• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA BEST ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES POLL: RD.5

GA ARTISTS POLL  

231 members have voted

1. 1. GA ARTISTS POLL

164 posts in this topic

LB Cole art may be simple but when you can draw like this, what else do you need to add?

No one's saying LB Cole wasn't talented, and he certainly was unique in the comic field. But his heavy-lined "woodblock print" style just didn't work for the comic book medium, in my opinion.

Not to be contrary, but LB Cole is very popular. Some people love his books.

I think we already discounted that argument. Here it is again with some numbers added:

The Recording Industry Association of America's Top-Selling Albums of All Time*

17 Million

The Bodyguard (soundtrack), Whitney Houston (Arista)

13 Million

Millennium, Backstreet Boys (Jive)

11 Million

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Beatles (Capitol)

[from another sales list]

Total album sales: Under 500,000

A Love Supreme, John Coltrane

Jack

I'm shocked at all the votes for Crandall...so sad...but everyone has their preferences...I suppose.

I think it has more to do with who I consider my favorites ,then whittling away at the list of other quality artists to get to them. This isn't like picking a certain issue to remove from the poll, we are talking about an artist and their body of work here. And that's tough given the choices.

But it has been fun and even enlightening to see the work posted here so far.

Nice thread.

Ze-

I wonder if people are voting properly. Some of the artist that had art shown are getting so much votes and I am thinking the voting is backwards. :shrug: Most of the artist with no exposure have hardly any votes what do you guys think?

Tim,

with great thanks to Roger Hill's research, here are some scans from Alter Ego # 6 (go out and buy a copy). The page featured is from Master 27 (June 1942), with a classic cover. Below, you will see:

1) the printed final page,

2) the original art page without all the photostats pasted on the page

and 3) the final image is showing all photostats on this one single page.

Always makes one wonder if it wouldn't have been faster to re-draw the figures rather than: 1) layout the page so that it'd fit the figures planned on being re-used, 2) run the photostat, 3) cut-the figures, 4) paste the photostats, and 5) mesh with the current art and inking ... :screwy:

I'm not saying Raboy didn't use photostats. But he was using photostats of his own work, no? To me, this indicates that he was lazy, not untalented.

He wasn't lazy, just slow. He tried to perfect every drawing rather than do sub-par work that most comic artists have to do to meet a monthly deadline. I'm not knocking them because they had to feed a family and the comics industry is a harsh master.

LB Cole art may be simple but when you can draw like this, what else do you need to add?

No one's saying LB Cole wasn't talented, and he certainly was unique in the comic field. But his heavy-lined "woodblock print" style just didn't work for the comic book medium, in my opinion.

Not to be contrary, but LB Cole is very popular. Some people love his books.

I'm fully aware of that. But I don't and am explaining why I don't like him.

When you say they don't "work" I have to push back. LB Cole made a living off of reprinted material that was gussied up by new covers that he drew. While it might not be to your personal taste (as limited as that is :baiting: ), clearly it "worked" for a portion of the buying public back then and for the GA comic collectors today.

I like the feathery pencils of Wiliamson and the near brush like quality of his work. I especially like his sci-fi stuff and dinosaur type stuff.

Crandall's strength was in the real world, Williamson in the lush, romantic world of sci-fi and outer space. I appreciate both as artists but I generally prefer the type of images that Williamson drew over those over Crandall. The one exception being Crandall's pirate art which is usually :cloud9:

When you say they don't "work" I have to push back. LB Cole made a living off of reprinted material that was gussied up by new covers that he drew. While it might not be to your personal taste (as limited as that is :baiting: ), clearly it "worked" for a portion of the buying public back then and for the GA comic collectors today.

IT'S

JUST

MY

OPINION!!!

:sumo:

IT'S

JUST

MY

OPINION!!!

YOUR

OPINION

IS

WRONG!!!

:makepoint:

I like the feathery pencils of Wiliamson and the near brush like quality of his work. I especially like his sci-fi stuff and dinosaur type stuff.

Crandall's strength was in the real world, Williamson in the lush, romantic world of sci-fi and outer space. I appreciate both as artists but I generally prefer the type of images that Williamson drew over those over Crandall. The one exception being Crandall's pirate art which is usually :cloud9:

I can see that. In fact, at first blush, I do like Williamson's visions better than Crandall's as you mentioned. However, in the end, beautiful images as Williamson's are, they are more static / posed than Crandall's. It's the dynamism he (Crandall) brings to the equation that edges him out for me. Again, this is really a Sophie's Choice situation ...

I can see that. In fact, at first blush, I do like Williamson's visions better than Crandall's as you mentioned. However, in the end, beautiful images as Williamson's are, they are more static / posed than Crandall's. It's the dynamism he (Crandall) brings to the equation that edges him out for me. Again, this is really a Sophie's Choice situation ...

Allow me to fill in for Paratrooper, for whom the morning probably came far too soon.

SOPHIE'S

OPINION

IS

WRONG!!!

:makepoint:

Jack

(Is that a Wise crack?)

Even more so as they will both be gone before the final rounds - okay, that was sick - I'm sorry :foryou:

Even more so as they will both be gone before the final rounds - okay, that was sick - I'm sorry :foryou:

Their comics will still be in my collection :cloud9: long after this silly exercise is over!

Their comics will still be in my collection :cloud9: long after this silly exercise is over!

We shall see, those Atlas Heath covers may suddenly dissappear from your collection....

We shall see, those Atlas Heath covers may suddenly dissappear from your collection....

That's okay. I'll still my original art. :devil:

IT'S

JUST

MY

OPINION!!!

:sorry: It was hard to tell if you were making a general point or whether it was something specific to your tastes.

IT'S

JUST

MY

OPINION!!!

Philistine.