. I guess it is unacceptable to say aloud, but I never really like Kirby FF or Thor. I am a much bigger fan of both Ditko and Romita.

Absolutely. I'll try to post some of my favorite pages later.

Here's another GA Cap splash. :)

1143091-Parrino2002_Cap8splash.jpg

Personally, I think Al Williamson is the most under-rated guy on the list. His art in many ways is just as good as Frazetta's and he is almost lost in the discussion.

I don't disagree to this. I just feel that if I were to vote for Frazetta now, I would waste one of my votes. No one around here is voting against Frazetta and I don't feel the need to bang my head against a wall ... As for the most under-rated on the list, I'd have to say it's either Crandall or Heath. I am surprised also by the fact that Jack Cole might be booted next round. :boo:

I just feel that if I were to vote for Frazetta now, I would waste one of my votes. No one around here is voting against Frazetta ...

:whistle:

As for the most under-rated on the list, I'd have to say it's either Crandall or Heath. I am surprised also by the fact that Jack Cole might be booted next round. :boo:

I think Heath is getting votes for the same reason as Kirby... his best known work was in the SA.

I'm pulling for Carl Barks to survive. It seemed like every panel was a complete work of art. Also, there are a few fine artist not mentioned, like Mort Meskin and Bob Fuji and Harry Lucey and Bob Montana. I understand that there just isn't enough room and that in the end, Lou Fine and Carl Barks, should survive.

I may get blasted for this but I voted for LB Cole and Schomburg. LB Cole because his art seems too simplistic and Schomburg because I could never get used to the way he drew faces, seems like every character he drew looked like Cabbage Patch kids.

Will Eisner.....

Personally, I think Al Williamson is the most under-rated guy on the list. His art in many ways is just as good as Frazetta's and he is almost lost in the discussion.

williamsonart1.jpg

I know that the discussion is about the artwork, but Holy Fudd!

If Laura were ugly, Doc would have headed off to the golf course and she'd be dead meat. Now there's a nice lesson for the kiddies, presumably written by RIchard Hughes.

Nice-looking story.

Jack

Will Eisner.....

doh!